Kyosho Ultima Unboxing and Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WickedFog

Starter of too many projects
Supporter
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
Breydon did this unboxing a few months ago. I guess it's about time I uploaded it.

I also wanted to make a video of this one going together, but things weren't going as planned. So I'll just do pics here.

Breydon wanted to do a green, blue, and white theme.
20221118_142829.jpg

20221118_191735.jpg

The build so far has been very painful. The hardware doesn't seem to be in any particular order, and I would have been better off just opening every bag from the start. But the actual assembly is going together flawlessly. Another fine Kyosho quality kit.
20221120_090023.jpg

20221120_142622.jpg

The kit comes with optional, taller wing supports. So we went with those because I think it will look a little better.
20221120_214757.jpg
20221120_214740.jpg

20221120_214804.jpg

20221120_214729.jpg

Nice! I hear those shocks are your favorite. Plus theres lotsa e-clips so I know you loved this build! 🤣

Three e-clips are lost to the carpet jungle. This is my 4th set of Kyosho shocks that I have assembled, and installing the invisible gaskets actually went a lot easier this time.

Got the Sidewinder ESC in... just barely. Will have to mod the heck out of the top plate to get it to fit, but I'm fine with that.

More pics coming soon.

Totally jealous also. Love the way the buggy looks and the aluminum parts too. Might have to try and work one into the garage.

Got the top plate clearanced for the ESC.
20221121_094351.jpg

Very cool.
It's like a miniature Baja 5B 😜

At least the chassis kinda reminds me of one.

@johnnydmd and @Chubaka - these Legendary kits are pretty affordable. My Turbo Scorpion was a really fun build, and this one has been as well. Except for the hardware not being well organized in the bags, and the instruction manual not being all that good, I highly recommend it. Just make sure you grab a really small ESC 😉

Last edited:
Got the top plate clearanced for the ESC.
View attachment 155872

It's like a miniature Baja 5B 😜

At least the chassis kinda reminds me of one.

@johnnydmd and @Chubaka - these Legendary kits are pretty affordable. My Turbo Scorpion was a really fun build, and this one has been as well. Except for the hardware not being well organized in the bags, and the instruction manual not being all that good, I highly recommend it. Just make sure you grab a really small ESC 😉

I plan on getting one at some point, if nothing else just a nice piece to have in my collection as one of those things I always wanted in my youth.

I plan on getting one at some point, if nothing else just a nice piece to have in my collection as one of those things I always wanted in my youth.
The Ultima was never at the top of my list, but one I always wanted (never cared for the 80's style wheels). My goal is to have all the Legendary series some day. But that may require ordering from the UK. For some reason, we haven't got many kits at all here in the US, and they sell out as soon as any shops do get them.

Getting closer. Cleaning up this wiring is going to be a nightmare.
20221121_150341.jpg

20221121_150316.jpg

Ended up having to remove the motor and the aluminum brace behind the black roll bar and grind some clearance in it for the motor "C" tab. Also had to grind away some of that motor tab. Will get better pics of that tomorrow. I'm beat! 😣
20221121_150333.jpg

20221121_150326.jpg

I did manage to get the GT5 Rx bound and setup. Everything works at least.

Tomorrow I need to finish shortening the motor wires and tidying things up. Then it will be time to paint and finish the body and roll cage. Thinking of dying the wheels and wing black, or just buy different wheels.

Got the plastics dyed. Decided to go with a dark green instead of black. Going to use Tamiya PS-8 for the main part of the body.
20221122_072822.jpg

20221122_072815.jpg

Wiring tidied up a bit.
20221122_072833.jpg

20221122_072850.jpg

Facing a bit of a dilemma with the battery cables. Not sure how to get the battery cables under the body cleanly, and have decent access to them. I may have it figured out though. Body paint goes on today.

As of right now, she's ready to rip after I glue the tires on. Speaking of tires, I just noticed I have the front wheels reversed 🤪

Last edited:
Got the plastics dyed. Decided to go with a dark green instead of black. Going to use Tamiya PS-8 for the main part of the body.
View attachment 155889
View attachment 155890

Wiring tidied up a bit.
View attachment 155888
View attachment 155887

Facing a bit of a dilemma with the battery cables. Not sure how to get the battery cables under the body cleanly, and have decent access to them. I may have it figured out though. Body paint goes on today.

As of right now, she's ready to rip after I glue the tires on. Speaking of tires, I just noticed I have the front wheels reversed 🤪
Those front knobbies can only go in one direction, I can't believe you screwed that up...:p

Looking great. I'm liking it more and more. What cell and kv are you planning?

Looking great. I'm liking it more and more. What cell and kv are you planning?
2s and 6200kv. Already did a test run through the front room and kitchen. At a blip of the throttle on carpet it will pull the front end straight up. It's a beast.

2s and 6200kv. Already did a test run through the front room and kitchen. At a blip of the throttle on carpet it will pull the front end straight up. It's a beast.
I bet!
The second I saw that mean green, I knew she was going to be a handful. 😁

I bet!
The second I saw that mean green, I knew she was going to be a handful. 😁
I think it will shred on dirt. Not really sure if we're even going to run it though. All my Kyosho Legendary cars I plan to be operational shelf queens.

Paint work complete. Nothing fancy this time. Had to move the Rx atop the servo because it's too tall for the body. But I like it there. Just need to redo the wire tidying. More pics soon, but here is the body and wing so far. Trimming all the pre-cut decals for a cleaner look.
20221122_163337.jpg

20221122_163354.jpg

Last edited:
Back