Is there a difference between car lipos and airplane lipo batteries

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottc

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I ran into this question at the LHS today and i did a search and did not come up any answers so iam posing the question here or the discussion of the question...

I can see there is 2 main differences i do know of between car and plane batteries is hard and soft shells or case..
looking around at the cost to there is around 4 to 5 bucks more for the same size lipo battery in a hard shell.
and there is the plug and unplug wiring in the car lipos. (i don't care for that just more to go wrong)
I suppose the hard shell would not get damaged as easily as the soft shell.
other then the cost and hard shell i don't see any difference in the 2 different batteries and see no reason not to use the plane batteries in my cars or truck.

any thoughts to this folks.

I use the aircraft LiPos in my mini trucks all the time. The only things I do are to change the connector to a Deans and make sure they're secure in the vehicle. I've done this for 2+ years with no problems.

Lipos are lipos the reason for the hard shell is protection in the first hour after a plane crash it upsets stabilazation in the battery, and can cause it to explode. They recomend not even transportihg it in your vehical for that first hour.:whhooo:

No real difference as long as the C rating is high enough for the car ESC. I know my plane batteries (All 5000mah+) can be a much lower rating than say for my Slash.

never heard of the carsh thing or tranprorting after a crash. i was thinking the same thing hamz9561 said that using air plane batteries should not be a issue.

if you are running a soft case in your car and hit something hard there is a good chance the battery will catch on fire and burn it and your car to the ground. the hard case is protecting the cells. any damage to a cell on a lipo is dangerous. that being said, if you dont bash the car, you can get away with a soft case lipo. in a monster truck doing big jumps, i would not recommend running soft cases. Lipos are dangerous batteries if not handled and used correctly. look on you tube for what happens when they are charged wrong or over charged

I do know about all the dangers of lipos. tho when straped down in my trucks they dont seem to bounce around but there is allways the chance of a side crash that could open up a soft shell battery.

I do know about all the dangers of lipos. tho when straped down in my trucks they dont seem to bounce around but there is allways the chance of a side crash that could open up a soft shell battery.

Thats what the difference is :)

Back