kill switch vs Fail safe

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessF

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Just looking for some clarity on something. From what I gather, the kill switch functions much like a Nitro fail safe but will actually turn the engine off.

Is there a reason people aren't installing fail-safes on their baja to limit throttle control?

You can use a throttle based failsafe as well, if you do not already have one built in to the radio. This is the case on my Baja - I run a killswitch and a radio with a fail safe built in.

The Baja throttle mechanism sometimes locks up or the battery could go below the voltage needed to operate the failsafe, however, in which case the failsafe is rendered useless. This is when you would engage the killswitch.

ALWAYS run a killswitch on a large scale RC.

Last edited:
Ahh I see. Do you run the kill-switch on a separate battery? Most fail-safes trip when the voltage drops below a set range. The venom smart temp will monitor temperature, battery voltage and radio freq.

is there temp range considered not safe for the Baja gas engine?

No, it runs off the third channel in the receiver on the Baja. You need a 3-channel remote to use one (the stock RTR baja radio is 3ch). You can also cut the engine remotely using the switch by turning off your radio or flipping the 3rd channel switch. It'll also cut the engine if the battery gets low.

Not sure on the temp range... I think I heard somewhere that it's around the low 200s but not sure.

makes sense. Thanks.

Back