I am trying to get a nitro monster truck for the first time

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Animeweeb

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Scale Builder
hey guys what would you think i should get for a nitro monster truck because i have a few options T maxx 3.3 Kyosho USA-1 or T maxx Classic i want one that is a little bit more starter friendly and needs smaller work because i play Electrics but this is my first time buying my own nitro i have played with one nitro before but thats mostly it i just want a durable Monster truck

Id probably go for the TMAXX 3.3 or a REVO 3.3. The USA-1 re-release doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere. Even Kyoshos website is out of stock.
Thanks bro i was gonna lean towrds the T maxx 3.3 because it looks like the usa-1 is taking very long time

i would look into maybe the HPI savage, with HPI getting back on their feet they have re-released it and are making parts again for them. there is high demand at the moment so get sold out semi quickly, but they seem to be starting to catch up to the demand.

i would look into maybe the HPI savage, with HPI getting back on their feet they have re-released it and are making parts again for them. there is high demand at the moment so get sold out semi quickly, but they seem to be starting to catch up to the demand.
Savages have a well deserved reputation for being tough :)

hey guys what would you think i should get for a nitro monster truck because i have a few options T maxx 3.3 Kyosho USA-1 or T maxx Classic i want one that is a little bit more starter friendly and needs smaller work because i play Electrics but this is my first time buying my own nitro i have played with one nitro before but thats mostly it i just want a durable Monster truck
I absolutely love the USA-1 and recently had a chance to purchase a used one that needed some love. I ended up passing on it as parts are nearly impossible to fine.

The classic Traxxas T-Maxx would probably fair better in terms of parts, but if it was me I'd probably go with the Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3. It's a newer version and parts should be very easy to find. Plus upgrade parts are pretty much everywhere as well.

The new USA-1 is a solid axle truck and very different from the original, and very different from a T-Maxx or Savage. T-Maxx's are great because there's a ton of aftermarket support, and they are amazing performers for racing. Even better racer would be the Revo. The Savage is back(I think) and is probably the best basher of them(I haven't owned one, going on reputation - I do plan on owning one though :) ). As far as what's easier to work on, that's a tough call. I own a pair of Mad Crushers - which are basically the same truck as the new USA-1, and a pair of T-Maxx's. The Kyosho's are generally less complex of a design, being solid axle, but the engine is definitely better than the Traxxas in terms of holding tune and durability.

Of course it's somewhat of a moot point as Kyosho hasn't shipped the USA-1 as of yet - I believe it's scheduled for July.

I've not owned all those kits but my gut tells me the T-Maxx is probably the easiest to work on

I'm thinking about getting a nitro as well, and I have my eyes on the Revo 3.3 (2-speed, reverse, cantilever suspension, rear exit exhaust, good parts support). My second choice(s) would be one of the T-Maxxes. The Classic comes with a TRX 2.5 engine (more beginner-friendly compared to the 3.3), shorter wheelbase, etc. The 3.3 version has a longer wheelbase, different transmission, and a lot of other upgrades over the Classic, but it does not have reverse. If you run in an open field, reverse most likely would not be of much use. The reason I like Traxxas nitros so much is their parts/aftermarket support, and overall design.

I've not owned all those kits but my gut tells me the T-Maxx is probably the easiest to work on
that sounds great because i am looking for one that is easy to work with

The new USA-1 is a solid axle truck and very different from the original, and very different from a T-Maxx or Savage. T-Maxx's are great because there's a ton of aftermarket support, and they are amazing performers for racing. Even better racer would be the Revo. The Savage is back(I think) and is probably the best basher of them(I haven't owned one, going on reputation - I do plan on owning one though :) ). As far as what's easier to work on, that's a tough call. I own a pair of Mad Crushers - which are basically the same truck as the new USA-1, and a pair of T-Maxx's. The Kyosho's are generally less complex of a design, being solid axle, but the engine is definitely better than the Traxxas in terms of holding tune and durability.

Of course it's somewhat of a moot point as Kyosho hasn't shipped the USA-1 as of yet - I believe it's scheduled for July.
yeah i heard that the mad crusher is a great monster truck but do you know who makes the kyosho engines or kyosho makes it themselves?

I absolutely love the USA-1 and recently had a chance to purchase a used one that needed some love. I ended up passing on it as parts are nearly impossible to fine.

The classic Traxxas T-Maxx would probably fair better in terms of parts, but if it was me I'd probably go with the Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3. It's a newer version and parts should be very easy to find. Plus upgrade parts are pretty much everywhere as well.
thanks for the advice kyosho parts are fairly hard to get even the cars they have now it takes around 3-4 months just for them to be in stock

Savages have a well deserved reputation for being tough :)
yeah i was thinking about Hpi but i can't seem to find them non of my local hobby shops carry hpi

Hpi savage is very cool but i can't seem to find them anywhere

I'm thinking about getting a nitro as well, and I have my eyes on the Revo 3.3 (2-speed, reverse, cantilever suspension, rear exit exhaust, good parts support). My second choice(s) would be one of the T-Maxxes. The Classic comes with a TRX 2.5 engine (more beginner-friendly compared to the 3.3), shorter wheelbase, etc. The 3.3 version has a longer wheelbase, different transmission, and a lot of other upgrades over the Classic, but it does not have reverse. If you run in an open field, reverse most likely would not be of much use. The reason I like Traxxas nitros so much is their parts/aftermarket support, and overall design.
from what i heard the Revo is great but harder to work on

also what would you rate the T maxx 3.3 durablity on the engine and the kyosho engine rating

from what i heard the Revo is great but harder to work on
Yes, the Revo is harder to work on (mainly from the cantilever suspension), but the power train/engine are the same, so if you have previous experience working on RCs, it won't be much harder. Choose whichever you like better.

also what would you rate the T maxx 3.3 durablity on the engine and the kyosho engine rating

The Traxxas 3.3 engine has a reputation for connecting rod breakage and carbs being tricky. I've only had a 2.5, and it is still alive and well, but I eventually replaced it with a Dynamite .19 as a performance upgrade. My 2.5 is my "backup" engine. I didn't have many issues with it, though it was a little harder to get tuned than the Dynamite which seems to be happy and snappy without much needle turning needed.

The Kyosho engines are really good, good power, holds a tune. Again though, mine was relegated to "backup" status because I went for a much more powerful SH .28 p8.

The Traxxas 3.3 engine has a reputation for connecting rod breakage and carbs being tricky. I've only had a 2.5, and it is still alive and well, but I eventually replaced it with a Dynamite .19 as a performance upgrade. My 2.5 is my "backup" engine. I didn't have many issues with it, though it was a little harder to get tuned than the Dynamite which seems to be happy and snappy without much needle turning needed.

The Kyosho engines are really good, good power, holds a tune. Again though, mine was relegated to "backup" status because I went for a much more powerful SH .28 p8.
thanks for the info now i am gonna think about which one i should get T maxx or the usa-1 i saw a video saying nitro cars are going up in prices he mentioned something about the savage going up in price and said that traxxas and losi i have seen losi nitro buggy and truggy go up by 70 bucks

Everything's going up. I just saw glow plugs are now like $10-12 a pop. You used to be able to get em all day long for $5-6 and sometimes for $3-4 on sale.

Everything's going up. I just saw glow plugs are now like $10-12 a pop. You used to be able to get em all day long for $5-6 and sometimes for $3-4 on sale.
it really is all the car prices are going up too and the air filters

RC exploded in popularity over the past year, it's not surprising. Also, there was a supply chain shortage that is creating this market, that hopefully should return somewhat to normal.

RC exploded in popularity over the past year, it's not surprising. Also, there was a supply chain shortage that is creating this market, that hopefully should return somewhat to normal.
yeah i been seeing more people with rc lately nitro and electric