Keeping the fuel cool

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HSP Mongrel Muggy

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Because The HSP Battle Truggy now has the Team Infinity .32RZ in it and its a new engine I decided to try and feed it the coolest fuel supply I could.. this invloved putting a piece of alloy pipe into the line between the tank and the engine which then dumps into a large alloy filter to act as heat sinks. These are strapped to the top of the handle directly in the flow of cool air from the windshield being cut out. I also got some double sided wig tape that is very wide and tacky and wrapped a layer of foil over it, I then put another layer of tape and doubled the foil over it again.. I finished with a layer of tape to stick my new heat shield matting to the Fuel tank between it and the exhaust and she's good to go!!

Attachments

• 2014-10-28 13.29.45-1.jpg
    2014-10-28 13.29.45-1.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 231
  • 2014-10-28 13.42.38-1.jpg
    2014-10-28 13.42.38-1.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 214
looks cool but I thought the whole fuel cooler thing was mythbusted several years ago as not really being effective enough to worry about doing?

looks cool but I thought the whole fuel cooler thing was mythbusted several years ago as not really being effective enough to worry about doing?

I have seen both positive and negative about this and figured I wasn't gonna spend dollars on a cooler but it would be worth it to try. I figured that since I have a temp gauge I will see if it makes any difference at all. I had some tubing laying around and the tape and foil too so it has not cost a cent. If it has any effect at all I will invest in the proper cooler, if not well at least it was cheap..

I know that when I had the lines running nearer the exhaust and engine it ran hotter than usual so I moved them away and its dropped the temp an average of 10 Degrees Celcius. I figured that at least the heat mat will help as the exhaust gets hot enough to actually warm the tank. the layers of tacky fibre tape and aluminium will insulate against that source of heat. The fuel is a huge part of what keeps these engines at a decent temperature, I figure even if I can drop it another 5 degrees, every lil bit helps...

Standard silicone tubing actually acts as an insulator and the hot exhaust gas will enter the tank, still hot.
Most of my fuel line is aluminum and there are heat sinks included in the lines.
Obviously it's very effective since the tank has never gone above room temperature.

015.jpg

Standard silicone tubing actually acts as an insulator and the hot exhaust gas will enter the tank, still hot.
Most of my fuel line is aluminum and there are heat sinks included in the lines.
Obviously it's very effective since the tank has never gone above room temperature.

View attachment 14602
That truck looks wicked Rolex, gotta be some cash tied up in that one I bet... I know the silicon will act as an insulator and will be fitting a length of alloy tubing to the exhaust pressure line to help cool the gases fed into the tank too. I so need a better set of tools to work with!

So this is what I've bent up for the Exhaust pressure line.. Gonna test tomorrow for sure!

Attachments

• 2014-10-29 23.24.09-1.jpg
    2014-10-29 23.24.09-1.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 193
Well, keep us posted...You have me curious what your results are going to be now :)

Well, keep us posted...You have me curious what your results are going to be now :)
It was the end of winter when I first received the .32RZ Team Infinity engine and when I ran it in I sat in the shade and let the truck idle through a full tank. it was a 28°C day and the engine ran at 110°C for the entire run. When I tested the cooling mods done, I sat the Battle Truggy in the same place and set the needles back to factory settings. This particular time though we are in spring and had a 35°C ambient and a low humidity of just 12%. Running the same fuel as before you would expect the engine to run hotter due to the 7° difference in ambient and dryer air, but it happily ran at 98~100°C and only went higher when I gave it a good blat on the throttle it hit the 111°C mark. When I backed off it immediately cooled again. I also noticed a heap less vapour from the tank when opening it after it had emptied which leads me to believe that these cheap and relatively easy to do mods have worked. I must admit after that run I took my alloy pipe off the engine feed side and left the filter and the alloy pressure line and it made little difference until I gave it a rev where the engine climbed a lil higher to 115°C

More testing to come once i get a proper cooler and more fuel.. I`m all out now.

Last edited:
Back