Is it to late?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malky

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi all, I bought 3 second hand nitros at the end of last year one of which is a Colt 10. Not a make that I have heard mentioned on this brilliant forum. The guy said he had only ran the colt once or twice and the impression I got is that he didn't know much about looking after them. So I'm guessing that the colt has never been broken in. My question is this, is it to late to break it in?
Thanks.

Do you mean to late in the year? If you do i would definitly wait for warmer weather 50 or above. Thats my personal opinon:\

Never too late to do a break in. The engine will sit there happily for months between break in tanks. If it's been sitting awhile I would tear down the engines for inspection before you try to start them though.

+1, Moto. I, too, would wait to finish the break-in of the engine until the temp as at least 60 to keep from wearing out the pinch in the engine.

Well originally I thought I was asking if I had missed the chance to break in the engine as someone had used it before me. Which I suppose I still am. Now you've made me think about the weather. I live in Aberdeen Scotland, right now it is about 50 F outside which is the warmest it has been about three months. Can I ask what exactly is the pinch point?
Thanks for all your input.

Pinch is the tightness if the piston head within the engine sleeve. If the glow plug is installed and you rotate the flywheel, you should feel some resistance as the piston reaches TDC. You'll also hear a pop.

If you can rotate the flywheel easily with the plug in, then the piston and sleeve may be worn out.

Hope this answers your question.

If you dont know the history behined it go ahead and run it through a break in procedure you can't go wrong ! This way you dont end up smokin a good engine better safe than sorry!:p:

I agree with wbill, can't hurt to try and break it in, lets just hope the guy you got it from did not hammer on it too bad without breaking it in! But it definitely can not hurt to run the break in procedure! :)

Thanks for all the input. I'm just waiting for my infrared thermometer to arrive and I'm going to break in the engine to be sure. The engine is still quite tight to pull and has good compression, quite difficult to turn the flywheel with your fingers. so would seem worthwhile doing. :D