Kyosho Scorpion Turbo build project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riko

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Fell in love with this kit the moment I saw it.

kyosho-turbo-scorpion-1-10-scale-4wd-buggy-kit-motion-rc-15267540107313.jpg

And the idea of building it yourself is also an appealing argument to buy it...
Seen many vids of these vids and of this particular kit already and its amazing how good Kyosho does it all: fit and finish, packaging, manuals, the whole experience seems just to be a whole lot of fun...

I do have some ideas for the electrics, but I wonder what you guys think of the direction I wanna go.
Its not going to be a shelfqueen, not exclusively that is :p
But when I ride this, I will ride it much more gentle than my Losi Ten DB Pro, thats for sure....

I also have a certain look in my head for the car.
Taking inspiration from the '60 Honda F1 cars :cool:
So mainly white body with small other accents
Honda-RA272-47769.jpg

328161676_0b6c149ada_b.jpg

Honda_RA300_front-left_Honda_Collection_Hall.jpg

The car itself has yet to be purchased, but I want to wait untill I have the spares first for my destroyed Losi buggy :rolleyes:
https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/new-losi-tenacity-db-pro.126730/page-14#post-1348193

I did already buy some hop ups of wich the first batch has arrived:
20220817-171921.jpg

- black wing
- ball diff (taking riding this seriously)
- metal servo saver

Will plan to get another body, for the shelf queen part :cool:

Black wheels are on their way, but front or rear (can't remember now) are not in stock, so that will have to wait...
RC Channel metal cage ordered, together with their alu bumper.
That package is coming over from the Far East, can't wait..🥲

At the meanwhile, the ball diff has been build.
20220817_234510.jpg

Have no experience what so ever in building diff, let alone judging whether the tightness is okay... :rolleyes:
Manual is kind vague about it, even for Kyosho.
But, I red somewhere that you can determine tightness by holding one wheel and turning the other with a simple spin, if it turns around one turn, its okay....
I'll have to wait till the car is done to do that.
Any tips are welcome of course...

Will post pictures of the build of course and videos will follow when its all done and I can take it out for a spin...

Not to burst your bubble, but I have been trying for almost 2 years to buy a Kyosho Javelin, and for nearly a year to find a Turbo Scorpion. I have every part to build a Kyosho Beetle, except the Scorpion chassis. You can buy them, but the prices are nearly double. I have email notifications setup on Kyosho America, Tower Hobbies, Amain, and many other sites that sell Kyosho stuff, and those have been in place since I began searching, and updated frequently.

Since Kyosho got bought out by a toy company, they stopped focusing on the Legendary series. I was lucky to get my Scorpion before all this went down.

So if you do happen to find the Turbo Scorpion or Javelin for sale... please tag me, PM me, etc, because I desperately want these cars.

Oh, here's my Scorpion. Best kit as far as quality, fitment, and overall fun I have ever built. And she'll never see dirt lol.
20210712_160748.jpg

20210712_161303.jpg

20210712_160810.jpg

Last edited:
very nice man!

I am talking about Europe, as you may be aware, and here the stocks seems fine.
Some have em in stock, some dont, but they can be back ordered and be back in stock as soon as 1 week.

I am even having a luxery problem where to buy them: go for a German RC shop wich has it in stock as of now (for how long? been in stock since I've got my eye on one, wich is a few weeks already now) OR back order it from my local shop here in Belgium, they are on holiday since the 15th and I asked them one week before they left on holiday saying that If I order it now, it will be in stock when they come back, by begin September.

No hurries here. But in the US, Kyosho is perhaps a different story...

If you are interested in other kits that come from Europe, I can send you the links of course.....

If you have sites you are confident are reputable... please send me links. I want every one of the Legendary cars, but for some reason they aren't shipping to the US. Thanks!

lol aight, just read this and send you info about that German shop but without the link because I wasn't certain you would want German shops :)

They are very reputable, so I'll send the link.

The good stuff is, they send to the US, AND they have ALL of the legendary series in stock! :cool:
The Optima Mid buggy is even expected next month already....

Shipping under 2kg is 37 euro with DHL and 25 with UPS.
Of course you can expect customs to chip in with import duties and vat....and extra waiting time depending how fast US customs are lol.

I'd rather share this privately, because I know how popular these kits can be ;)

Thanks for that. Will have to start ordering some kits. Getting tired of waiting for them to turn up here.

when looking more closely at the product page, they do state the package will weigh over 2kg...so not under, be aware of that ;)

I might also go big and order the Optima Mid when it comes out, that one is also sooo slick looking 🤤🥴🙌
K.30622_15_1.jpg

Yeah, I like the Mid as well. Would love to get that one some day.

but Kyosho might also bring out their longer chassis version of this and perhaps with the different body style, so unless you wanna see whats in store and have patience, you might wanna wait and see what comes out of the MID range too

new package arrived, rcMart = :cool:

20220823_010126.jpg

RC Channel bits: nice alu engine cage and their front bumper
And black front Kyosho wheels.
Too bad the rear black ones are out of stock everywhere....but on ebay Japan, might wait it out a bit before I order it on ebay coming from that far....
20220823_010432.jpg

wanna use the black wheels for the shelve and race with the stock white ones.
So I also should order some tires, but again, rear ones are nowhere to be found....out of stock again.

My next package includes everything else! :cool: and hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow (if they offer it friday, I'm fiddlesticked because nobody's at home and a whole weekend to wait I'd rather not...)
That will include the car kit itself, the rest of the hop up parts, some tools (+ some spares and hop up parts for my Ten DB Pro).

All from Tamico as well @WickedFog ;)

Sweet! Will be a fun build. For a LiPo, I recommend getting one with the removable cable because they work great in that chassis. Like this one...
20220824_133506.jpg

nice, wich ones are those?

nice, wich ones are those?
That is a gensacearespammers battery. You can find batteries with built in bullet connectors for removable cables. They will be a bit higher priced battery, but you're building a Kyosho afterall ;)

Protek has some 2s batteries with removable cables. Turnigy has some as well. And there are others.

'its Christmas every day!' (youtube RC volgers zullen zeker weten vanwaar dit komt) :p

20220825_222804.jpg

20220826_012240.jpg

20220826_122155.jpg

20220826_122209.jpg

20220826_012859.jpg

So I have everything now, but the electronics.
I'm still heading towards an experiment with the Spektrum 2-in-1 combo: https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMXSEM1040B
+ one of their available AVC receivers.

Servo, Savox SC-1267SG, at 7.4V = 0.09s and en 21kg strong, should be enough :koud:
Batteries, having my eyes on this one: https://tamico.de/Absima-Power-Tank-LiPo-111V-60C7100-Hardcase-XT90-Plug :p
Dimensions gotta be in check with specs in manual, its off in height with over a centimeter, so that will require some testing before buying.

'its Christmas every day!' (youtube RC volgers zullen zeker weten vanwaar dit komt) :p

View attachment 151202
View attachment 151203
View attachment 151204
View attachment 151205
View attachment 151206

So I have everything now, but the electronics.
I'm still heading towards an experiment with the Spektrum 2-in-1 combo: https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMXSEM1040B
+ one of their available AVC receivers.

Servo, Savox SC-1267SG, at 7.4V = 0.09s and en 21kg strong, should be enough :koud:
Batteries, having my eyes on this one: https://tamico.de/Absima-Power-Tank-LiPo-111V-60C7100-Hardcase-XT90-Plug :p
Dimensions gotta be in check with specs in manual, its off in height with over a centimeter, so that will require some testing before buying.
That battery will definitely not fit.

That battery will definitely not fit.
damn, its gotta be really inside their given specs than huh...damn okay
I did find a pack withing spec, but its 'only' 2S....not sure if I would be satisfied with 2S here...

Also forgot, I also pre ordered a 1/10 scale senna helmet a few weeks ago from Minichamps , will see how that will match with the body in the Kyosho kit :p
9495_1988-helmet-ayrton-senna.jpg

About the ball diff again, I have never made a ball diff ever as I said, so not sure if I got it right, I thightened it as hard as I could, but the cups can always rotate in oposite ways, so I assume its still okay and I cannot move the gear when the cups are locked, so still okay I think.
I know you have to 'ride' them in, by blocking one wheel or diff while the other rotates for about 8 minutes or something.
Advice is always welcome...
:weird:

You won't need to run this on 3s. The car is so light, you can gear it up to the speed you want out of it, and still have plenty of torque. I saw one of these run on 2s and it was a beast.

I assume the required dimensions for the ESC are more forgiving?
because in one of the vids above they rode this esc from Robitronic: https://shop.robitronic.com/en/robitronic-razer-ten-r01250
48.5x38x32mm
Kyosho sets the max dim. at: 40x35x28 🤷‍♂️

The other one rides a hobbywing combo: Hobbywing EzRun combo max10 3652SL 4000KV
Their dimensions are in perfectly in spec: 39.4x32.8x23.1mm

I dont have one ordered for mine yet, but the Castle Sidewinder is too big. The channel through the tub that you run the wires through gets covered up by bigger ESC's.

Back