If you only had 100 dollars.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Undertaker

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
I by no means am getting a 100 dollar car, but if you only had 100 dollars to get a car, what would you get and why. I am always hearing on YouTube about, how much fun you can get for the the price. Just a fun little question. :)

I wouldn't want to use a cheap car up to any major task. If I had only $100, I would personally get an arrma voltage, or an ecx product.

Id put that hundred to good use and turn it into a grand then decide Ok now lets have some fun.This is not a nickel and dime hobby shame on you for making people think that.if you want a cheap Hobby go learn how to play connect the Dots or Mumbly peg(A old knife game)do knife tricks off ones body (while sitting cross legged)to stick it blade 1st in the ground.winner of trick gets 1 hit of wooded stick into the ground play until stick is buried then loser pulls it out with his mouth..LOL fun game lost my fist few games then turned the tide in my favor

Not sure $100 is enough... but I'd lean towards getting small scale from a reputable company that has parts readily available.

For $140, you can get a mini-t:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/1-18-mini-t-20-2wd-rtr--red-white-los01015t1

Then upgrade to brushless later if you want.

For $120, you can get a axial scx24:
https://www.hobbytown.com/axial-scx...-scale-mini-crawler-white-axi00002t1/p1056000

I never had a mini-t, but I have had the micro-t, which I converted to 2.4ghz, then brushless, and is now a micro-high roller. I recently got the scx24 from my wife for my b-day. I thought I'd enjoy it more... but it just made me want to run something I could jump... which isn't it's forte. I'm sure I'll run it more eventually...

I by no means am getting a 100 dollar car, but if you only had 100 dollars to get a car, what would you get and why. I am always hearing on YouTube about, how much fun you can get for the the price. Just a fun little question. :)
I'd buy an old SCT with batts

Something used. Anything at that price new would be basically toy grade.
This ^.

I've tried some of the sub $100 rc cars and they are a step above toy grade but still basically throw away cars, ie you run it until something breaks then throw it in the trash.

No those aren't any better than the WL Toys stuff. I had one of the 1/18 Ruckus and chucked it in the garbage because I didn't feel like spending $200 in upgrades to make it worth driving.

I've heard decent things of the Arrma Voltage series, still has a few issues mainly output cups, i would probably find something used then rebuild as more funds were to come in. kinda what i did with my newer LST, and my wifes MMGT.
if you can step up to 150$ range, tamiya has the TT01 and TT02 models, they also make the TT01 semi truck which i hear is alot of fun.
i hear good things about the WLtoys rigs, personally i wouldnt though as they are borderline toy grade and for the most part without upgrades, proprietary, and the wait time for replacement parts.

I've heard decent things of the Arrma Voltage series, still has a few issues mainly output cups, i would probably find something used then rebuild as more funds were to come in. kinda what i did with my newer LST, and my wifes MMGT.
if you can step up to 150$ range, tamiya has the TT01 and TT02 models, they also make the TT01 semi truck which i hear is alot of fun.
i hear good things about the WLtoys rigs, personally i wouldnt though as they are borderline toy grade and for the most part without upgrades, proprietary, and the wait time for replacement parts.
Actually WL Toys are the cars I was talking about.

I would save a little money and get a Traxxas Bandit for $150.

I have d3 I bought for $100 I love it, I lost my remote so I'm gonna have to get a new one, I also broke the pinion/spur gear. SO if I had a $100 ill do it again or try and get a d4 for $100