Kyosho Nitro Tracker stuttering second gear

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownbread

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys I'm a bit new to RC but I've been around carburetors before so I've got some background. I broke in my engine, then started to tune. I reached a point where everything was good and then the next start up I started having issues. First gear it accelerates fine, blue smoke, then when it shifts to second gear it starts stuttering. If I hold it WOT it'll stutter all the way to top speed, but the front end of the car is bouncing up and down because of the stuttering.

I suspected that maybe my LSN was too lean and it needed more fuel when I was WOT. Did the pinch test again, engine shuts after 4-6 seconds. That seems ok.

I checked my idle gap and it was a little small so I opened it to about 1mm, issue still persists.

When tuning my HSN, I keep richening it but now it's getting to the point where power just drops off and I have to lean in again to get it going.

Could it be my transmission? Any suggestions?

Some things are hard to diagnose by description. To me it sounds like you are way too rich at WOT and intermittently blowing out the flame. If you suspected it was lean on the LSN, opening the idle gap will only make it leaner until you open enough it transfers to the HSN.

Have you been checking engine temps? What have they been? It may be time to reset to factory and start over on tuning.

Some things are hard to diagnose by description. To me it sounds like you are way too rich at WOT and intermittently blowing out the flame. If you suspected it was lean on the LSN, opening the idle gap will only make it leaner until you open enough it transfers to the HSN.

Have you been checking engine temps? What have they been? It may be time to reset to factory and start over on tuning.

Thanks for your reply! My temp gun is on the way, haven't received it yet. I'm having trouble finding the factory needle settings for the KE15SP, it's not in the manual anywhere. Can you point me in the right direction?

I did a little quick research and don't see anything on that particular engine except for it saying it is preset. Most every Kyosho I saw said 3, 3.5 or 4 turns from seated on the high speed but the low ranged from .5mm recessed to .5mm protruding the housing. One said 2.5 turns out from seated. I'd start rich, 4 turns out and protruding .5mm go from there.

I did a little quick research and don't see anything on that particular engine except for it saying it is preset. Most every Kyosho I saw said 3, 3.5 or 4 turns from seated on the high speed but the low ranged from .5mm recessed to .5mm protruding the housing. One said 2.5 turns out from seated. I'd start rich, 4 turns out and protruding .5mm go from there.

Sounds good. I did some research on another forum and they included that I should try to replace my glow plug because I haven't since break in. I have to get some more nitro too and replace my air filter - something else i didnt think needed such frequent changing. Figure a fresh start won't hurt.

This is what the engine sounds like now, any suggestions?