Is there such a thing as a dual rate module that plugs in to a receiver?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazzarose

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,

I built a DT03 buggy over Xmas with the 'help' of my 4ryr old son. The build was good fun (apart from the stickers, I hate cutting out stickers!!, Please Tamiya precut them!) but the driving was even more fun. Its the first dabble I've had with an RC car for about 10 years, and even then it was only a TT01 that I did a bit of car park drifting with, and going off road and doing little jumps took me back to the Traxxas Nitro Hawk I had when I was a kid. My boys excitement was the best though, its something new for him and he was keen to have a go. He sort of figured out the steering, but unless I controlled the power he was just flat out, usually in to something solid! The transmitter I've got is a basic 2.4G one that only has the bare essential functions. The 2.4G stuff, even at this level, is a revelation though, no more crystals! I'm looking for a way to be able to limit the throttle so that even if he goes all out its only slow. Is there anything I could plug in between the receiver and the ESC to add dual rate? My radio has got a 3rd channel so if that could be used to switch on/off the dual rate then all the better, but thats not all that important. In the long term if he gets in to driving it I may get another car for myself so we can 'play' together and I'll probably get a decent transmitter for that, but a £150+ transmitter isn't really something I want to have in the hands of a 4yr old, so if I can do something for the time being with my current transmitter that would be great. I had though about using an arduino, but my programming skills don't extend far past making an led flash so something ready made and preferably cheap would be ideal.

Thanks

Gareth

Id suggest getting a better radio that you can turn down the Throttle endpoints to make it crawl.. I dont know of any rx operated dual rate .. I know a traxxas radio with there receiver has a training mode that is 50%...not many options for this type of fix,

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I just came back to possibly answer my own question.

I did some more googling and found that dual rate is similar to end point adjustment. By googling that I found a company in the UK that makes a few cool little modules that are mainly aimed at flight and boats and they do a module thats intended to get retractable landing gear to stop in the right place. It won't be a true dual rate, only that it will stop the servo (or ESC in my case) at a chosen point even though the throttle lever is still going further. They also do RC switches so I may get one of them as well to see if I can use it to switch back and fore between full power and reduced power. If not I can use it to add some lights.

End point adjuster

Basic radios don't offer much options as you requesting. A better radio with EPA and dual rate trims are what you need.

Easiest option is to tap a block of foam behind the throttle trigger, I swear I found an ebay or Amazon add once that sold a 3d printed thing that slipped on the throttle trigger and put prevent it from being pulled back all the way.