Is it just me or are the hitec 645MG's not all that?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I've burned up a couple due to water, but quite a few that have taken a dive on me died during normal non-water related use. The one I was using in my Revo fried on me today. It's only been in there for about a gallons worth of running. What gives?

I fried one in my mammoth (not sure how), two in my savage (one due to water, one just quit going anywhere but left), one in my HB buggy... no, make that two. A couple in my maxx days as well.

I give up. No more Hitec for me.

Anyone know of a comparable servo to the 645MG? I'm a basher, so dropping $100+ on a servo seems stupid to me. $50-$60 I'm cool with, but either I suck at shopping or I should just give up and drive by wire.

I think I'm going to try the JR 650M. It's a little faster and stronger the the 645, which would be good in my mammoth. The problem is, I have 2 645's in my mammoth and one in my savage currently. With the one that just fried in my revo, that's four that I need to buy. Granted, not all at once, but still. It's very frustrating.

Any other suggestions? Preferably something that doesn't say bluebird on the side and has around 150oz/.2 sec @ 6v under $65 shipped.

I've had a Futaba S3305 last as much as 8 gallons before it finally gave out mechanically in my savage. I tried using a few for steering, but they just aren't strong enough for that. I think it's what I have in my revo now for throttle/brake duties and also in my savage for throttle/brake duties.

As for the hitec's I don't have my EPA's over extended, if anything, they are always short of mechanical limitations and I have servo savers on everything. They just stop centering or start wandering for no apparent reason.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I have heard of other having issues with some of JR's servos as well. I personally have not had issues with Hitecs, but I only use them for throttle duty.

I use the Airtronics 94358Z for steering duty. Good combo of speed and torque and I have not had a problem yet and I use one in my Savage, Revo, Buggy and Truggy.

I would much rather spend $100 on the 94358Z once than spend $50-$60 on one then have it break and end up buying another one. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with you there... but then again, spending $100 on it and having it break is much more heartbreaking.

At some point, the extra money is thrown into it for speed, better gears. There has to be a happy middle ground of quality parts/price. Maybe $100 is that middle ground and I'm just a cheap bastard? :ponder2:

I had a run of bad luck with some JR's this summer but they were all replaced and it was the only time I had problems. I ran the 650 in my Revo for two years. I've been running the HiTec Ti gears and so far they have been good. I ran two Airtronics servo's each on a different rig one throttle and one steering and both fried on me very quick. As a matter of fact mine fried about half a lap ahead of a buddy of mine running the same servo whose also fried.

Yeah that would suck.

Check ebay. The last time I picked-up a 94358Z was on there for around $75 shipped. It said Sanwa instead of Airtronics on the packaging but it is the same thing.

So... <$100 JR, hitec, airtronics all suck? Futaba doesn't make one that is a good contendor with any of those.

Hey check with Eddy, he had some one time deals he came across on some HiTecs but I don't remember what he had. The deals were smokin!

I broke both my 357 and 358 servos before even running my truggy (don't ask hahaha) but people seem to give them good reviews. I stripped my 357 gear while setting my steering because I was going back and fourth too fast, and the motor in my 358 died somehow...

I used to have a 645mg a loooooong time ago, and i hated it. It was too slow and weak. But, alot of people I know have switched over to the higher grade Hitec servos and they love them. Partly because of their warranty.

Yeah... but their hitec: http://www.teamfasteddy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=138
Which I think I might try to avoid for awhile. $12 cheaper than tower... Crap... I'm getting an itchy clicky finger.

Must.... resist.... urge... to... impulse.... buy....

I wonder if their warranty is valid after "waterproofing" them. Probably not. I just do it as a precaution. Especially with winter upon us. Snow will be my bashing domain soon.

Besides, I don't want to have to depend on a warranty. I'd rather have something that lasts. Granted, a warranty gives you that warm fuzzy, but it still doesn't make for a good bashing weekend when your servo is fried for no apparent reason.

Last edited:
Hey Olds if your waterproofing them with the plasti-dip stuff or similar there's a good chance they are overheating.

I guess they could be... Or maybe the vapors from the plasti-dip are toxic to the wiring in the motor, pot or circuit board.

The stuff that keeps it liquid is naptha a think.

I've had good luck with hitec if you buy the top end one's. I run a hitec 945mg great servo. JR on the other hand i bought 1 it was rated the same as hitec 645 it just died on the 3rd tank, and wasn't even bashed ,just 3 tanks driveing on the road easy..next time I'm buying a high end hitec again. dont think ill go JR again....... the 5645 mg from hitec lasted me 4 years till it got cleaner in it and tosted the circet bord good servo. though

get some small PC heat sinks and thermal putty them to your servos before plasti-dipping them......I've seen some guys do that and they say it makes a difference......hard to find a good side to do it to in some apps due to servo mounting positions.....but I also say it's better to drop a 100 and have it last 15 gallons than drop 50 every 3 or 4 gallons....I've had nothing but success with the 8611 (it's the older JR digi).....I haven't used my stuff much this year but they still work perfect every time I drag the stuff out to play.......I have roughly 12 gallons on the one in my truggy and 8 or so in my buggy ( that's now my back up servo since I'm selling the buggy)......I got tired of hi-tec when I blew 2 of them up in a row just setting the EPA.......but I do have one 5645 that sits as a spare that made it past the setup stage..LOL...it was used for a whopping 1/2 gallon and I replaced it out of sheer disgust from the other 2.......

Most of the newer servo's are coming with heat sinks. I know the higher end airtronics are as well as the HiTec's with Ti gears.

I have the 94358z in my MP777 SP1, Storm Pro, Storm SUT CE and my Storm SUT Pro. All work great. All of them were used except for one and that is in my Storm Pro (which I just finished ). I have a 645 MG for Throttle/Brake in all as that is what I had handy. Work great still. Think I have had all the 645's for quite sometime. I am planning on upgrading to somethiing faster and digital as to work with HRS on my radio. I am cuirous on the KO servos. I have tried their counterparts..JR and loved the 650M. Someone I now has it now on this forum.

IMO Olds.. Spend more to get better quality. They all have warranty. Not sure if they will abide by it if you Plasti-dip them.

I run the Hitec HS-5645MG in my Revo 3.3 and I love it. I also run one in my dads MP777 SP1, never had a problem with either of them, best servo for the money IMO. The one I have in the SP1 I've had for over a year now...

Well... I'm trying another hitec. If this one fries, I'm going elsewhere. Spent a little more $, but it's got better numbers and I think it will work well in my mammoth.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMUS4&P=ML

985MG.

I'll pull the CS-70MG out of the mammoth and throw it in the revo.

I have two 94358's in my racer LST and one in my muggy, I love them.

I also have two JR650's in my basher LST, they are good for the money.

Back