Lipo bags / Safe-Bat

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smashroth

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hey guys.
I got alot of batteries and I'm probably gonna get more soon, so I'm worried about storing them.
Atm. i have 3x 3s 1000mah, 3x 4s 1550mah, 3x 6s 1300mah, 2x 4s 5000mah, 4x 3s 4000mah and some other batteries, like 3x dji, goggle batteries etc.

What I was thinking was this:

Buying 3 Bat-safes, and then mix the batteries in there to keep it balanced power wise and use a Big lipo bag for charging only.
Cost 3 Bat-safe 1 big lipo bag.

Another thing i was thinking was:

Buying 3x Bat-safes and put lipo bags inside for storing in 2 of them and keep a third one only for charging?
Cost 3 Bat-safe 2x lipo bags

Or is it total overkill. I've seen some videos where the batsafe can't handle a single battery that is stronger then suggested.
So keeping many batteries should get the same result right or am i just being overly cautious?

I'm gonna get a metal rack and put them there about 20-30 cm from the wall and install a smoke detector in the room also, since i dont have the option of storing outside or garage.

Any ideas? Does it help having lipo bag inside the Bat-safe or is that useless?
Money wise I'm thinking 2 batsafe 2 lipo bag is the cheapest. But also the more i have the more room i need also.

Can someone enlighten me?
Joshua Bardwell just told me that its a waste putting a lipo bag inside the bat-safe.
But shouldnt it help a bit atleast? He also said that batsafe should be enough? But that shouldnt be the case with all my batteries right?

I use Lipo bags and ammo boxes. Any good metal box would work. As far as the Lipo bags, I have one for each battery. If have a Lipo fire in the box, the bags will help contain it and not catch other batteries on fire. To me, it's just smart thing to do. Others may think different but that's what I do.

Something else i thought about was getting something like a Bio fireplace, which is actually pretty cheap and i can use it for storage also on top.
But since its bio I'm not sure it can handle the heat if something goes wrong? But they should be fireproof right?
Then i could maybe put in some lipo bags in there just for extra measure or maybe 2x bat-safes? It would still be cheaper then buying 3 bat-safes.
I'm thinking something like this
https://www.daells-bolighus.dk/produkt/biopejs-hvid
Dont worry about price, they are cheap used :)
I use Lipo bags and ammo boxes. Any good metal box would work. As far as the Lipo bags, I have one for each battery. If have a Lipo fire in the box, the bags will help contain it and not catch other batteries on fire. To me, it's just smart thing to do. Others may think different but that's what I do.
How many batteries you got man? I would need like 20 bags when i got all my batteries. Thats alot, i also need the space for that many. I would prefer having it take up less room.

Just a suggestion my man, it's what I do.
I have 6 ground batteries and 5 flight batteries I think.

I have a Kennedy roll around tool box I store all my batteries in. Under the boat 😜
20210807_153810.jpg

Just a suggestion my man, it's what I do.
I have 6 ground batteries and 5 flight batteries I think.
Yeah i would need atleast twice that in bags. And they arent always safe either. But still it should be better, but kinda requires a good amount of room to be able to have 20 of those bags :)
I have a Kennedy roll around tool box I store all my batteries in. Under the boat 😜View attachment 132235
Yeah that is definetly safe for sure, But the cost man :D

Yeah i would need atleast twice that in bags. And they arent always safe either. But still it should be better, but kinda requires a good amount of room to be able to have 20 of those bags :)

Yeah that is definetly safe for sure, But the cost man :D
How much are lipo safes?

Then double them up, still safer than none at all.
Yeah. I'm gonna make a room dedicated for RC when i move at the end of the month, so i might find a solution yet. But yeah i wanted some answers about my questions and maybe even some ideas i didnt think about. Which i already did. So for now I'm still better off than before i made this thread :)
How much are lipo safes?
Bat-safe costs around 75 dollars each. Though the good thing is they have a filter each of them, to take the worst of the toxis fumes. Thats why i wanted them. But having alot of those also gets costly because they have a max amount they can have inside. If it were more like a safe it would have been awesome.

I've seen guys using a BBQ to store their Lipo's, a few build a brick box for them, @tntpoof built a really cool Lipo box.
I've also seen sand bags using baggies and surround the battery. If there is a fire it melts the plastic and the sand helps contain the fire.

I've seen guys using a BBQ to store their Lipo's, a few build a brick box for them, @tntpoof built a really cool Lipo box.
I've also seen sand bags using baggies and surround the battery. If there is a fire it melts the plastic and the sand helps contain the fire.
Yeah I've also seen alot of very creative stuff on the net :) But alot of what I've seen is either outside or in a garage. I dont have that option. I have seen the Torvol lipo bag contain a fire with 15 lipos inside. But not sure i can trust it since the video is made by the company.

I don't have a garage or any place outside to store them but I keep them close to the front door and can get rid of them outside if need be. If we leave for a couple days then I put my ammo boxes with the lipos in my BBQ.
Another good one is just a simple metal filing cabinet and even lined with a fire proof material of some kind.
Tons if different ways you can go. It all depends on what you can spend.

I don't have a garage or any place outside to store them but I keep them close to the front door and can get rid of them outside if need be. If we leave for a couple days then I put my ammo boxes with the lipos in my BBQ.
Yeah thats not a bad idea
Yeah thats not a bad idea. Maybe i should store them in the terrace?
But how about when its rainy and very cold outside, maybe even very hot?
Isnt that a problem. My Terrace is complety surrounded by windows, so it can get very hot or cold in there maybe even pretty humid when raining.
That would be bad right?

Tntpoof used a lunchbox right? Just get a metal cabinet, and inside put a bunch of ammo boxes or any metal boxes to store a few lipos together. That would probably be fine.
Yeah. I'm gonna make a room dedicated for RC when i move at the end of the month, so i might find a solution yet. But yeah i wanted some answers about my questions and maybe even some ideas i didnt think about. Which i already did. So for now I'm still better off than before i made this thread :)

Bat-safe costs around 75 dollars each. Though the good thing is they have a filter each of them, to take the worst of the toxis fumes. Thats why i wanted them. But having alot of those also gets costly because they have a max amount they can have inside. If it were more like a safe it would have been awesome.
My Kennedy toolbox cost me $350 if I remember right. You can find them 2nd hand lots of places.

I just got an idea about getting a steel shelf, and then put some steel/iron plate on the wall or something similar, like what you have around your oven. The wall would get very hot but since there is paint and wallpaper on the wall, would that start burning cause of the heat? The wall itself is concrete so I'm not worried about that, but if the wall paper is a different story. Will that burn under the metal plate and then maybe spread under the metal plate?

I doubt they would get hot enough through the metal walls. If you go with the sand bag thing, that will help contain it regardless.
In reality as long as you follow the directions on your charger and storage charge the batteries like they are supposed to be, you want have any
issues. Cautionary measures is always a good thing.

I doubt they would get hot enough through the metal walls. If you go with the sand bag thing, that will help contain it regardless.
Yeah, but i also need the room to look like a room when i get visitors, so not to fond of that sand idea. I'm gonna get a Lipo extinguisher also. But the main thing is probably that i need it to look good So the toolbox idea might be good for me, but then we got all the fumes. But since its in a seperate room it might not be so bad, since the smoke detector should wake me up early before it gets to other rooms. Yeah I'm gonna have to think abit more on this. Or just spend some more money, since safety is more important.

You can't see the sand inside a ammo box.
Bag of sand, lipo battery bag of sand. All inside the ammo box.
A big metal tackle box or tool box is another good one. Some guys even line them with drywall.

Yeah, but i also need the room to look like a room when i get visitors, so not to fond of that sand idea. I'm gonna get a Lipo extinguisher also. But the main thing is probably that i need it to look good So the toolbox idea might be good for me, but then we got all the fumes. But since its in a seperate room it might not be so bad, since the smoke detector should wake me up early before it gets to other rooms. Yeah I'm gonna have to think abit more on this. Or just spend some more money, since safety is more important.
Toolbox, welders blanket. All set.

You can't see the sand inside a ammo box.
Bag of sand, lipo battery bag of sand. All inside the ammo box.
Yeah i just found the sand you were talking about, it was definetly not what i thought it was :D its cheap even. That might be an idea also. But yeah I'm actually thinking about buying 4 of those bat-safes. Thinking that should be enough. My local store should get them next month, i talked with them about getting a discount, it might be worth it, and then just buy a steel shelf on wheels or something.

Back