Latrax Teton alternatives

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy in WI

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
I'm looking for some small scale MTs for the kids. Anyone have any LatraxTeton alternative suggestions? It seems like a decent set up for a fair price, and the Prerunner (same platform) we have has been pretty resilient to the abuse my 3 year old applies. Any input would be appreciated since I'm looking at buying 1 for each kid (3) and I don't want a hind sight 20/20 situation... Thanks guys!

LC Racing EMB-MT
Almost ready to run add your own radio system and battery. http://casterracingmi.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=173&product_id=1854

This is a thread over on rctech with tons of information on this platform. https://www.rctech.net/forum/micro-mini-scales/681066-lc-racing-emb-1h-official-thread.html

I have both a MT and a Truggy from them, superb little bashers. Mt started as the brushed Tacon Valor, I would highly suggest that you not buy the brushed models, they are overgeared out of the box and the motor mount on the brushed models is a fixed mount.... Parts are pretty easy to find and dirt cheap too, on casterracingmi.com, nitrorcx.com (under the Tacon brand), Amazon, eBay and rcmart.
The only issues I've had are the cvds bending and blowing out rear hub bearings on the truggy. There are dog bones available and they are pretty beefy haven't bent a set of those yet.

LC Racing EMB-MT
Almost ready to run add your own radio system and battery. http://casterracingmi.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=173&product_id=1854

This is a thread over on rctech with tons of information on this platform. https://www.rctech.net/forum/micro-mini-scales/681066-lc-racing-emb-1h-official-thread.html

I have both a MT and a Truggy from them, superb little bashers. Mt started as the brushed Tacon Valor, I would highly suggest that you not buy the brushed models, they are overgeared out of the box and the motor mount on the brushed models is a fixed mount.... Parts are pretty easy to find and dirt cheap too, on casterracingmi.com, nitrorcx.com (under the Tacon brand), Amazon, eBay and rcmart.
The only issues I've had are the cvds bending and blowing out rear hub bearings on the truggy. There are dog bones available and they are pretty beefy haven't bent a set of those yet.
Well I must admit, this looks like a phenomenal setup, but it may be a little too much for my kids. They are only 3,5, and 7. And I would have a hard time sticking $675 into trucks for them just to find out they aren't interested long term. But for me... That could be a different story! ;)

I guess I want to stick closer to the 100 to 150 mark, and grow from there. I have a sinking feeling that I'm going to end up with these Tetons or some of the redcat volcano 18s.

Well I must admit, this looks like a phenomenal setup, but it may be a little too much for my kids. They are only 3,5, and 7. And I would have a hard time sticking $675 into trucks for them just to find out they aren't interested long term. But for me... That could be a different story! ;)

I guess I want to stick closer to the 100 to 150 mark, and grow from there. I have a sinking feeling that I'm going to end up with these Tetons or some of the redcat volcano 18s.

There are the Tacon versions as well at $179.95 a little over the $150 and nitrorcx.com has them on sale from time to time for %15 off https://www.nitrorcx.com/25c103-14-valor-mt-blue-brushless.html

You could start with the brushed model but I would suggest that you swap out the motor mount and run a smaller pinion. I picked up mine for about $93 shipped when it was on sale https://www.nitrorcx.com/25c133-14-valor-mt-red.html
They do have the Thriller short course truck on sale this week coupon code 103118 gives you 15% off https://www.nitrorcx.com/25c139-14-thriller-sct-blue.html

Last edited:
Picked up these for the holidays a few weeks ago; couldn’t wait and gave one to a buddy already :D
3727A983-FBA5-4778-AC4E-ACA8209A2D88.jpeg

Btw, why small scale? if it's due to price then the Arrma Voltage is not a bad option, for 100$.

They constantly want to run the cars inside as well as outside, and we are jammed into a 900 sq ft house. And when we go outside, we're on less than 1/8th acre in a neighborhood of lots all about that size. It's hit and miss if there's enough room to run the new granite in the street here. I do take them to the park, but it's only once every week or 3 when we actually have time. I really wish we had more room, but it's a small price to pay to have a small house and afford to keep ma at home to raise our little people.

All this, combined with the fact that this hobby is still new to us (bought our first real rc in July this year), I don't want to get too crazy and end up a boom and bust. I'll see witch ones are all in and get them the better stuff in the future.

Btw, why small scale? if it's due to price then the Arrma Voltage is not a bad option, for 100$.

Small scale is where it's at.

They constantly want to run the cars inside as well as outside, and we are jammed into a 900 sq ft house. And when we go outside, we're on less than 1/8th acre in a neighborhood of lots all about that size. It's hit and miss if there's enough room to run the new granite in the street here. I do take them to the park, but it's only once every week or 3 when we actually have time. I really wish we had more room, but it's a small price to pay to have a small house and afford to keep ma at home to raise our little people.

All this, combined with the fact that this hobby is still new to us (bought our first real rc in July this year), I don't want to get too crazy and end up a boom and bust. I'll see witch ones are all in and get them the better stuff in the future.

That's the thing I like about the minis you can run them in small spaces with ease. I'm bored at work whip out the MT and have fun for like 20 minutes.

There are the Tacon versions as well at $179.95 a little over the $150 and nitrorcx.com has them on sale from time to time for %15 off https://www.nitrorcx.com/25c103-14-valor-mt-blue-brushless.html

You could start with the brushed model but I would suggest that you swap out the motor mount and run a smaller pinion. I picked up mine for about $93 shipped when it was on sale https://www.nitrorcx.com/25c133-14-valor-mt-red.html
They do have the Thriller short course truck on sale this week coupon code 103118 gives you 15% off https://www.nitrorcx.com/25c139-14-thriller-sct-blue.html
I'm gonna do some research on these brushless guys. This might be an option, thanks slick!

Picked up these for the holidays a few weeks ago; couldn’t wait and gave one to a buddy already :D
View attachment 23432
I picked up our latrax prerunner for 35 beans from Craigslist, and let the kids run it through the stress test. It's been fully submerged under water, sand, and then water again... Run hard for pack after pack in grassy fields while camping. Jumped at the skate park, and abused on the beaches of lake Michigan. I couldn't even think of complaining when the motor finally smoked! I think it was less than 15 for a new one and a spur... These latrax aren't too shabby if they're all this tough. But if I start looking up reviews, it seems like they should be junk, which triggered my post here. I'm probably over thinking this.

I'm gonna do some research on these brushless guys. This might be an option, thanks slick!

I picked up our latrax prerunner for 35 beans from Craigslist, and let the kids run it through the stress test. It's been fully submerged under water, sand, and then water again... Run hard for pack after pack in grassy fields while camping. Jumped at the skate park, and abused on the beaches of lake Michigan. I couldn't even think of complaining when the motor finally smoked! I think it was less than 15 for a new one and a spur... These latrax aren't too shabby if they're all this tough. But if I start looking up reviews, it seems like they should be junk, which triggered my post here. I'm probably over thinking this.

I forgot to mention Tacons are just rebranded LC Racing vehicles, all the LC Racing parts and Tacon parts are the same, except the bodies, the Tacon bodies are made of pvc instead of lexan, and the servos are different brand, LC comes with Batan D115 and Tacon comes with a Solar 655. I can't tell the difference between them, they are both plenty powerful and have lots of speed. Neither of them are waterproof though. As far as I know none of the electronics are waterproof on these however. I went with the Pro kitted version of this http://casterracingmi.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=173&product_id=1754 fun build. The good stuff starts on post #34 https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/idk-what-i-want.7478/page-2

Most of the reviews are from the previous generation of Latrax vehicles or from people trying to run brushless systems in them. The most recent versions have had some updates done over the previous versions. The diffs are all metal instead of plastic that I know of, there are a few other things that have been updated but I cannot recall them off the top of my head.

Last edited:
The only things so far has been a lower front steering knuckle screw backed out and was lost. Also, an incredibly small rock was stuck in the spur gear.

Last edited:

Humm, I need to look into that thriller more... My little girl want that LaTrax Pre-runner with the paint splash body - but I know she just wants it for the paint job. Wonder if the Thriller is close enough for a body swap? :)

Not a money issue - I agree for an all around basher, a brushed 2wd 1/10 MT or SCT is about unbeatable. But sometimes 1/10 is just too big. One corner of my yard gets too much shade, so no grass grown. Makes a great track for my mini's, but the 1/10 SCT is just too big. Plus Playgrounds - my 1/16 can zip around playground mulch, and I don't have to worry too much about smacking a kid. 2lb 15mph vs 8lb, 30mph makes a huge difference. Having a 1/16 truggy is great - at 15-25mph it has most of the thrills of a Kraton at 35-45mph. Plus, $9-12 lipos... :)

Considering all the decent sub-$150 1/10 options, I would not recommend a mini as a only RC. But adding a mini to your garage can open up lots of new bash spots.

Any thoughts on the 1/14, reflex 14. ?? I’ve no experience with team associated? Mainly thinking about my soon to be 5yr old.. is new blx3 too much for him?

Any thoughts on the 1/14, reflex 14. ?? I’ve no experience with team associated? Mainly thinking about my soon to be 5yr old.. is new blx3 too much for him?
It's really situational. My 7 year old has a tendency to forget there's a brake when he gets in a panic situation, like when he's hauling ass towards his younger siblings or down the driveway and there's a car going by. So for him, yes a blx3 would be too much. If you have more room for error and normally not a bunch of young car chasers, I think it would be a great truck to learn on and grow into! It seems they've proven themselves time and time again to take a serious beating. This would have been my first choice if we had a field nearby to run in. As for the reflex 14, I don't know, but this gives me another one to look into.

It's really situational. My 7 year old has a tendency to forget there's a brake when he gets in a panic situation, like when he's hauling ass towards his younger siblings or down the driveway and there's a car going by. So for him, yes a blx3 would be too much. If you have more room for error and normally not a bunch of young car chasers, I think it would be a great truck to learn on and grow into! It seems they've proven themselves time and time again to take a serious beating. This would have been my first choice if we had a field nearby to run in. As for the reflex 14, I don't know, but this gives me another one to look into.

I’m having similar thoughts.. but can’t the blx3 also be run with NiMH? Was thinking that would tame it down enough to not be to dangerous and still plenty of room to grow into without having to get a whole new vehicle.. then being honest with myself it’s fun to get new different vehicles not just hoping up what you have.. I’m think there is no right answer here.. but probably quite a few wrong ones. Key being just to avoid the wrong ones ?

I’m having similar thoughts.. but can’t the blx3 also be run with NiMH? Was thinking that would tame it down enough to not be to dangerous and still plenty of room to grow into without having to get a whole new vehicle.. then being honest with myself it’s fun to get new different vehicles not just hoping up what you have.. I’m think there is no right answer here.. but probably quite a few wrong ones. Key being just to avoid the wrong ones ?

Setting the throttle end points on the TTX300 is not that hard to do.

Una32w42jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Don't over think it. It's a hobby that should be fun and exciting. Only you know what is gonna work for your kid(s). They don't need the biggest fastest car to have fun, but can actually have a blast with "Stompers" (who remembers those!?). On the same note, if it's worth doing, it's worth over doing, right?! LOL, how much does this post help with anything?

You can also build them 2 Tamiya DT-03's with a low power setup. They are cheap, quit strong and you will have some fun building them with your kids.
Or get them toy cars like these, they are dirt cheap, slow but fun to drive
1541232913323.png

You can also build them 2 Tamiya DT-03's with a low power setup. They are cheap, quit strong and you will have some fun building them with your kids.
Or get them toy cars like these, they are dirt cheap, slow but fun to drive
View attachment 23487

One of my kids - my middle son just does not seem to enjoy fast RC's. But I recently got a cheap crawler, and he will drive that truck around all day...