Hydrogen RC car in the news.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's crazy cool. But I wonder if the oil industry is going to kill these guys off that created this one too? 😜

The idea will kill itself because presently, you get hydrogen by using lots of electricity to separate water into O2 and H2.

Perhaps someday, someone will figure out an efficient way to produce H2.

But they could send all the waste byproduct (water) to California! 🤣

I'm thinking of filling my gas tank with water and Oxyclean....should work right?

The idea will kill itself because presently, you get hydrogen by using lots of electricity to separate water into O2 and H2.

Hmmm I wonder how inefficient that process is exactly? I wonder because the Hydrogen fuel cells themselves (at least PEM cells) are 2-3 times more efficient at turning a chemical reaction into usable power for a car comapred to converting gasoline. I wonder what the offset is like.

But they could send all the waste byproduct (water) to California! 🤣

I'm thinking of filling my gas tank with water and Oxyclean....should work right?
Here in florida they dump it. Down the drain into tap water, into a sinkhole pond in our natural drinking water, or on our beaches as the red tide.

Here in florida they dump it. Down the drain into tap water, into a sinkhole pond in our natural drinking water, or on our beaches as the red tide.
That is terrible! Here in Indiana we only have to worry about runnoff from all the farmland making it into our drinking water. We have the whole "kill em all with cancer" thing down to a science here in the cancer belt of the world 😉

Porsche and some other companies have been on that for a few years now - but they are focused more on hydrogen replacement for gasoline rather than HEV's. I believe that they are debuting their fuel this Spring in some racing series, and that they are breaking ground on fuel plants as I type this, or sometime in the near future. Supposedly they've made the process efficient enough to get the cost down to roughly double that of gasoline.

Porsche and some other companies have been on that for a few years now - but they are focused more on hydrogen replacement for gasoline rather than HEV's. I believe that they are debuting their fuel this Spring in some racing series, and that they are breaking ground on fuel plants as I type this, or sometime in the near future. Supposedly they've made the process efficient enough to get the cost down to roughly double that of gasoline.
Sadly, just like E85 was supposed to be sooooo much better and cheaper to produce, even if they get the cost down well below gasoline and make it a consumer available product, it will still be ridiculously expensive.

Take vape juice for example. It costs me between $.75 - $2.00 to produce a 30ml bottle of ejuice, and that is counting the bottle itself. Imagine how cheap it is for a vape juice company to make, buying the ingredients by the barrel. Now that the government has taken control of it, it costs $10 - $25 to buy a bottle over the counter. Our state charges $4.00/bottle tax on it.

So any new thing that replaces a current thing the gov makes money on will never be cheap enough for Joe Schmoe to justify the switch.

Sadly, just like E85 was supposed to be sooooo much better and cheaper to produce, even if they get the cost down well below gasoline and make it a consumer available product, it will still be ridiculously expensive.

Take vape juice for example. It costs me between $.75 - $2.00 to produce a 30ml bottle of ejuice, and that is counting the bottle itself. Imagine how cheap it is for a vape juice company to make, buying the ingredients by the barrel. Now that the government has taken control of it, it costs $10 - $25 to buy a bottle over the counter. Our state charges $4.00/bottle tax on it.

So any new thing that replaces a current thing the gov makes money on will never be cheap enough for Joe Schmoe to justify the switch.

Yeah, essentially the goverments are always gonna dip their fingers into the pie, if not outright have people invested in whatever power sources there are. If EV's ever take off in a non-mandated way(i.e, the market drives it without mandates or payouts), we are going to get screwed royally on our electric bills. I'm sure the government will somehow justify it :D