Jato updates, stampede and dual brake disks.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
This was one of my earlier threads for those that want to see the progression of this mess:
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56417

This was what I was currently running with:
2009-0912-JatoCutHeadRight.jpg

17mm NE hubs with w/e rims and pro-line road rage on the front with w/e rims and OFNA "stadium" tires on the rear. Those tires are discontinued and the set I have are getting fairly bald.

So, knowing those tires tires were about to be extinct (discontinued on tower), I figured I better find something else. Which really sucks, since those were great on the jato for ride height, jumping cushion and general grip/wear on road and off.

With snow on the ground, I was looking for some wider tires without losing the ride height that the 1/8 buggy wheels/tires gave me. Low and behold, stampede tires seem to be just about the same height and will bolt right on. At least on the rear.

I picked up some 12mm alloy hubs and a set of stampede rims/tires and threw them on:
2009-1230-JatoStampedeTiresRearExhaust.jpg

2009-1230-JatoStampedeTiresRearTop.jpg

I'm also running a set of 1/8 badlands on the front as the road rage tires weren't grabbing at all in the cold.

Knowing how sucky the brakes are, I cobbled together dual disks using a spare xxx-nt disk and hub that I had. The disk on there was another xxx-nt disk I had anyway when I busted the stock one. I used an HPI brake pad as my LHS didn't carry anything traxxas. Hopefully it will slow down better now. Seems to lock them up in the house on the carpet. Hopefully they will bite better yet once the new disk/pad wears in a bit.

2009-1230-JatoDualBrakesSide.jpg

2009-1230-JatoDualBrakesTop.jpg

If these new tires hold up, I may take a look at whats available for stampede rims. I think they are the same rims as stock on the jato, 2.8", if so, I can at least throw a set on the front as well with my spare jato stock rims.

I'll just need to find some wide/tall tires like what's on the stampede to keep the ride height but have a more aggressive tread as I'm sure these will be pretty spin happy. Will probably still resort to buggy rims for on-road since I have two full sets of pro-line road rage on 1/8 wheels. Or, if adding this extra width with the stampede tires starts busting parts needlessly.

Now I just need to figure out how to mount up a roll bar/support to keep from busting rear shock towers all the time. I'm open to any suggestions!

That things sick with the new tread!

A buddy of mine is running the same tire and rim setup front and rear and they hook like crazy all over. He also added the dual brake along with the AL brake lever. You wont be disappointed with the tire choice.

Would be nice if RPM would make a rear tower for the thing. I keep breaking them. I'm trying to figure out a roll bar that will take the hit vs the shock tower. I can't figure out anything that won't force me to totally mangle the body.

I made an attempt with 5/16" round bar last night, but after getting it all bent up, I can't figure a way to mount the body. I'll pick up a piece of 1/4" round bar today to try with. Easier to bend and smaller diameter may allow me to not mangle the body so much.

This is what I currently have, but won't use:
2009-1230-JatoRollBar-Version01-01.jpg

2009-1230-JatoRollBar-Version01-04.jpg

Will try to make something more like this instead:
2009-1230-JatoRollBar-Version01-01-edited.jpg

2009-1230-JatoRollBar-Version01-03-edited.jpg

Using 1/4" round bar will allow me to make the tighter bends and should fit under the body for the most part. I'll need to cut a bit out over the top of the shock tower but that's as good as I think I can do while still attempting to let the roll bar take the rearward hit instead of the tower. Then I can at least get the roll bar to absorb the hit and move while pushing the stock roll bar forward at least 3/4" before hitting the tower.

Well, the tires totally suck in snow. Can't imagine there are any tires out there that work very well on a 2wd rig anyway. Where there was drive pavement yesterday, there was 1/2 inch of snow today. Basically just did donuts for half an hour and gave up.

Back