Kraton 6s vs tree

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ericehess

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
Hey all. My son was driving his kraton 6s at the local school yesterday and had a mishap. He was ripping it across the field at at least 50, he let go of the throttle as he approached the end but the thing kept going at WOT and smacked head first into a tree. Ouch! Felt that one in my bones! Looks like just the steering knuckle and one shock need replacing(somehow). Guess the superbash bumper was a good upgrade!
We have a Dumbo rc transmitter, this had happened a few times briefly but with no poor outcomes. Anyone know if the arrma blx 185 or Dumbo rc remotes have signal loss protection settings we can set up or should I just buy a better transmitter? Don't want to risk this again.

What you're looking for is "failsafe", a pretty standard feature now. I'm not familiar with that model of remote, but you can probably look up how to set it online.

You want to set it so that the throttle doesn't just go neutral if signal is lost, but goes to braking. The problem with that is, if signal is lost at a standstill, you might have it run-away in reverse! You could also set a "drag brake" on the ESC so the car doesn't coast so far in neutral

You should really get a better radio IMO. Radiolink RC6g or FlySky GT5 are still cheap but better.
Anyway, the receiver should be outputting neutral throttle when it loses Tx signal, but obviously yours doesn't for some reason...

After struggling to browse through the Dumbo RC X4 manual (which is horribly translated, and a horrible manual), I don't see any way to set a failsafe. I would run over the radio and receiver with a truck and buy one of the previously mentioned radios. I have the Flysky GT3B and love it.

Here's that waste of pixels Dumbo manual, which comes as a JPG image straight from their website. Morons! I see why they are called Dumbo 🤪
X4_EN_NEW.jpg

Good luck reading it 😖

Thanks for that! I'll give it a whirl. Unfortunately upon closer inspection I realized I snapped the front section on the chassis. I'm gonna try to brace it with a piece of steel but will probably have to completely disassemble and rebuild it on a new chassis. Thought I got off too light.

Thanks for that! I'll give it a whirl. Unfortunately upon closer inspection I realized I snapped the front section on the chassis. I'm gonna try to brace it with a piece of steel but will probably have to completely disassemble and rebuild it on a new chassis. Thought I got off too light.
Yeah, the Kraton chassis is a turd. Ours has all the M2C upgrades on it, which are pricey, but it makes it pretty much bulletproof.

https://m2cracing.net/shop/shop.php#!/KRATON-6S/c/136157755
received_195436812612814.jpeg

received_538512914060415.jpeg

why couldn't the op use a piece of carbon fiber plate?

Last edited:
Hehe, stupid tree had no business getting in the way! You got a link to the m2c chassis?
Dam, they are steep..not sure I can justify it, can't blame the chassis for loosing that battle. We don't do much big jumping so I think the stock chassis will be ok. Anyone know if the v5 chassis will fit the v4 parts?

I posted a link to the M2C 6S Kraton stuff in my post above.

After struggling to browse through the Dumbo RC X4 manual (which is horribly translated, and a horrible manual), I don't see any way to set a failsafe. I would run over the radio and receiver with a truck and buy one of the previously mentioned radios. I have the Flysky GT3B and love it.

Here's that waste of pixels Dumbo manual, which comes as a JPG image straight from their website. Morons! I see why they are called Dumbo 🤪
View attachment 162445

Good luck reading it 😖
They are usually great radios with about the best range available out of the box

They are usually great radios with about the best range available out of the box
I have never driven any Flysky receiver out of range, and I can use the same radio for 10 RC's. I was in a driver stand at a big track once and never had any issies with it. And the Flysky's have a lot more features. And the Flysky's have a failsafe! I would NEVER buy a radio that doesn't. That's just silly. The price is also comparable, so for the life of me, I just don't see any reason to buy the Dumbo 🤷‍♂️ It's like... if I could buy a scooter for the same price as a Ferrari, why not buy the Ferrari? Sure, the scooter might go a bit farther on a tank of fuel... but who cares 😜

Just got the flysky fs-gt3b. I have a few other 2-channel flyskys this is my first 3channel digital one. And I also got a bunch of parts to fix the Kraton including an upgrades extreme bash chassis.
Watched a cool video on easy chassis swap using towels tucked into body to hold parts in place as you unscrew everything while upside down. Looks pretty easy to swap out.
I didn't buy the Dumbo, bought the Kraton used with it, it's an upgrade of the spektrum which has the worst range possible.

So I got the flysky fs gt3b. As I take apart the front end of the Kraton I keep finding new parts I will need. So far..chassis, steering knuckle,rear lower suspension arm bracket,differential housing, out drive cup and steering posts all need to be replaced along with a bunch of screws. Have the whole front end broken down, will know this vehicle very well after. Waiting on more parts now. I don't recommend crashing into a tree at 50..no bueno.
Oh I forgot also lower shock connector and shock standoff connector. Let's hope that's all!

Yeah, I guess I was generalizing..any solid object at high speed, whether 45 or 50 or even 60..not good. It should have been expected, can't walk away from that without severe trama.

Yeah, I guess I was generalizing..any solid object at high speed, whether 45 or 50 or even 60..not good. It should have been expected, can't walk away from that without severe trama.

I haven't had the pleasure of a tree yet, but the concrete base on the light pole, did have a pretty good thunk to it. 😜