Is this a good car to start the hobby

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beattie738

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So I have always wanted to get one of these wee cars and build, upgrade and tinker with them but just never got round to it. So i am thinking of getting one for christmas. I think I should probably go with a self build kit then I will be able to understand the inners of the car which means I won't be left stumped when something breaks in it after I most likely run it into a wall ;)

Heres the car I was thinking of going with:
http://www.nitrotek.co.uk/rc-cars/n...bly/condor-self-build-nitro-rc-buggy-kit.html

Do you guys recommend any spare parts that are likely to break early on or any upgrades that would be better to get for the car straight away?

What all else do I need other than this kit and some fuel?

Thanks in Advance seems like a great community on here :)

Don't expect many replies in the middle of the night. I'm guessing you're in England. You'll need to wait till most members get back from school or home from work.

Don't expect many replies in the middle of the night. I'm guessing you're in England. You'll need to wait till most members get back from school or home from work.
Ohh sorry didn't realise it was an american forum will wait to morning :)

We've got members all over the world, including quite a few in your neighborhood. Most of the forum activity here is during U.S.A. prime time evenings, though. Also, keep in mind that we have 4 time zones and our earliest one is 5 hours behind you.

My advice is to treat the condor like it was the Black Death itself. If you really want a quality buggy on the cheap then Id look at the OFNA Ultra LX2. If you wanted something different than a buggy you can check Nitrohouse for other OFNA kits but theyre mainly in the buggy business :) You can also check all the different kits on the Traxxas website. Alot of their brushed kits or nitro kits can be good for people looking to get into the hobby without spending a small fortune.

Last edited:
I agree with Greywolf about Condor, I would avoid it. Is there a hobby shop near you?

No hobby shops near me unfortunately but does anyone know of a uk supplier and what the best beginner car is in the UK? Don't want to spend anymore than £200 on it like!

Heres a site that looks ok. I'm in the US so I'm not really familair with UK based sites. This Thunder Tiger 1/8 EB4 S3 RTR Nitro buggy is about the closest thing I see to £200 but its a bit over that mark. That site does have some 1/10 scale Thunder Tiger buggies for £169 but Id save up a bit more and go for the 1/8. Thunder Tiger isnt real high up on my list of recommended manufacturers but theyre ok and plenty good enough to get your foot in the door.

Is their much difference between a 1/10 and 1/8? Do I still get all the same features only its slightly smaller?

As stated before, I'd stay away from Condor (as well as nitrotek). I've only heard negative things about them, read this. Model Sport UK is a known site to buy from in the UK, I've used them and never had an issue.

Is their much difference between a 1/10 and 1/8? Do I still get all the same features only its slightly smaller?
Theres really not anything wrong with 1/10 scale kits and they do usually have all the same features so if your really want to go that route go for it. Its just my personal preference. I just tend to find 1/8 scale buggies much more fun because of the size difference. And the website that Schrode listed does seem to be better than that one I linked :)

I have a 1/10 scale 2WD stadium truck very similar to the Firestorm. Although the stadium trucks are fast and fun, they're also quite fragile.
I'd look into something more durable like an 1/8 scale buggy. They're durable, easy to work on, and multi functional.

Since you're in the UK I think the Thunder Tiger buggy would be worth looking into. They're relatively inexpensive, they have great support in the UK,
and my TTR buggys have been as durable as other models of buggys I've raced against.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-fir...rallycross-buggy-green/rc-car-products/380120

Some extra glow plugs, a glow plug igniter, a good tool kit, some batteries, maybe look into putting a rechargeable receiver pack in that buggy, and of course some nitro fuel.

Where do you plan on running your buggy? They don't do to well in any grass longer then a medium length.

The Firestorm is ok. I've never owned one but I knew a guy that had one. Very similiar to my Traxxas Rustlers. I prefer the Rustler just because it has more aftermarket part support than the Firestorm does. The buggy is still a good option too. Either way you want to go you'll probably be happy

Great,
Ill most likely be running it on tarmac and short grass, wont be running it through any long or medium grass really :)

I do agree with Beattie this is the perfect model to start the hobby .That will be more fun to get self build kit and made it by himself and beginners can learn a lot form it .

Definitely wouldn't go with a Condor, they are rather cheap and tacky, they will most certainly break and you will have a hard job finding spares. I would go with:
HPI RACING: Very solid build quality, excellent customer service.
Traxxas: No personal experience but have heard good things
or LOSI OR OFNA OR KYOSHO, No experience but they are good brands from what I have heard.

Back