I feel 10 years old again

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bristar

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
After much consideration, and much advice from you knowledgable guys I have finally gone a done it...

I bought myself a Revo today, Oh boy Oh boy Oh boy...

This bad boy is something else, :banana: I feel like a little kid again..

After admiring the beast for about 30 mins and after giving the battery a bit of a charge i set about getting my beast to work..

LOL, It took me at least an hour to get the engine to turn over, I am already an expert in clearing a flooded engine, as i thought i was flooding it all the time as the damn thing wouldn't start...

Eventually after going through the start up proceedure about 7-8 times I realised i must be doing something else wrong... It turned out my mistake was a very simple one, I hadn't put enough fuel in the tank, i though i'd filled it up to the neck as instructed but i had only filled it about 3/4 of the way up... DOh...

Once i topped up the fuel tank it started immediatly.... YAY .. success..

I have only done tank 1 of the run in procedure before darkness prevailed and i had to pack up for the day, went through the after run process...

Question on after run process if i may...Q: i have purchased some after run oil.... my manual states i should spray wd40 into the glow plug well, My Hobbie shop reccomended the after run oil instead but neglected to inform me how to use this... I have for now just put a couple of drops into the glow plug well and then turned the truck upside down and used the electric starter to turn over the engine for 10secs then repaeted this process two more times..... IS THIS CORRECT...

Anyways i am so so so so pleased with my truck, can't wait to got out tomorrow and finish of running in that bad boy...

Thanks for all your help so far guys and i look forward to posting you some more in the future..#

One Happy Mo'Fo

Brian
:wasted:

Congrats!

Put ARF in the GP hole and a couple of drops down the opened carb throat. Make sure you turn over the motor a few times to get it all over the moving parts. I actually use just WD 40 since, one, it is easier, and two, I run my engines a lot. Arguments go both ways on this.

Also, after each engine run, make sure the piston is at BDC. Do this everytime and you significantly extend engine life.

Other than that, just follow the Traxxas break in procedure exactly and enjoy it for a few weeks. You should not break anything early on with a Revo, but if you do or get the itch for an upgrade, ring us up!

BTW, where are you located?

I'm located in Birmingham, england...

What does BDC mean?? sorry completely new to this hobbie

Cheers

Brian

Brian,
your procedure for using ARO is ok but i dont see the need for doing it 3 times nor the reason for turning it upside down just to turn it over ,4 or 5 drops of down the plug hole and let settle for a few secs the hit the starter
and remeber to put your piston at the bottom of the stroke too before it cools off after running it so as to help it cool equally

BDC means bottom dead center ,
it is the where the piston is at the bottom of the crankcase and not all the way up in the sleeve

BDC=Bottom dead center (meaning the piston at the lowest point in the cylinder)

Congrats on the revo!!

as far as the after run oil, I usually put 2 drops in top of the cylinder, and then 2 down the carb throat. Then I turn it over a couple times. Then I actually put 2 more drops in the top of the cylinder head. I dont get to run my as often as I want, so I figured a little extra wont hurt, and it hasnt let me down yet. Good luck with the Revo, and welcome to the boards!

Cheers Guys,, Thank god i'm not doing anything wrong... Will stop the upside down thing then...

One more question has just sprung to mind....

When i purchased my Revo today i asked the sales guy for a failsafe...

He stated that there have been issues regarding using a failsafe with the revo as sometimes the Optidrive doesn't like it..

has anyone got a workaround for this as i don't really fancy running my truck without the failsafe option..

???

One of the best failsafes is a strong spring that will close the throttle if the batteries die. Other then that I'm not aware of anything in particular with the revo and a failsafe but I have used the Venom Racing one and the Ofna mini and both can get a little glitchy (makes the throttle or steering servos twitch) if you have any metal to metal contacts causing interference.

Some of the early Venom FS's were incompatible, but I think they have the issues resolved. I use the OFNA (Hobao) mini one with no problems.

ok guys...

BDC.. bottom dead centre, i undertand what you mean here but am not sure how i achieve this.... Sorry i may be being rather thick here but I cannot see how i can achieve this..

Please can u let me know what i do to achieve BDC...???

Thanks

BTW....
All 5 tanks of the run in procedure completed today....
Had to move location as the speed increase at tanks 4 and 5 meant we did not have enough space to complete 3 and 5 sec runs... LOL how chuffin fast is this car and i aint even tuned it yet..

I am so so so impressed with this car guys... thanks all for your advice i am so so happy with my purchase..

Can't wait to get it tuned up now and really let rip...

Brian

just turn over the flywheel by hand, until the piston is at its lowest point in the mill. An easier way is to mark the flywheel with a marker at a point when it is BDC and you will know exactly when it is there.

I seem to recall on this forum people were saying you didn't have to put ARO down the glow plug hole and that was just another way to get excess crud in there and damage your engine. I stopped putting it down the hole almost right after I broke in the engine on my t maxx... I just load it down the carb and turn the engine over and repeat a few times. I hope this is also an acceptable method or I'm messing up my engine!:ponder2:

Bdc

OK Aj ty for that, but .......

I am a complete novice here, i am so sorry to be causing you more work...

I can see the flywheel, i can move it but how do i see the piston and which position it's in... ??

God i'm thick

brian

Visual inspection. Take out the glow plug and shine a torch down the hole and you can see when the piston is at BDC.

easy method: roll flywheel til you feel the loose part of the rotation....

as long as the piston is sliding "loosely" in the sleeve you're good....you just want to avoid letting the piston stay at the top when it's cooling......good practice to keep is ALWAYS check the flywheel whenever you pick up your car.....it will save you alot of premature engine wear.....

Or, just use an object such as an antenna tube (make sure the tip of it is clean). Remove your glow plug, and rest the object on top of your piston. Rotate the flywheel until the object is at its lowest position. Mark the flywheel in such a way that you can easily move the motor back to this position each and every time you turn your engine off, for the entire life of your engine.

neobart said:
Visual inspection. Take out the glow plug and shine a torch down the hole and you can see when the piston is at BDC.

not a real torch, as you will blow your self up

:jk:

I've been keeping an eye on this thread and I'm glad I did. I was wondering how you find BDC. Cool. Marking the flywheel is smart.
Thanks. Yeah...watch that torch, dude.lol

That is a great idea!!! I always took out the plug and turned the flywheel till BDC.I'm going to mark all mine know!!!

GruberRacing97 said:
That is a great idea!!! I always took out the plug and turned the flywheel till BDC.I'm going to mark all mine know!!!

If you didn't think of marking your flywheels, you are simply not lazy enough. Eat more fattening foods, and consume more drugs and alcohol. That will remedy that pesky ambition that motivates, and causes you to do everything the hard and honest way.

Oh, and don't forget, that if you remove your flywheel, you either have to put it back on exactly how you took it off, or make a new mark for BDC.

Eventaully you will be able to feel for it. I never mark mine anymore. I just mark it for break in and once the mill is done with BI usually by then the Sharpie mark has disappeared.