I need help with my tmaxx 3.3

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brody hawk

RC Newbie
Reaction score
My tmaxx 3.3 has an issue with the truck getting stuck in 2nd gear and then bogs hard to get going and then it got up to 650 degrees. I don't know what is wrong if any one knows I would like to know.

650 degrees?!?!. Are you sure? Probably if it got to 650 degrees you probably have more issues then sticking in second gear now. Maybe the clutch Was not working right and causing it to work alot harder and get super hot. Been a while since I worked on a max but if your able I would check the clutch Bell area first. If it still runs that is.

650 degrees?!?!. Are you sure? Probably if it got to 650 degrees you probably have more issues then sticking in second gear now. Maybe the clutch Was not working right and causing it to work alot harder and get super hot. Been a while since I worked on a max but if your able I would check the clutch Bell area first. If it still runs that is.
Thanks for the help.
Thanks for the help I will look at the clutch

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the help I will look at the clutch
Wow, that’s very, very hot. The clutch will most likely be toast. Also try the brakes and see if they are binding up or seized. If the clutch is gone then replace it with a reds Quattro clutch if you would like to spend 50 quid for one.

Wow, that’s very, very hot. The clutch will most likely be toast. Also try the brakes and see if they are binding up or seized. If the clutch is gone then replace it with a reds Quattro clutch if you would like to spend 50 quid for one.
They make a 1/10th sized clutch? A 1/8th clutch won't fit on a t-maxx/revo without moving the transmission forward and getting a crank shaft extension.

They make a 1/10th sized clutch? A 1/8th clutch won't fit on a t-maxx/revo without moving the transmission forward and getting a crank shaft extension.
The REVO and the tmaxx is an 1/8th scale no? Pretty sure a 1/10 scale clutch is the same as an 1/8 scale one.

Some do interchange ,however ,one would have to watch out for the differences like sizes of the width of the bell .pitch
of the gear ,an how many teeth it has ,Traxxas uses a different pitch gears!...:cool:

Some do interchange ,however ,one would have to watch out for the differences like sizes of the width of the bell .pitch
of the gear ,an how many teeth it has ,Traxxas uses a different pitch gears!...:cool:
Oh that’s a bit stupid from traxxas. That’s why I don’t have a single car from them.

Oh that’s a bit stupid from traxxas. That’s why I don’t have a single car from them.

I imagine ,one could change the spur & bell if they experiment with them ,but some of those vehicles dont have no
room for change ,even their sizes are a bit odd from 1/10 to 1/8 ,I think!

1/10th bells/flywheels/shoes are thinner than 1/8th. Traxxas uses the same 1/10 2 shoe clutch in all their nitro trucks I've had. Jato 2.5, t-maxx 2.5, revo 2.5 and revo 3.3.

On my big block revo, I converted it to use a 1/8th sized clutch and used a flywheel/bell/shoes off a savage, which I later also changed from HPI teflon shoes to 7075 alloy. I had to move the transmission forward 1/4" so it would fit.

I'd do the same on my second revo with an OS21TM in it, but I'd need to get a crankshaft extension and give up my MIP center cvd's so I could move the trans. My big block uses traxxas plastic sliders for the center and they hold up ok.

This is from way back on my first revo when I had a 18Tm in it and had the crank extension before I moved the transmission to show how much it needs moved:
2006-0522-RevoSavageClutchMoveTrans.jpg

I had to grind the chassis to give it room to move forward, elongate the 4 trans mounting holes and once I had it where it needed to be, I drilled 2 3mm holes and put bolts/nuts through the transmission flange to key it to that spot. I didn't want it moving around.
2006-0526-RevoSavageClutchTransBottom.jpg

Some guys didn't do that and just relied on friction to hold the trans. It was a bit of a pain to do. The center axles had enough material that you could do that without having to get creative with the center axles. The front would compress and the rear would extend.

Again, that was also just an HPI savage 3-shoe flywheel/shoes/bell. I kept cooking the spring in the traxxas 2 shoe, so I went that route, then never had an issue again.

In my 21TM revo with the 1/10th clutch still in it, I replaced the shoes with dynamite max life aluminum, which are hard to find now. They have held up really well. Actually just finished a bash session today with it. :)

Last edited: