Kit ideas?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roondog

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
I'm having some withdrawal from not getting another RC. I'm looking at my next venture to be a kit. Something in a truck type vehicle. Some of the crawlers look like a lot of fun to build and run. I am not against another SCT or a MT either. So far I looked at the Axial scx ii, Traxxas TRX-4, and the Redcat Scout Gen 8, although it's not kit. Any suggestions or experience with what I should consider? I'm probably leaning more towards a crawler since I have a Senton but would consider a fun build for another SCT or ST.

Tekno SCT410 or et410. But those will be fast bashers.

If you want to do a kit build, I have been seeing some good things about the new HPI kit version of their crawler. But then I am not a crawler guy, so...

Those and the Mt410 look fun. My only concern is that to much for some average bashing here and there. I'll look at the HPI. Thanks!

I have an Axial SCX10.2 RTR and my buddy has an SCX10 and a SCX10.2 kit and he also has like 3 TRX4s. He always says that hands down the TRX4 is the way to go because of the portal axles and two speed transmission. Also, it has more weight so it gets better traction when climbing stuff.

I've been looking at getting a TRX4 kit and having a 2nd crawler but I am really happy with my current rig, but if I was going to get a new one, I think I would honestly get a TRX4 kit. As much as my buddy and I don't like Traxxas bashers, their crawlers are really nice.

I have an Axial SCX10.2 RTR and my buddy has an SCX10 and a SCX10.2 kit and he also has like 3 TRX4s. He always says that hands down the TRX4 is the way to go because of the portal axles and two speed transmission. Also, it has more weight so it gets better traction when climbing stuff.

I've been looking at getting a TRX4 kit and having a 2nd crawler but I am really happy with my current rig, but if I was going to get a new one, I think I would honestly get a TRX4 kit. As much as my buddy and I don't like Traxxas bashers, their crawlers are really nice.
I can't disagree with the TRX4. Looks great and seem solid enough. I don't have crawlers though. I also like the look of the Scout from Redcat. That's probably a personal preference thing cause I dig International trucks.

Good info thanks. I've never had a Traxxas and there is a lot of negative things about their quality but I would assume it's more of the non-crawler vehicles. The speed and cheap parts is a recipe for disaster I suppose.

I can't disagree with the TRX4. Looks great and seem solid enough. I don't have crawlers though. I also like the look of the Scout from Redcat. That's probably a personal preference thing cause I dig International trucks.
The last time I was at the Hobbytown that has a crawler course, someone had a Scout Gen 8 and it did look like a really nice machine. It looked really strong and it has portal axles.

Looking back though with my SCX10.2 RTR I wish I would have gotten a kit so that I could build it and learn how everything works. Crawlers really are a different animal than bashers.

It's a shame they killed the Losi Rock Rey Kit.

Go old school and get a tamiya kit, lunchbox, midnight pumpkin or a Blackfoot. Hell the cold buster was awesome to build too!

Welcome to the family! Found it locally. Owner didn't have any kits except the TRX4. I'm excited to take my time and build it with my daughter. Stem project.

Attachments

• 4CDFA698-7DB7-47BE-8776-A4DD9B28EC23.jpeg
    4CDFA698-7DB7-47BE-8776-A4DD9B28EC23.jpeg
    372.4 KB · Views: 52
The biggest complaint I see in the TRX-4 is the electronics everyone says they are crap.
For the shift servos look at the Bluebird BMS-373MG and BMS-375DMG servos, they don't strip out by looking at them like the Traxxas ones but they are not waterproof.

The biggest complaint I see in the TRX-4 is the electronics everyone says they are crap.
For the shift servos look at the Bluebird BMS-373MG and BMS-375DMG servos, they don't strip out by looking at them like the Traxxas ones but they are not waterproof.
Agreed. I'll take a look thanks!