How to make electrics fun?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pug

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
I'm really considering going mostly nitro and 1/5 gas once I have a job, electric is just empty feeling, you don't get the same feeling as having an internal combustion engine running well. What could I do with my electric stuff to make it somewhat fun?

I'm really considering going mostly nitro and 1/5 gas once I have a job, electric is just empty feeling, you don't get the same feeling as having an internal combustion engine running well. What could I do with my electric stuff to make it somewhat fun?
Club race

Put a sound module on them 😜
My slash had the on board audio module and speakers on it back in 2015. I guess water got into the speakers and they weren't working anymore so I just threw it away. Traxxas doesn't even offer the on-board audio any more. I think I found the module on ebay but I think it wasn't worth it for 75 dollars.
Maybe, but electric kits cost a ton and I only have bashers. I could possibly race my Slash but it’s way too fragile to do anything.
Agreed. The slash is way too fragile. Every time I go to the track I am back off the track within 5 mins for something. On black friday Amain had a yokomo 2wd buggy for $276. They are selling the associated B6.3 for $315 I believe. I got my associated B74.1 for $300 for my birthday. And possibly you can go on facebook market place and find a roller for less than the kit price. I saw a xray xb4 roller for 315 with a lot of optional parts.
Also for racing the losi mini b/t maybe a good option if your local track races them. They are pretty fun but you definitely need a brushless system in it and a better servo for racing.

Go to @Addict Rc house and dodge mail boxes. :D

Go to @Addict Rc house and dodge mail boxes. :D
For me I usually run into the stop sign on my street and hit the curb. The curb is more like my dad tho. He ran into the curb and snapped a turnbuckle in half. He also ran into a pole in the tennis court too. Or was that me I can't remember. :D Sometimes I run into the fence too. Well I run into the fence and then flip since our fence is on a slight hill.
Another idea is get a ramp. The ramp I have is wood and is about 7 inches off the ground. It is just a straight ramp not curved. Curved would be better for back flips. Or what I would do is get about 2 to 4 ramps and set up in a base ball diamond and race / practice laps around the diamond. Thats what I plan to do in the summer with my slash/rustler and b74.

Last edited:
I get the whole love of nitro. But for me, electric RC's are just as much fun. They have immediate torque, and way more power than nitros do.

My Jato, for example, is only fun in straight line running. And that's because at speeds slow enough to corner, it simply has no power compared to electric RC's. Not until it gets up in its power band does it come alive. It'll do 70mph, and it's a blast in big open parking lots. But put it on a track, in a grass field, or anything other than wide open spaces, and I'd choose an electric RC over it. Sure, I could swap the pinion for something allowing it to hit its power band sooner. But it's not really designed for that stuff anyway.

I tried racing a few buggies on a track with it once, and they were lapping me before I made my second lap. And yes, I completely understand the Jato was out of it's element. But like I said, that element is limited to wide open spaces. Not many RC vehicles are so limited, except on-road cars.

Granted, I don't have experience with many other nitro cars, but I did drive a nitro Slash. It was pretty much the same for me, but it was geared a little lower, so it was able to handle corners and such better. But if I had an electric buggy, I would have been running circles around that Slash.

That's just me though. One of these days I'll fire up our nitro Mad Crusher and take it for a spin. Maybe that will change my mind, but I seriously doubt it.

One of these days I'll fire up our nitro Mad Crusher and take it for a spin. Maybe that will change my mind, but I seriously doubt it.

Speaking as a Mad Crusher owner, those things are a blast to drive. Even with the stock KE25 engine, it's got a lot of low end grunt, and the 3 speed trans is a big equalizer when it comes to top end. It's not a track truck, but it's definitely a lot of fun on a track or racing around a ballfield. It's not a 6s Kraton, but it'll run over a Granite.

I get the whole love of nitro. But for me, electric RC's are just as much fun. They have immediate torque, and way more power than nitros do.

My Jato, for example, is only fun in straight line running. And that's because at speeds slow enough to corner, it simply has no power compared to electric RC's. Not until it gets up in its power band does it come alive. It'll do 70mph, and it's a blast in big open parking lots. But put it on a track, in a grass field, or anything other than wide open spaces, and I'd choose an electric RC over it. Sure, I could swap the pinion for something allowing it to hit its power band sooner. But it's not really designed for that stuff anyway.

I tried racing a few buggies on a track with it once, and they were lapping me before I made my second lap. And yes, I completely understand the Jato was out of it's element. But like I said, that element is limited to wide open spaces. Not many RC vehicles are so limited, except on-road cars.

Granted, I don't have experience with many other nitro cars, but I did drive a nitro Slash. It was pretty much the same for me, but it was geared a little lower, so it was able to handle corners and such better. But if I had an electric buggy, I would have been running circles around that Slash.

That's just me though. One of these days I'll fire up our nitro Mad Crusher and take it for a spin. Maybe that will change my mind, but I seriously doubt it.
My OFNA Ravager has all of the torque I need, it accelerates really quickly to 50 mph. It tears up the grass if i slam the throttle. I have no idea what’s up with the Force .28 in it.

If you're not in to the instant raw torque and power of brushless electrics then you'll probably never be in to electrics. Other than that and them being less "fussy" than nitros theres nothing else really about them thats better than nitro/gas

I run nitro and electric...I enjoy them both equally for different reasons. just depends on what kind of mood I'm in that decides witch kind I run on any given day

I'm glad there are options. I wouldn't trade my E-Maxx for another nitro T-Maxx... I don't miss the oily residue all over the truck, needing a starter, fuel bottle, etc.

Back