How does my new toy sound??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HSN sounds good with good smoke trail.
LSN is too lean for my taste.

I have adjusted the hsn and lsn according to the losi manual for factory settings. I'll post another video tomorrow when i get it up and running again. What are you looking for in a lsn. Its a little sluggish when giving it the first few bops of throttle from standstill

I could hear the tell-tale Chewbacca sound which almost always indicates a lean LSN. If you richen it up a bit the idle will also back down to where it should be.

Am i right in saying that there is no idle screw on the losi 350 engine??

Red arrow points to idle screw
LOSR2300-250.gif

Cheers bud. DO i want to be making any adjustment to that? I screw the hsn and lsn into i felt resistance and then took the hsn out 2 1/2 turns and the lsn out 4 turns from the resistance. In the manual they say turns, am i right in interpreting this as a full 360 turn of the needle? I have done this after the video i made today

Making adjustments to your LSN will also have a direct impact on your idle screw. So right now it sounds like your idle is on the high side. If you fatten up the LSN about 1 hour you will notice the idle will drop. I would check idle gap and now that you are broke in start making small adjustments till the gap is about .5mm or so. So if your idle gap is lets say 2mm right now, you should slowly work your way down to the sweet spot. So if you close the gap lets say 2 hours you will want to do the same with your LSN. The LSN is a bit more tricky than the HSN.

This is pretty much what I do when I have a nice straight away to mess with. I copied this from another board so I'm not sure if I can post a link to that site here. By the way those tires don't last long running on pavement :p:

#1) High Speed Needle.
Pull a wot pass a couple times and listen what the engine does when you let off the throttle. As long as the rpm drops right to idle, the HSN is either good or on the rich side. At this point you can lean the HSN in 1/12 increments until the idle seems to hang a little after a wot pass, when it starts to idle high after a pass it is just on the lean side of a perfect tune. Back the HSN out 1/12 turn at a time after a wot pass until the engine drops right to idle after a pass. Now your HSN is set.

To give an explanation to what is happening is simple. If your HSN is too lean, after a wot pass when you let off the throttle the engine is still lean causing the idle to hang and idle high until the LSN has a chance to take over and meter the right amount of fuel to bring the idle down to normal running speed (given the LSN is set correctly)

Now if the opposite happens, after a wot pass when you let off the throttle, if it drops to a good idle right away and then starts to idle back up too high, this is a sign that the LSN is too lean. If it comes off wot with a good tune and will drop rpm nicely then the HSN is metering the fuel properly but once it hits idle the LSN being too lean will quickly take over causing the rpm to go back up.

#2) Low Speed Needle
Most of this setting was explained above but there are a few little tricks you can use to make sure the LSN is adjusted perfectly. We all know that you don't tune for temps but a temp gun is very handy for this part. After some wot passes with the engine good and warm, bring it in and let it sit for about 10 seconds. At this point take your temp gauge and hold it as steady as possible on the head, what you want to see is the temp dropping a degree every 4-5 seconds. You want the temp to drop very slightly at idle because when your off throttle the engine should be cooling, if not, the temps will keep pushing higher with on and off throttle running and will cause temp issues.

Last edited:
+1 for snook. She does sound a little on the thin side for the low end but not horrible by any means. Probably richen her up a little on the LSN and bash the hell out of her!!

Back