I need help with a second hand nitro rc

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

florin stanciu

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello guys, i have a problem with a nitro hpi trophy, as soon as I started the engine the car takes off, no matter the rpm the car has always traction even when the idle is about to die, I've tried putting i brand new clutch, clutch bell and bearings, but it's the same, what can cause that? Please please give me something

Hello guys, i have a problem with a nitro hpi trophy, as soon as I started the engine the car takes off, no matter the rpm the car has always traction even when the idle is about to die, I've tried putting i brand new clutch, clutch bell and bearings, but it's the same, what can cause that? Please please give me something
Using the wrong springs could cause that. If the springs are too soft for that particular engine then they could be allowing the clutch shoes to expand even at idle. Someone else here just recently had that problem and thats what his issue ended up being. If the springs are factory replacements for the kit then try getting some and see what happens.

Welcome to RCT btw :welcome_sign:

Folosirea unor arcuri greșite ar putea cauza asta. Dacă arcurile sunt prea moi pentru acel motor anume, atunci el ar putea permite saboților de ambreiaj să se extindă chiar și la ralanti. Altcineva de aici a avut recent această problemă și asta a ajuns să fie problema lui. Dacă arcuri sunt înlocuitoare din fabrică pentru kit, atunci încercați să obțineți unele și să vedeți ce se întâmplă.

Bine ați venit

Folosirea unor arcuri greșite ar putea cauza asta. Dacă arcurile sunt prea moi pentru acel motor anume, atunci ele ar putea permite saboților de ambreiaj să se extindă chiar și la ralanti. Altcineva de aici a avut recent această problemă și asta a ajuns să fie problema lui. Dacă arcurile sunt înlocuitoare din fabrică pentru kit, atunci încercați să obțineți unele și vedeți ce se întâmplă.

Bine ați venit la RCT btw:welcome_sign:
Hey, i really appreciate your time you spent answering me, but i bought this specific kit from hpi for my engine, the new spring it's much much stronger than the old burned one

Hey, i really appreciate your time you spent answering me, but i bought this specific kit from hpi for my engine, the new spring it's much much stronger than the old burned one
Check and make sure your throttle trim in set to neutral?

Verificați și asigurați-vă că reglajul clapetei de accelerație este setat pe neutru?
Yes I've checked it, and i tried riching it as much as possible to keep a low rpm bu the wheels are spinning until it dies
Can you post a photo of the clutch installed on the flywheel?

Is this your first nitro? Your only nitro?
I will post tomorrow morning, no this is not my first nitro and not my only one, none of them did that until now and it's driving me crazy... :(

Is the clutch bell shimmed out properly? It could be contacting the edge of the clutch facing the teeth of the bell housing. I'd bet your not shimmed right.

Yes I've checked it, and i tried riching it as much as possible to keep a low rpm bu the wheels are spinning until it dies

I will post tomorrow morning, no this is not my first nitro and not my only one, none of them did that until now and it's driving me crazy... :(
Try adjusting the idle with the idle gap instead of the low-speed needle, it's possible the idle gap is too large and this is adding to the problem.

The bearings for the clutch bell might also be shot, did you change those too?

When the engine is off, does the clutch bell spin freely? Ideally, the whole drivetrain should coast / spin for a few seconds if you push the car along the ground and pick it up. That'll start to show you where the motion is coming from.

Noroc!

Try adjusting the idle with the idle gap instead of the low-speed needle, it's possible the idle gap is too large and this is adding to the problem.

The bearings for the clutch bell might also be shot, did you change those too?

When the engine is off, does the clutch bell spin freely? Ideally, the whole drivetrain should coast / spin for a few seconds if you push the car along the ground and pick it up. That'll start to show you where the motion is coming from.

Noroc!
I've mentioned up above that i lower the rpm's until it dies (from the idle gap and low speed needle) and yes it does spins freely when the engine is off and the kit comes with new clutch shoes and spring, clutch bell, bearings, and washers...thank you all guys for trying to help me !!!!!! You really are amazing i never thought somebody will reply me

It could also be the screw that hold the clutch bell in is too tight. You may want to use some thread lock and not tightened too much and wait for the thread lock to cure.

When you spin the clutch bell with your finger, does it spin freely for a few seconds or there is resistance to it?
If it spins freely, either your clutch shoes spring is too weak, or your definition of low RPM is still too high for idle speed.
Hope that makes sense.

When you spin the clutch bell with your finger, does it spin freely for a few seconds or there is resistance to it?
If it spins freely, either your clutch shoes spring is too weak, or your definition of low RPM is still too high for idle speed.
Hope that makes sense.
He stated above that he bought a clutch spring/shoe kit specifically for his kit so I'm assuming its not weak clutch springs?

Either way he has to take it back apart, something went wrong with the clutch sonmewhere.....

Just like Alfred said ,it is possible to pinch the clutch bell bearings with the screw if the bell isnt
shimmed right an your not using the right washer on the screw ,I've done it many times!..:thumbs-up:

I've seen many people not installing the springs correctly. I'm not saying you installed them wrong at all.
You do have the springs tensioned on the flywheel nut?
Another thing
Sometimes people who don't have the springs tool, hyperflex the springs when using a screwdriver to flip the springs into the flywheel nut. I.e over spreading the spring.
This could weaken the springs tension and too weak of springs will allow the shoes to spread open at low rpm.
I use a screwdriver many moons ago when I was a kid, I had weakened many springs that way.
I still use a screwdriver now after years, I do it a certain way that my springs are so tight the shoes won't open fully so I have to hyperflex each shoe too weaken the springs.
The actual tool for springs actually hyperflex the springs to the correct flex point to allow the shoes to fully spread and engage properly.
Lol but I like doing it my way, this way I can adjust the tension my self.

Last edited:
Either your spring is broken or is too big for the clutch I was just fight a new clutch it's not that much money
Either your spring is broken or is too big for the clutch I was just fight a new clutch it's not that much money
Sorry the message came wrong buy a new clutch

You must have put the clutch shoes backwards