HPI Nitro MT1 engine swap

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitbull14218

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi everyone, so my hpi Nitro mt1s nitrostar .15fe engine is tired, the time has come to replace it.

I bought a used Team Orion crf 3-port .21 engine I’m hoping is in good running order, in order to install it.

A couple challenges along the way are going from a rotary carb to a slide carb.

Also engine mount.

Anyone ever do this? Any recommendations on engine mounts? The g3.0 engine mount is discontinued, can’t find it. Not sure if there’s anything else I can use to mount the engine.

Any recommendations with the linkage?

Attachments

• 413FD77B-D332-4B65-B7FB-81490655C496.png
    413FD77B-D332-4B65-B7FB-81490655C496.png
    723.4 KB · Views: 451
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 749
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 523
Not sure how your going to shoehorn a big block into that thing. From what I recall, it was pretty tight behind the engine and a big block is 3/4 inch longer and the header comes out of the back which adds more room to be needed. Also, the spur is very brittle. I went through so many of those stupid things in my NMT many years ago. I eventually gave up and just sold it.

As for linkage, I found this the other day when replying to a guy in another thread wanting to put a trx 3.3 in his older HPI:
SU6dA5y.jpg

Appears that amain still has the Nitro Star G3.0 (.18), fairly cheap too:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/hpi-nitro-star-g3.0-engine-w-pull-start-hpi15105/p55855

These should fit the hpi 3.0 engine, but you may need to make new holes in the chassis:
https://www.rcplanet.com/engines/en...l-block-engine-mount-purple-aluminum-red02128

So I got the engine I bought from ebay. My glow plugs won’t screw into the head, not sure if it’s stripped out some how or if the Team Orion CRF .21 3-port needs a special glow plug?

I’d also like to convert this engine to pull start since it’s currently setup for a starter box.

Looks like it might use turbo plugs, which are tapered at the tip vs standard plugs. NOt sure you can convert that to a pull start... also, looks like there are 3 versions of the 3 port, each have a differing crankshaft, so kind of hard to tell if any are capable of using a pull start. Can't really even find a pull start for that engine at all.

Oh, I didn’t realize turbo plugs are different.

Do turbo plugs only fit certain engines?

If I have to do bump stop, I suppose I will.

Yes. Turbo plugs fit turbo head/head button engines. Standard plugs do not.

Turbo on the far right, the left 2 columns are a mix of standard long and standard plugs. Standard plugs use a copper washer to seal. Turbo plugs use the tapered tip of the plug to seal.
glow-plug-chart.jpg

And I think turbo plugs are larger diameter thread.

If I can't find a pull start, do I need a different flywheel in order to use a starter box, or can I use my original one?