jato: fragile, bad reputation ? and pull start better then ez start ?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgilbert

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hey yall. kinda new hear but whatever. i was doing some research on the jato 3.3 here and a few other places and noticed its been getting alot of bad rap ? whats with that ? heard alot of people mention they are fragile and break easy. and have endless problems with there jato ? what gives? i just got a jato 3.3 on a trade for a rustler. love it and I've already beaten the piss out of it and aside from ripping tires off the wheels :whhooo: I've had zero issues.
also it has the ez start and i know the 3.3 has a considerable amount of compression over the 2.5 and it seems my battery can't keep up and dies fairly fast I'm sure the battery needs to be replaced, but i noticed lots of people mentioning switching to pull start ? is that a better option for my 3.3 ?

The Jato has it's known weak points, mainly the two front tabs on the upper chassis plate because they break easily. Was your Rustler Nitro? I've got both, Nitro Rustler and Jato, and my Rusty has taken a ton of abuse. As far as your starter, you've got a couple options, you could either keep the EZ Start and use a separate ignitor or switch to a pull start with a separate ignitor.

The Jato has it's known weak points, mainly the two front tabs on the upper chassis plate because they break easily. Was your Rustler Nitro? I've got both, Nitro Rustler and Jato, and my Rusty has taken a ton of abuse. As far as your starter, you've got a couple options, you could either keep the EZ Start and use a separate ignitor or switch to a pull start with a separate ignitor.

it was electric actually hah good trade for me hah the guy just wanted out of nitro and wanted an electric hah, how does the separate ignitor work with the ez start ? and how does that help with the batery life ? aside from the battery also being used to het the glow plug.. does that use a subsantial amout of battery ?

The main reason is that the blue wire gets damaged easily and the fact that glow ignitors are just easier and more reliable. What mah is your battery?

The main reason is that the blue wire gets damaged easily and the fact that glow ignitors are just easier and more reliable. What mah is your battery?

i wanna say its an 1800mah ? does that sound right ? its just a small standard battery.
i get what your saying on the blue wire. whats the reliability of a pull ? is it worth the money ? and whats the chances of it breaking ?

Yeah, 1800 sounds about right. You could get a larger capacity battery, it'll last a bit longer (depends on mah), 3000 would be a decent size and should still fit in the wand. The only time I like the EZ-Start is when I'm having tuning issues and the engine keeps stalling, other than that though, I like my pull starts. The pull start make the rig a little lighter and easier to work on, plus you're only carrying your glow ignitor when you are out running it. I've never had a Traxxas pull start break, their cord is pretty long.

Yeah, 1800 sounds about right. You could get a larger capacity battery, it'll last a bit longer (depends on mah), 3000 would be a decent size and should still fit in the wand. The only time I like the EZ-Start is when I'm having tuning issues and the engine keeps stalling, other than that though, I like my pull starts. The pull start make the rig a little lighter and easier to work on, plus you're only carrying your glow ignitor when you are out running it. I've never had a Traxxas pull start break, their cord is pretty long.

okay awesome. thanks man. that helps a ton.
also. do you know of any ideal upgrades or mods. worth taking into consideration for the jato ? i mostly just do bashing, but going to the track is on my list of to do things.

okay awesome. thanks man. that helps a ton.
also. do you know of any ideal upgrades or mods. worth taking into consideration for the jato ? i mostly just do bashing, but going to the track is on my list of to do things.

Look into doing the dual brake mod, I've heard it's worth it. I'd also pick up some RPM arms when you break yours, and throw a set of TBR bumpers on it for some protection. Look into a front chassis brace, it'll help protect those tabs on the upper chassis plate that like to break, I think they come in aluminum or carbon fiber. If you're still running the AA batteries in the car, I'd get a rechargeable flat rx pack. You could also look into better servos and radio system.

Look into doing the dual brake mod, I've heard it's worth it. I'd also pick up some RPM arms when you break yours, and throw a set of TBR bumpers on it for some protection. Look into a front chassis brace, it'll help protect those tabs on the upper chassis plate that like to break, I think they come in aluminum or carbon fiber. If you're still running the AA batteries in the car, I'd get a rechargeable flat rx pack. You could also look into better servos and radio system.

alright. that helps a ton. i already have rpm arms and an aluminum rear shock tower. and i heard its recommended to replace the stock gear box also ? or transmission whatever you like to call it hah and i was looking into the dual brake also. i was also looking into the rx flat pack.
question in regards to the servos and radio. whats the big advantage of upgrade ? mine seem to be fairly strong and i dont mind the radio but could you explain the upgrade and purpose ? i will do it anyways. just curious about the concept.

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/album.php?albumid=897

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

here is the link of my jato

[/COLOR]https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/album.php?albumid=897[/QUOTE]

Your Jato looks nice man, just be careful when ordering aluminum. Integy is the easiest brand to find when looking for aluminum parts but they're know for being weak and having now warranty. It looks like you're still running the 27 mhz radio, am I right? If you are, upgrading to a 2.4ghz system will improve range and almost eliminate glitching, plus you won't have to worry about someone else using the same crystals as you. Another bonus is the fact that most of the current 2.4 try have multi model memory, it's a great feature to have.....you'll probably end up getting more rigs. If you're happy with your servos, keep them until they die. The pros of upgrading them is that you be able to get some faster/stronger ones, this will make your car respond faster and be able to turn the wheels a little easier.

Your Jato looks nice man, just be careful when ordering aluminum. Integy is the easiest brand to find when looking for aluminum parts but they're know for being weak and having now warranty. It looks like you're still running the 27 mhz radio, am I right? If you are, upgrading to a 2.4ghz system will improve range and almost eliminate glitching, plus you won't have to worry about someone else using the same crystals as you. Another bonus is the fact that most of the current 2.4 try have multi model memory, it's a great feature to have.....you'll probably end up getting more rigs. If you're happy with your servos, keep them until they die. The pros of upgrading them is that you be able to get some faster/stronger ones, this will make your car respond faster and be able to turn the wheels a little easier.

alright sweet thats what i figured. and yes i am using the 27mhz right now. ill look into the 2.4ghz. i figured that was they only positives on the servos i was just curious. hah thanks man. still a work in progress but runs like a bat out of hell hah fun truck too. i was looking at the integy products. they look decent but as you mentioned kinda weak. so ill do my research on the product first. thanks for all your help man.

No problem man, that's what the forum's for. You can take a look at my Jato (first page has broken pic links), if you want, it's still a work in progress though so I'll be updating it as I go. If you have any other questions or want to get some opinions on parts you're looking at just let us know.