Is this idea really all that foolish?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjstinson

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Keep in mind:

I have an Exceed Forza .18 buggy that is essentially an entry-level toy-grade RC. While it is a great buggy for the price and has respectable performance, I have it as more of a learning tool as I enter this hobby. I would hate to completely destroy the engine, but I wouldn't cry over it.

BRACE YOURSELVES... THIS IS GOING TO SOUND LIKE I WENT FULL RETARD
All that said, I had to recently remove the pull start as there was a leak into the pull start case that deteriorated the pull line before I discovered the problem. I took everything off, sealed it, and then put it back together. I took one pull on the cord and it snapped. Now I am left with the choice of getting a pull start replacement, buying an electric drill starter, or....

What would happen if I just put the engine plate back on with the shaft exposed (perhaps seal around it and within to keep out debris) and just clamped down on the shaft with a standard cordless drill and used it to crank the piston to start the RC?

Is that so strange? What is an electric start but a housing for a drill in the first place? I get that there are fundamental concerns of debris in the cylinder and finding the correct power on the drill as to not do harm the engine. But theoretically, isn't this possible?

I wouldn't think of doing this to just any RC, but I'm willing to give it a try on this one if there is a reasonable possibility of success.

Is anyone else curious?

If it is theoretically possible, what would you do (within feasible reason) to be sure of success or the best possibility of success? Just forget for a moment that I am taking a risk and play along with me... wouldn't you want to know? Am I insane to even consider it? I'm willing to take the chance.

What do you think?

Last edited:
You can clamp the one-way bearing in your drill chuck (or us it in a socket that is driven by your drill) and start it that way, but using the drill directly on the shaft will not work.

If you want to do it that way, you'll need a very large drill with at least a 1/2 chuck. How will you get it to the back of your engine?

I think I misspoke. I would use a socket and there is room to do so. The socket would attach to the one way hex bearing on the shaft which is connected to the piston by a pin. I might be a complete idiot for even considering it. I'm not the most mechanical and I am still new to all of this.

I think I misspoke. I would use a socket and there is room to do so. The socket would attach to the one way hex bearing on the shaft which is connected to the piston by a pin. I might be a complete idiot for even considering it. I'm not the most mechanical and I am still new to all of this.

That will work just fine. Just use electrical tape or something to retain the OWB in your socket, or I guarantee it'll go zinging off into the dirt.

(and remember that the engine turns clockwise from the rear)

Keep in mind:

I have an Exceed Forza .18 buggy that is essentially an entry-level toy-grade RC. While it is a great buggy for the price and has respectable performance, I have it as more of a learning tool as I enter this hobby. I would hate to completely destroy the engine, but I wouldn't cry over it.

Wow...you sound just like me when I first started this hobby. I had an Exceed Forza and basically used it as a learning tool. A few quick things:
1. That pull start SUCKS. A friend of mine has a RedCat Tornado (it's the exact same buggy) and he was haing trouble with this pull cord breaking so I put some fishing line in it.

2. Assume you have the CXP .18? Unless you completed jacked everything up....I doubt you'd tell a difference in performance even if it was not 100% sealed. However, I personally would not try it unless it's something you just want to do.

3. How are you liking that Forza? I'm happy to help with any questions if you have them. I took mine apart and rebuilt it so many times it isn't funny. That buggy is a major PIA to wrench on.

4. The reason I did the above is because I'd say something broke 100% of the time I took it off-road. It got to the point it was almost impressive they could make a vehicle so undurable. You are correct...it can move pretty good, but I'll never forget something broke one time when I just went off the curb.

5. However, your plan is good (learning on that buggy). Just don't let it frustrate you too much because IMO that is the absolute bottom of the barrel when it comes to rc vehicles. When you decide to upgrade, I'd recommend a Hyper 7. http://www.amain.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_44_48_2637/products_id/119503/n/OFNA-Hyper-7-TQ-Sport-RTR-1-8-Off-Road-Buggy-w-24Ghz-Radio-JL-28-Pull-StartThe quallity difference is that of paper airplane vs a fighter jet. The glow ignitor that comes with it is actually good, however. ;-)

I use the method of a OWB in a socket with a flex extension to start several of my custom builds with no issues. I secure the OWB in the socket with Shoe Goo. Use a drill with a clutch set at the lowest setting that will turn the engine to prevent damage and your good to go.

DSC06099.gif

DSC06100.gif

Wow...you sound just like me when I first started this hobby. I had an Exceed Forza and basically used it as a learning tool. A few quick things:
1. That pull start SUCKS. A friend of mine has a RedCat Tornado (it's the exact same buggy) and he was haing trouble with this pull cord breaking so I put some fishing line in it.

2. Assume you have the CXP .18? Unless you completed jacked everything up....I doubt you'd tell a difference in performance even if it was not 100% sealed. However, I personally would not try it unless it's something you just want to do.

3. How are you liking that Forza? I'm happy to help with any questions if you have them. I took mine apart and rebuilt it so many times it isn't funny. That buggy is a major PIA to wrench on.

4. The reason I did the above is because I'd say something broke 100% of the time I took it off-road. It got to the point it was almost impressive they could make a vehicle so undurable. You are correct...it can move pretty good, but I'll never forget something broke one time when I just went off the curb.

5. However, your plan is good (learning on that buggy). Just don't let it frustrate you too much because IMO that is the absolute bottom of the barrel when it comes to rc vehicles. When you decide to upgrade, I'd recommend a Hyper 7. http://www.amain.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_44_48_2637/products_id/119503/n/OFNA-Hyper-7-TQ-Sport-RTR-1-8-Off-Road-Buggy-w-24Ghz-Radio-JL-28-Pull-StartThe quallity difference is that of paper airplane vs a fighter jet. The glow ignitor that comes with it is actually good, however. ;-)
Haha! Yes, I have learned the Exceed Forza is absolute crap. It does break 100% of the time it goes off road. I got it for my son for Christmas and I felt awful that it spent more time on the workbench than on the trail. So I bought a Savage X 4.6 and it has now been sent back to HPI (their fault, not mine) and it hasn't even been tuned yet. I am not having the best luck so far.

I have looked a the Hyper 7 and it is on my radar. Thanks for the suggestion.

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

I use the method of a OWB in a socket with a flex extension to start several of my custom builds with no issues. I secure the OWB in the socket with Shoe Goo. Use a drill with a clutch set at the lowest setting that will turn the engine to prevent damage and your good to go.

DSC06099.gif

DSC06100.gif
Snook, that was perfect. Just what I was thinking! Thanks for the pictures.

1. That pull start SUCKS. A friend of mine has a RedCat Tornado (it's the exact same buggy) and he was haing trouble with this pull cord breaking.

One of my buddy's is currently having that issue in his. :hehe:

And I have used the same method as @Snook Man uses and I never had a problem with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not just replace the rope for the super cheep option?

Why not just replace the rope for the super cheep option?
I considered that, but I thought I would just pop on an electric start if I ever had to do that as many people have had issues with the particular pull start on these 1/10 scale buggies. I am still not 100% sure if I have even fixed the leak that caused the rope to snap in the first place so I didn't want to put on a new ANYTHING until I had corrected that issue first. Once I have determined that the leak is covered, I will consider if I will get the pull start, re-thread the rope, or get the EZ Start. However, if the drill option works and is not more of a hassle, then I will just use the new method for as long as it remains efficient and effective.

Again, I am using the experience to learn and tinker. I thought that was the fun with the RC hobby and I could use the experience.

Nitro Nerd:

I got the buggy for my son and it was impressive for the price. I never expected so much speed right out of the box. My brother, a cop, clocked it at 40 mph and it was completely stock and not even at full speed. We started using it just on the blacktop street outside our house and we loved it. Until...

One or two weeks in and I was walking the street to pick the car up from some rut it was stuck in. I looked down and noticed a black dog bone and thought, "Could that have really came from MY RC? No one else has an RC on this street. We just got it and how on earth does a dog bone come out from a freshly paved blacktop?" Sure enough, it was from the left front and I put it back in. I still don't know how that happened, but I was glad that I didn't have to order a new part two weeks in.

My son wasn't interested in it just yet (he was still enjoying the warmth of his bedroom and the new Battlefield 4 game he also got for Christmas) It was so fast and hard to handle that he was nervous he would break it. He accidentally drove it off the top of 5' drop into a frozen ditch. The car just was so erratic from a launch or even a steady acceleration. So I played with it and I could NEVER get it to run a straight line. No matter what I did with the suspension or steering trims, the thing just wrestled with me on a solution that would last longer than a couple runs. As soon as I thought I would have a handle on the handling (see what I did there?) something would come loose, break, fall off... it was ENDLESS!

I bought $150 in upgrades and replacement parts.

• Aluminum suspension parts (front and rear upper and lower arms)
    Dogbones with the connected stub axles (that was the best part I ever bought and I think all RCs should come with the dogbone attached if it does not already use that area as a stress point)
    An assortment of extra screws and wheels from Madcat (their Shockwave is nearly identical in design and their parts are often cheaper and more available)
    Shocks (they were cheap, but still and improvement to the stock ones and they were threaded for easier adjustment)
    Aluminum hubs (snapped the rear one so I just replaced ALL of them with the aluminum upgrade.)

Now, I didn't throw all that I purchased onto the car. I was selective. If something was broke, I put the aluminum replacement on and, if applicable, to the opposite side.

The weather got bad for a few weeks so it sat in the hobby room of our basement. I noticed a leak that seemed to originate from the rear of the engine. It was ALL over the right-rear suspension arms, turnbuckle, pull start housing, manifold... it was dark so it was not raw fuel. I thought it was just due to the flip it made the last time I bashed around with it or just a really rich run and the exhaust blew back over the car.

I cleaned the rear of the car, placed a small tube on the exhaust opening to draw its output 90 degrees from the direction of travel and took it back out for a run on a nice day. The fluid returned and was very centralized over the pullstart. I removed the pull start later and it was a very dark, rich, fluid. I don't know if it is coming in through the shaft or around the rear engine plate and flowing back into the black pull start housing. ? Either way, I cleaned it good, sealed it with a very light layer from the red gasket tube, and let it set for 24 hours. When I went to pull the cord snapped.

If I were to review the buggy, it would be a fair one. I think the engine, drivetrain, remote, and frame are solid. I mean, for $160 those things were worth it. I also appreciated the waterproof servos (though I know that many prefer quicker and stronger response). For a beginner or a child 10+ years-old, it is a value... but ONLY if you plan to teach the mechanics of the hobby (which is why I wanted to get it for my son and went nitro rather than electric), AND THE BUYER is VERY AWARE that it may as well be a kit. The RTR next to it's name is only true for about 5 tanks. After that, it is a kit and you may as well order upgrades and replacements the day you pour the first drop of nitro into the tank.

So, I don't mind tinkering with it. When the engine burps it's final stroke, I'll probably just put it in the corner. I might keep it around for parts or tinker more on rainy days when there is nothing more to do, but when the engine goes I don't think it will be worthy of an engine replacement and never an upgrade- that would be like painting the Titanic.

I would love to hear what you have done to your toy-grade buggy. I wonder if I went to wheels of a better quality and higher foam content if that would improve the handling? It was going to be my next purchase. I want to bash the HECK out of the thing, but it goes off-road like a skateboard. It's almost hilarious to watch .18 engine push the bouncing 2x10 through my yard.