How to build self, a great RC Workbench ? Ideas ? Pictures please

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rccar4life

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Flying
  5. Boating
My current workbench suck.
It is more than 10year old table and overall it sucks.

I like to build a good one coming Autumn, one that make me happy Wrenching.

Good lights, tool holders and everything actully.

I will buy one Power strip with 10plugs like the one Woodie recommendet in other treadh. I have only 4plugs now, and it is
not enough many times.
we.jpg

More ideas, pictures please.

Prefer DIY / cheap

I need also buy one new of these
fdse.jpg

I need a pretty big Bench, i have alot rc cars, big 1/5 trucks also, and XXL Gasolineboat convertet to brushless and other boats. So yeah i need a good
size Bench, that is stable.

I prefer sit on a Office typ chair mostly when i wrench, i dont like standing

Don't get one of those $100 put together benches from lowes/menards. Too small for 1/5th scale wrenching.
2011-0212-BajaOnTheBench01.jpg

When you mount the vice, make sure that it overhangs the edge of the table far enough to allow you to put things in it that go down beyond the table. I goofed that up the first time I installed mine by about 3/4 of an inch.

Even with a 36 inch LED light bar, it's not enough light. It's actually kind of annoying because the light is right in your face. I put a board up in front of the light bar, then put a 150W eq LED bulb in one of those cheap flood lights on a post that's up above my head, which I also put a barrier on so the majority of the light is just down on the bench and not all over the room. I later added an extendable light too with a similar bulb so I could have a lot of light over my charging area and parts boxes.
2022-0406-workBench-TruckRack.jpg

Than you guys, many good tip from you

I will start fixing this end of next mounth i have deside today.

Pictures will come.

And give more great ideas if you have also. I'm very happy with all great help from you guys, AWSOME

Than you guys, many good tip from you

I will start fixing this end of next mounth i have deside today.

Pictures will come.

And give more great ideas if you have also. I'm very happy with all great help from you guys, AWSOME
I will send more pictures I updated the top of the shelf

When you buy that vise, try to find one with a swivel base. And pick up a set of rubber faced jaw protectors at the same time.

Cutting some aluminum angle to various lengths for clamping in the jaws helps in bending and snapping small panels of Lexan too.

Hope this helps. Cheers. 'AC'

S6304532_resize RCT.JPG

S6304534_resize RCT.JPG

When you buy that vise, try to find one with a swivel base. And pick up a set of rubber faced jaw protectors at the same time.

Cutting some aluminum angle to various lengths for clamping in the jaws helps in bending and snapping small panels of Lexan too.

Hope this helps. Cheers. 'AC'

View attachment 149779

View attachment 149780
Agreed I have the same type but red

I'm in the process of building my new "hobby room" myself. We just moved into our new house and I'll finally have a dedicated room for this again. Here are a few photos of my progress so far, maybe it'll give you a few ideas.

Here's the main section of the workbench. MDF board supported by a 2" by 2" plank so it doesn't need any support legs. It's 60cm deep and about 180cm long if remember correctly.

I'm trying to undo the mistakes and shortcomings of the "hobby room" in the apartment we had before. A big bench is a must, my previous bench was way too cramped. I also placed the outlets poorly so the tool wires were in the way while working.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of building my new "hobby room" myself. We just moved into our new house and I'll finally have a dedicated room for this again. Here are a few photos of my progress so far, maybe it'll give you a few ideas.
Here's the main section of the workbench. MDF board supported by a 2" by 2" plank so it doesn't need any support legs. It's 60cm deep and about 180cm long if I remember correctly.

I'm trying to undo the mistakes and shortcomings of the "hobby room" in the apartment we had before. A big bench is a must, my previous bench was way too cramped. I also placed the outlets poorly so the tool wires were in the way while working.

WOW
that was very smart and clever done.

Small rooms can handle alot stuff when done right.
Great inspiration.

AWSOME
thank you so much

You guys have help me alot , soon I'm ready build my hobby room :)

I'm used to make do with relatively little space. My general strategy is to think vertically and utilize wall space. A room has only one floor but typically four walls. Also, shelves, i love shelves.

Back