if my tmaxx would start i would drive it off a cliff HELP!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bshobes

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
i am having a frustrating problem with my traxxas tmaxx 3.3 with ez start .
the ez start i have is the box with the red button and red led light ....i installed a new ignition wire and a new glow plug .... fully charged battery ...but it wont start ..... i took the glowplug out put the wire on it and touched it to the motor head to see if it would glow .... the led comes on but the glowplug is not glowing :angry: .......i hooked up my voltmeter to it the pos+ lead to the blue ignition wire and the neg- lead to the motor (ground) it showed 2.20v ...... why is my truck not starting? please help !!!!

sounds like a new glowplug might be in order. Also ditch the blue wire in favor of a standalone igniter.

Scrapping the entire EZ start is a good - well start for an easier starting rig IMO. Utilizing the standalone ignightor like joshman suggested will give you less frustrations and scrapping the entire starter system will make your rig faster because it will be lighter. It will probably go farther when you drive it off that cliff!!!:)

from what you are describing it sounds like you have a bad glowplug

Check the yellow ground wire from the harness to the engine mount. If not attached or if its broken the circut is not complete and the plug will not glow with the cheezy start system.

Check the yellow ground wire from the harness to the engine mount. If not attached or if its broken the circut is not complete and the plug will not glow with the cheezy start system.

the wire is connected and the led light comes on when i push the button

If everything is connected and the plug still does not glow when you ground it against the engine head the circuitry in the cheesy start may be at fault. (They have a tendency to fail, especially the early system like you have).
If you intend to stay in the nitro side of the hobby a glow igniter is one of the 1st things you should invest in.

You can never have too many glow igniters. I could probably dig out a couple more if I looked hard enough;).
DSC08079.gif

If everything is connected and the plug still does not glow when you ground it against the engine head the circuitry in the cheesy start may be at fault. (They have a tendency to fail, especially the early system like you have).
If you intend to stay in the nitro side of the hobby a glow igniter is one of the 1st things you should invest in.

You can never have too many glow igniters. I could probably dig out a couple more if I looked hard enough;).
DSC08079.gif

which one is better the standard AA battery type or the 1.2v rechargeable?

Last edited:
i use a racers edge rechargeable and it works great, has a meter on the end of it that tells you if your glow plug is dead !

but will the AA type work just as good? you will just have to change the battery often right? i just want the cheaper option ...... have to keep the wife happy

Last edited:
but will the AA type work just as good? you will just have to change the battery often right? i just want the cheaper option ...... have to keep the wife happy

yes they will work. most of the ones i have seen run on one c battery

Just remind her that spending a little more up front will save more later on.

definatly get a hot start ignitor. I converted my rustler to pull start and was very happy with the improved performance.

LIE, LIE, LIE!!! In all seriousness remember - You get what you pay for. The difference between the 2 is maybe $10 but the quality between the 2 - Night and Day!

Back