I've been using my Kraton 6s for a few months now. The problem is that 4 batteries have now failed internally, and I have no Idea why.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordons_Hobbies

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
The batteries I am using are 3-cell Gens-Ace Pro bashing batteries (8000mah). Other than some flakes of plastic coming off of the outer cover from the stickers, the batteries appear to be in good shape, including the contacts. However, upon charging, I am given the DISCONNECT warning from my charger, which always charged batteries properly. This includes the ones that failed. Any ideas why?

Where I live, there is nowhere for proper extreme bashing (i.e. skateparks or pump tracks) other than the quarry, where I try to avoid smacking into big things. So again, any ideas why these batteries simply refuse to work?

If the lipos work well with the ESC in the car than it must be the charger. What charger are you using? Are you using the correct settings? For those batteries it should be lipo, 3s(11.1V) 8.0amp charge rate for 1C, and balance charge or normal charge.

My charger doesn't go above 6A, for one. It defaulted to 2A and has yet to kill any of my 2-cell batteries.
For another, i always make sure that the voltage is set correctly and if it's notl the charger makes a sound, flashes a warning and doesn't charge the battery, be it too high or low a voltage setting.

I use a B6 V2 balance charger.

The batteries I am using are 3-cell Gens-Ace Pro bashing batteries (8000mah). Other than some flakes of plastic coming off of the outer cover from the stickers, the batteries appear to be in good shape, including the contacts. However, upon charging, I am given the DISCONNECT warning from my charger, which always charged batteries properly. This includes the ones that failed. Any ideas why?

Where I live, there is nowhere for proper extreme bashing (i.e. skateparks or pump tracks) other than the quarry, where I try to avoid smacking into big things. So again, any ideas why these batteries simply refuse to work?
By "failed" are you referring to the fact they both stopped charging?
Did they ever charge?
Did they both stop working at the exact same time?
Have you tried charging them on another charger?
Do you know what the last IRs on the cells were?
Got pics of the batteries, especially of the connectors and wires?

I'm trying to wrap my head around this

invest in a charger that will charge batteries at 1c. a b6 is a beginners charger,

Hitec x2
SkyRC t200
Hota D6 Pro

All good chargers right now

Junsi I chargers are good high end chargers (more for the 1/10 And 1/8 rc racers.
With the Hitec you need 4mm bullet to what you need

With the sky rc and Hota you need xt60 to what you need.

Gens-Ace are notorious for taking short cuts on their balance lead wiring.

Try pushing into the pack with a little pressure with the balance lead connected to the charger and see if it momentarily gets a good reading, then goes away after you release your hand from the balance lead.

I can't tell you how many Gens-Ace (and several other name brand) packs I've had to repair due to low quality internal wiring issues :(

As you start your investigation, take note of which wire has come loose and needs to be re-soldered, you might get lucky and re-solder without having to disassemble the pack!

Here's one case where an internal solder tab failed and how I was able to repair it to give you an idea of what's involved if you choose to make the repair yourself:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sho...-to-repair-LiPo-pack&perpage=100#post40111183

Side Note: Gens-Ace lost me as a customer due to lost-leader sales tactics, so I am biased against them in general as a heads up :(

Good Luck!

I had a brand new Gens battery do this exact same thing. I actually sent it to Greywolf thinking it was a dud, and he found that the balance lead was bad and fixed it.

I'm not going to point the finger at the batteries I'm pointing it at the charger,

depends, if the batteries both stopped charging at the same time then I agree, Id suspect the charger.

I'm not going to point the finger at the batteries I'm pointing it at the charger,
agreed if only 1 pack is messing up, but if both packs at the same time, then it could be a faulty balance harness, I always keep a spare balance harness for my charger at all times, never know when one will fail ;)

I know from many times hearing guys using a b6 ac.dc both get the error message listed due to supply he can rid error message by using a dc supply of 18 volts

Thanks to all of you! But it's usually 1 battery at a time that will stop charging. This, as well as the first time, when my Kraton read 4 cells instead of 6.

The other batteries also failed one at a time. I still have one, it charged an ran fine in my modified infraction (3s capable).

This charger has worked for years, even since I got my RWD Granite Voltage. Even now, it charges all of my batteries to their maximum voltage. I even did a little bit of kwik maffs. The 3s batteries that charged properly charged to 12.60 Volts (4.2/cell), and stopped running at their safe minimum of 9.6 Volts (3.2/cell). Same with the 2s batteries.

(Little side story; my 1/24 crawler charger caused battery #3 to swell up and make my room smell nice. This has happened twice beforehand. Don't get a USB 'dumb' charger. It'll drop you down to its IQ)

Thanks to all of you! But it's usually 1 battery at a time that will stop charging. This, as well as the first time, when my Kraton read 4 cells instead of 6.

The other batteries also failed one at a time. I still have one, it charged an ran fine in my modified infraction (3s capable).

This charger has worked for years, even since I got my RWD Granite Voltage. Even now, it charges all of my batteries to their maximum voltage. I even did a little bit of kwik maffs. The 3s batteries that charged properly charged to 12.60 Volts (4.2/cell), and stopped running at their safe minimum of 9.6 Volts (3.2/cell). Same with the 2s batteries.

(Little side story; my 1/24 crawler charger caused battery #3 to swell up and make my room smell nice. This has happened twice beforehand. Don't get a USB 'dumb' charger. It'll drop you down to its IQ)

Did you inspect the wiring (i.e. wiggling them) for the balance leads on charger as well as the leads going into the pack?

If you're losing lipos one by one and your charger has been in service for years then I suspect the charger is developing an intermittent issue of some sort. Not trying to diss on your gear but the B6 is literally one of the cheapest chargers you can buy. Id try Bill's suggestion first and if that doesn't yeild any results then Id look at buying a new charger.