Stampede 2wd new wheels

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
For years I discharged my lipos by cutting off the connectors and soaking them in salt water for days if not a week or more waiting for them to fully discharge. Maybe yall have found a better way to do it like I have so I figured Id share my way and let yall share yours and see where we land. I've always hated the salt water bath for a couple of reasons. Its messy, wastes salt, and I dont like having a jug of salt water just sitting around. It is a proven method though :)

What I started doing a few years back when I started having various lipos go bad on me and start puffing while they were in storage was I soldered up a small 25mm 12v fan and a 5mm LED with a resistor on one end and a couple of various battery connectors on the other. First thing I do is hook up the lipo to my fan/LED contraption and let that sit in an ammo can outside for about 24 hours. Once the LED is completely out the pack will be under 2V. In order to discharge it down to practically zero I have a battery connector with both connectors bridged so I can plug it in to the pack thats less than 2V and let it finish discharging the rest of the way.

2V or less should actually be safe enough to dispose of in and of itself as I've tested this recently by driving a 16D nail through a 2S pack that was sitting at about 1.8V. It got the teenist bit warm but did nothing other than that. No smoke, no leaking, no nothing. I did this because I wanted to see if the last step was necessary or if I could just toss em out once the LED went out completely. I dont want to start a garbage truck fire after all.

So thats my method, what do you guys do?

20210614_155202.jpg

20210612_152456.jpg

20210612_152433.jpg
20210612_152444.jpg
20210612_152448.jpg

Last edited:
My last one I left plugged in my 10.2 over night. Other than that salt water.

Just so you know, salt water, and white vinegar is my organic weed and grass killer. You can add salt to vinegar and even soap, I use blue dawn. Just dont mix the water and vinegar.

Down to zero, although the bulb will be very dim to not visible any more once voltage drops. I just leave them overnight.
That might be better than my set up then. I might have to try that. :)

That might be better than my set up then. I might have to try that. :)
Yeah, I got a couple 12V brake lights with both brake/tail light soldered together and wired in series that I use. Leave them on over night with a fan blowing on the bulbs/pack to keep heat down, then I cut/strip the ends, twist and solder them.

to keep heat down
I never noticed any heat, but I just leave them outside with the battery in a lipo bag and the bulb sitting just outside the bag.
cut/strip the ends, twist and solder them
Same cut and twist them together, I never soldered them before, but realize it would be a good format for more soldering practice.

I never noticed any heat, but I just leave them outside with the battery in a lipo bag and the bulb sitting just outside the bag.

Same cut and twist them together, I never soldered them before, but realize it would be a good format for more soldering practice.
The 12V bulbs get pretty hot and since I don't ahve them in a holder or anything, they just dangle in front of a fan below my work bench.

I use my LiPo charger to discharge the battery then cut the ends off and let them soak in a salt water bath.

I just take them to my local DPW . They have a recycle battery box. and your free to grab some..I have a pocket VOM..

thinking Voltage and Ohm Meter, usually only seen them called DVOM (Digital Voltage and Ohm Mmeter)
something like this:
View attachment 128146
Oh I gotchya. I just never seem to referred to with an acronym before. Always just heard them called multimeters.

For years I discharged my lipos by cutting off the connectors and soaking them in salt water for days if not a week or more waiting for them to fully discharge. Maybe yall have found a better way to do it like I have so I figured Id share my way and let yall share yours and see where we land. I've always hated the salt water bath for a couple of reasons. Its messy, wastes salt, and I dont like having a jug of salt water just sitting around. It is a proven method though :)

What I started doing a few years back when I started having various lipos go bad on me and start puffing while they were in storage was I soldered up a small 25mm 12v fan and a 5mm LED with a resistor on one end and a couple of various battery connectors on the other. First thing I do is hook up the lipo to my fan/LED contraption and let that sit in an ammo can outside for about 24 hours. Once the LED is completely out the pack will be under 2V. In order to discharge it down to practically zero I have a battery connector with both connectors bridged so I can plug it in to the pack thats less than 2V and let it finish discharging the rest of the way.

2V or less should actually be safe enough to dispose of in and of itself as I've tested this recently by driving a 16D nail through a 2S pack that was sitting at about 1.8V. It got the teenist bit warm but did nothing other than that. No smoke, no leaking, no nothing. I did this because I wanted to see if the last step was necessary or if I could just toss em out once the LED went out completely. I dont want to start a garbage truck fire after all.

So thats my method, what do you guys do?

View attachment 128117
View attachment 128116
View attachment 128112View attachment 128114View attachment 128115
Use my charger to discharge.

I wouldn't use a charger, I'd prefer to risk my $2 lightbulb setup. Plus I set the batteries outdoors when discharging them fully, not going to leave them on the charger overnight outside. Easier to use some resistors or a lightbulb, cheap and effective.
Agreed. Besides I've never seen a charger that will discharge a lipo below about 3V/C anyway. Pretty sure none of them do.

Back