is a 3.5 cc big block a powerful motor?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKord4322

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I got a new truck with a 3.5cc big block and I was wondering if that would put up a good fightIin races

A 3.5 translates to .21 which is a small big block

I could almost hear the needle drag across the record reading this thread!

Alright. Thanks. Its my first truck and I just wanted a little info

Personally I think a .21 in a 1/10 stadium truck is overkill, especially for someone new to nitros.
If you really want to be competitive, sharpen your driving skills and skip the cubic inches.
On the track, a novice driver with a .21 is no match for a skilled driver running a
small block .12 or .15

Personally I think a .21 in a 1/10 stadium truck is overkill, especially for someone new to nitros.
If you really want to be competitive, sharpen your driving skills and skip the cubic inches.
On the track, a novice driver with a .21 is no match for a skilled driver running a
small block .12 or .15

Nonsense! It's fun! lol.

My first rig was an RC10GT Factory team that never saw a small block; Picked up a Picco .21 at the time I purchased it. I later swapped in an OFNA .32, then went with a Losi .26SS, as the .32 was breaking dogbones like crazy.

That said, the engine market today is not what it was 15 years ago. If not racing (ROAR rules are .12 engine for 1/10 off-road), any of the decent .18s out there make for a very quick stadium truck that is still controllable and not breaking parts left and right

I was wondering if that would put up a good fightIin races
If you're talking about backyard racing fun with your friends I say have at it, but a newbie with overpowered truck at a public track spells trouble.
The only thing you'll be fighting is other pissed off drivers angry with you because you can't control your rig. I've seen it time and time again.

Nonsense! It's fun! lol.

My first rig was an RC10GT Factory team that never saw a small block; Picked up a Picco .21 at the time I purchased it. I later swapped in an OFNA .32, then went with a Losi .26SS, as the .32 was breaking dogbones like crazy.

There's good reason why you were breaking dog bones like crazy.
Its overkill.:hehe:
Not only is a big block heavy for the ass end, (ok I suppose if you like landing jumps ass end first), way too much stress on the running gear.

For a newbie, I think it's a bad move. Crawl before you walk and run.

Not only is a big block heavy for the ass end, (ok I suppose if you like landing jumps ass end first), way too much stress on the running gear.

It actually balanced OK with all the steel parts I fabbed for the front end. World's only 7.2 lb RC10GT. lol. Fast, though. We clocked top speed at 62 MPH, and it would flip itself over backwards if you hammered it below ~30-35 MPH.

The dogbones were the only problem area, as I used RRP metal trans gears, an alloy trans case and a Losi steel spur gear.

1/8 scale rear shocks, rear shocks in the front with double springs. 1/4" steel front axles, caster blocks and steering blocks, 6061-T651 arms, GPM alloy arm mounts & bulk heads.

101_1807_zps3a9e5b06.jpg

Last edited:
Back