Kyosho Neo Race Spec electric conversion kit

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

13enz

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all,
I've got a question I can't seem to find an answer for. I've got a 2011 model Kyosho Neo Race Spec buggy (# 31682 - came with a KE.25 engine) that I loved racing with and wanted to convert it to electric.

I've been told to check out the conversion kit for the mp9 since the chassis is similar. However, when looking through photos it seems there may be some key screw holes missing and perhaps I'd need to drill some holes. I was wondering if anyone else here has attempted this and successfully converted theirs. Or better yet, if anyone knows which kit works.

I'd love to revive this relic of mine, really miss driving it. I appreciate any and all help! Thank you for reading!

Posted some images of the beauty below, don't mind the love marks.

Attachments

• image0 (4).jpeg
    image0 (4).jpeg
    610.5 KB · Views: 75
  • image1 (1).jpeg
    image1 (1).jpeg
    544.3 KB · Views: 58
  • image0 (5).jpeg
    image0 (5).jpeg
    567.6 KB · Views: 51
  • image2 (1).jpeg
    image2 (1).jpeg
    552.7 KB · Views: 60
I can't speak directly to this particular kit as I've never owned it but generally if theres not a direct conversion made for it then you'll have to do some modifications.

I can't speak directly to this particular kit as I've never owned it but generally if theres not a direct conversion made for it then you'll have to do some modifications.
Hey Greywolf74, thanks for the reply! Yeah after spending hours looking around I sort of figured I'd probably have to drill the chassis. Was hoping to find some direction as to which one would possibly be best. Perhaps one is more similar than the other and requires less modifications? I'm hoping so anyways haha. Hopefully someone else on here has tried this on the same model buggy.

there's not existing holes in that chassis under that nitro motor mount?

there's not existing holes in that chassis under that nitro motor mount?
That wont work without a mount made specifically for those holes or youd have to mod those holes at the very least. Or at least i should say I've not done a conversion yet where I could just use the existing engine mounting holes without modding them.

That wont work without a mount made specifically for those holes or youd have to mod those holes at the very least. Or at least i should say I've not done a conversion yet where I could just use the existing engine mounting holes without modding them.
Hey thanks @tntpoof & @Greywolf74 Yeah there are motor mounts but a lot of the kits I'm finding seem to place the motor on the opposite side from where those original mounts are. I'll add images below. Looks like a lot of the Kyosho ones have the motor sitting on the left (if looking at the buggy head on). My nitro engine used to be on the right. Including an example of a kit below as well (not my original image).

Also, maybe I could flip the mount around so the motor can sit on the right again, but not sure I can do that to the battery holder and so on.

conversion.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg

Yeah the way you have it drawn in there on that first pic is about the only way its going to work without being able to move the servo mount.

Yeah the way you have it drawn in there on that first pic is about the only way its going to work without being able to move the servo mount.
Yeah I guess I just have to figure out if the space between these two screws are the same on that part (image below). I really don't care about the hole placement for that battery holder and so on. that I can make fit without worrying too much about it.

Attachments

• image2 (1) copy.jpg
    image2 (1) copy.jpg
    599.9 KB · Views: 59
You need a pair of digital calipers like THESE
Oh I have multiples of those! haha I meant the distance on the part I'll be ordering (added a photo below). If its off my like a few mm then there's no point in trying to drill holes I think. The new hole would be too close to the existing ones, I see a future durability issue with that. I have a drill press and whatnot I could use for precision drilling, so not worried about that, just the integrity of the hole if its on top of another.

I've done a lot of welding, soldering, drilling, thread making and so on for my rc's (crawlers mostly). Just never messed with a chassis on something I'd be bashing with. Pretty important component and it worries me haha.

Oh I have multiples of those! haha I meant the distance on the part I'll be ordering (added a photo below). If its off my like a few mm then there's no point in trying to drill holes I think. The new hole would be too close to the existing ones, I see a future durability issue with that. I have a drill press and whatnot I could use for precision drilling, so not worried about that, just the integrity of the hole if its on top of another.

I've done a lot of welding, soldering, drilling, thread making and so on for my rc's (crawlers mostly). Just never messed with a chassis on something I'd be bashing with. Pretty important component and it worries me haha.
As long as you have a few mm of space I would not think it would affect structural integrity. I want to learn some mig welding one of these days

Back