How do I assemble this "dogbone"?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fstnd

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello why can't I assemble this "dogbome" of my traxxas Maxx? Should I just try harder?
16747340239047549343302398868099.jpg
16747340748175344165950831140923.jpg

Last edited:
Yea I was confused for a second. In the first picture you posted , it looks like that is a steering link or toe link that is disconnected from the steering knuckle.

Maybe this will help. This is the steering link assembly. The steering link is held in a clevis on the steering knuckle or spindle by an m3x18 button head cap screw.
Screenshot_20230126-083932_Chrome.jpg

yup, the spindle needs to be fastened with the king pin first, then you can attach the steering rod.

There are no dogbones in either picture where a dogbone is a type of drive shaft but there are universal drive shafts pictured, not dog bones

this is prime example where RTR's have gone wrong, I would encourage building a kit which provides proper assembly instruction to make it simple for repairs later....

without proper instruction then RTR = "Ready To Return" to the store :(

Not sure what you are asking. Are you trying to assemble it, or disassemble it? By dogbone, are you referring to your axle? Dogbone is typically one of these, which you do not have...
View attachment 159124

Here is the front assenbly exploded view.
https://traxxas.com/sites/default/files/89076-4_TQi_explodedviews_220907_89076-4 Front Assembly.jpg
Yeah sorry, I just forgot the word for it
Not sure what you are asking. Are you trying to assemble it, or disassemble it? By dogbone, are you referring to your axle? Dogbone is typically one of these, which you do not have...
View attachment 159124

Here is the front assenbly exploded view.
https://traxxas.com/sites/default/files/89076-4_TQi_explodedviews_220907_89076-4 Front Assembly.jpg
Sorry, I meant that plastic thing ehich is in the same place as a dogbone anf it has the samr function. It just doesn't want to move, I can't remove it and I can't assemble it right now. It's stuck

Last edited:
Yeah sorry, I just forgot the word for it

Sorry, I meant that plastic thing ehich is in the same place as a dogbone anf it has the samr function.
A dogbone as mentioned previously is a type of axle. The piece you're referring to is a steering linkage. A dogbone (axle) is what spins the wheels, the steering linkage is what makes the wheels turn left and right. So, not the same function. Your rigs axles are called CVDs and does not use dogbone axles. just F.Y.S.A.

It just doesn't want to move, I can't remove it and I can't assemble it right now. It's stuck
If it doesn't want to move on its own, then power the car on with a battery and turn the steering servo so that the end of the steering link (circled in green) is far enough over to attached to the steering knuckle (circled in red).
16747340748175344165950831140923.jpg

Ok, so you are trying to remove the half shaft ? That's the proper name for that on a car with independant suspension. It is "half of an axle".
20230126_112140.jpg

RC people call that an axle, driveshaft, etc. It looks just like a telescoping driveshaft on a car, with universal joints, so... but I call them half shafts.

First, you need to remove the wheel hex. This will just pull off. There is a pin under it that goes through the axle. Make sure you don't lose it. Place the hex and pin somewhere safe. Those pins are notorious for growing legs and running off and never returning.
Screenshot_20230126-112856_Chrome.jpg

After you get that off, the axle should push out the back of the spindle. They can sometimes be stuck in the bearings due to corrosion. If it's stuck, screw the wheel nut back onto the axle a few turns and tap on it to push the axle out of the spindle.

If it still won't come out, remove the two kingpins in the spindle to get it somewhere easier to work on it. The two undelined pins are the king pins. The arrow is pointing to the spindle.
Screenshot_20230126-112737_Chrome.jpg

this is prime example where RTR's have gone wrong, I would encourage building a kit which provides proper assembly instruction to make it simple for repairs later....

without proper instruction then RTR = "Ready To Return" to the store :(
This is so true. Building an RC car from a kit is the most important way to learn how to work on an RC. Not only does it teach you how it all works, but it teaches you the order in which things come apart. At least with most RC's. I have seen some really messed up build manuals 🤪

Last edited:
This is so true. Building an RC car from a kit is the most important way to learn how to work on an RC. Not only does it teach you how it all works, but it teaches you the order in which things come apart. At least with most RC's. I have seen some really messed up build manuals 🤪
After building my buggy kit, I really like building kits more than getting an RTR. Next kits I plan to get is a scte 3.0 or the sct410.3. For 2wd buggy it would be a b6.4D or might go with a different brand like yokomo or tlr. Xray is just way out of my price range since they are 600 dollars+ for their kits. Maybe a Tamiya build in my garage?
I like taking the time to build them up. Yes it could take a month or 2 but I just like building stuff more.

After building my buggy kit, I really like building kits more than getting an RTR. Next kits I plan to get is a scte 3.0 or the sct410.3. For 2wd buggy it would be a b6.4D or might go with a different brand like yokomo or tlr. Xray is just way out of my price range since they are 600 dollars+ for their kits. Maybe a Tamiya build in my garage?
I like taking the time to build them up. Yes it could take a month or 2 but I just like building stuff more.
You should grab a Kyosho Legendary kit 😉 They are fun builds, and cheap kits to boot.

I always loved assembling the old RC10's as well. They were really nice kits. I haven't built any newer race kits, because I really can't get to a track to run them. And bashing buggies just isn't what they are made for. But I would love to build a few of them.

That Tekno SCT would be awesome too. I've never owned an SCT for some reason 🤪

Ok, so you are trying to remove the half shaft ? That's the proper name for that on a car with independant suspension. It is "half of an axle".
View attachment 159133
RC people call that an axle, driveshaft, etc. It looks just like a telescoping driveshaft on a car, with universal joints, so... but I call them half shafts.

First, you need to remove the wheel hex. This will just pull off. There is a pin under it that goes through the axle. Make sure you don't lose it. Place the hex and pin somewhere safe. Those pins are notorious for growing legs and running off and never returning.
View attachment 159134

After you get that off, the axle should push out the back of the spindle. They can sometimes be stuck in the bearings due to corrosion. If it's stuck, screw the wheel nut back onto the axle a few turns and tap on it to push the axle out of the spindle.

If it still won't come out, remove the two kingpins in the spindle to get it somewhere easier to work on it. The two undelined pins are the king pins. The arrow is pointing to the spindle.
View attachment 159135

OK, now I see what the OP was trying to say....

OK, now I see what the OP was trying to say....
Np, if that was my problem, you'd still help me out😂 and sorry for turning off my autocorrect, I'm doing this on my phone

Back