Just ran new savage 25 (HELP)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveono

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just ran the first 2 tanks of gas through my new savage. The first was just letting the truck run while slowly turning the tires. The second was slowly getting it to top speed then letting off. But it was just spitting ad sputtering when it got to full throttle. Is it supposed to do this because its so rich? Or should it rev high enough to shift gears, because this one didnt even come close. Also what do I do with all this extra antennawire? Its got like twice as much as the max did. Thanks

Yep, it's rich it's supposed to do that.

Even though you will slowly be leaning it out tank after tank, it won't really acheive it's max power until about tank 10. It'll pick up the pace after it gets leaned outa bit and wears in some. If you can't keep it running lean it out by about 1/16th or a turn on the HSN.. If this is your first nitro, just remember to make very small turns on the screws

Have patience and your engine will last a LONG time.. cheese yourself through the break in, and it will die before it's time..

Lykan's info is correct. However, in your post you said on tank 2 you were running it to "Top speed". That's not correct. You should only be running at about half throttle, in figure 8s, and braking for each turn. No new engine will run WOT on the second tank without spitting a lot of fuel.
Also, find BDC (bottom dead center) and put a mark on the flywheel at that point. As soon as you shut down after each tank, return the piston to BDC and allow the engine to cool down completely before refueling and restarting.
That's a critical part of the 'heat cycling' during the break in process.
Shifting is also related to tuning, and during the first tanks it's usually recommended that you don't allow the truck to shift.
Be patient, and do it right. The life and performance of the engine depends on it.

bump for the antenna wire question..

Spiral the extra wire down the outside of the tube, and secure it at the end with a short piece of fuel line. DO NOT cut anything off. The length is tuned to that frequency.

You can also cut the antennae tube in half and then spiral the excess wire around the tube. Then apply some heat shrink tubing to keep it all secured.

long antenna

DSC_0055.jpg

short antenna

DSC_0095.jpg

more proprtioned IMO

DSC_0091.jpg

Nice antenna tip Sweet D. How far does it come out of the body though?

With my RCS cage, the body sits a little higher than with stock mounts. The antenna on my body sticks out 3.1 inches.

DSC_0138.jpg

Hey thats a good idea - No glitching problems or anything? I was under the impression that even having the antenna wire not extended its full lenght could cause issues? I was thinkin about just makin one or two small rolls near the reciever, then runnin the wire through the antenna tube to prevent the extra length from goin beyond the tip, but was concerned about issues of maybe losing distance/reliability?

~ Mike

I have the extra wire inside the radio box. and just enough outside the tube to catch and hold it with the tip. no glitching etc. seems ok.

Nev

I have no glitching or loss in operating distance. Where people have problems is when they cut the extra wire length.

Back