Is it possible to have no bearings?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starfox2005

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
  3. Boating
This engine seems like it may not have bearings. I took the rear cover off and there was no bearing exposed. Not even behind the crankshaft? It also seems to have a compression leak in the cylinder head so I need new gaskets. But it seems like tower hobbies doesn't make them anymore because I searched the part # and nothing but manuals came up.
IMG_20210909_183846213.jpg

Could be... I've never seen one, but I've only messed with engines for the past 20 years, and they were all for land vehicles. Looking at the head on that one, appears to be for a plane, and a .40 at that (so likely lower RPM than any I've messed with).

I mean, the con-rods in none of our engines have bearings, they just rely on bushings and oil in the fuel to not die. Without having a side load on the crank like a land vehicle, as long as there was a lot of oil in the fuel, I guess it would work. Would expect it to be an oily mess after running though.

This engine seems like it may not have bearings. I took the rear cover off and there was no bearing exposed. Not even behind the crankshaft? It also seems to have a compression leak in the cylinder head so I need new gaskets. But it seems like tower hobbies doesn't make them anymore because I searched the part # and nothing but manuals came up.View attachment 132252

Most of the very old ones didnt have bearings ,they were only bushed bearing engines!.. :thumbs-up:

The nitro ninja strikes again! If its old enough to not have bearings good luck finding new gaskets. You may have to try and make one out of some high temp RTV

Alright! Send me a PM!

Alright! Send me a PM!

It is a new one ,but was stored in bad conditions ,so it has discoloration on the outside of the engine ,
I wouldnt ask much for it ,because I would rather someone to be able to use it then me hoarding it ,
I would have to pull it out of the shed an take pics of it!.. :thumbs-up:

Supposedly gaskets for an OS FP 40 engine will fit. They can be found on eBay

I found this

The Thunder Tigre GP 40 is a clone of the OS 40 FP you can go to the tower sirte and order them there. Hint, get the tower 40 gasket, also a direct clone of the OS 40 FP and the shipping is free.
Again for info, The TT,OS and Tower are completely interchangeable. In fact the Tower 40 has a true ABC liner and is the better set up. Also their crank is center ground and not cast as the OS is so it runs smoother and is slightly lighter.

IMG_20210911_112235677.jpg

As you can see there is no bearing behind the crankshaft. Also after I had only took the backplate off now the engine runs even more like crap. Can even keep it at idle.
Edit: it also seems to run really hot compared to my O.S. .46 engine. Like the head is too hot to touch yet it's spitting fuel out the exhaust?

View attachment 132529
As you can see there is no bearing behind the crankshaft. Also after I had only took the backplate off now the engine runs even more like crap. Can even keep it at idle.
Edit: it also seems to run really hot compared to my O.S. .46 engine. Like the head is too hot to touch yet it's spitting fuel out the exhaust?

The engine ran with out the back plate?...🤔

No I put the plate back on and mounted it to the plane and I had to flip the prop more than 100 times to try and get it started. Then it wouldn't hold the idle speed.

That's what I'm thinking. Either that or it's just dead due to bad gaskets. The gaskets look fine and I tightened all the screws down too. Not sure what I'm missing.
Sounds like the engine is about ready to blow the head off or something when it does run. Not like how it used to sound.

Back