how controller works?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pironman

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Good morning, I'm a car-motorcycle-videogame enthusiast. I like RC car but I never bought one.
I have a curiosity, and maybe in this forum I can find the answer.
Just keep calm because I really am not an expert of RC cars, so if I ask nonsense questions, it is not my intention to offend.

I play with simulation games (like assetto corsa, dirt rally...), using racing wheel, but sometimes I like to use an xbox gamepad.
If the gamepad worked like a wheel (direct input), 5mm of movement of the stick corresponds to 400° rotation of the steering wheel. The car will be undriveable, I try.
The only way to use it is to add filter (to smooth the input), velocity sensitivity (to reduce the max wheel angle with the speed, so, for example, 5mm of stick movement at 20 km/h is 400°, at 100 km/h is 150°) and other parameters.
Usually in game these parameters are default and hidden, in simulation games you can modify and remove it.

Now, my question: RC cars are real life cars... smaller, but obey to the physic laws like the bigger one. And they are controlled using a radio controller similar to a gamepad.
So, in the radio controller, there are parameters like the one in racing games? or the input is direct at each speed?
If the answer is the second, how is it possible to control the car? maybe the car is setted to slide more and so the input is smoothed by the car, and not by the controller?
Thanks

Good morning, I'm a car-motorcycle-videogame enthusiast. I like RC car but I never bought one.
Just keep calm because I really am not an expert of RC cars, so if I ask nonsense questions, it is not my intention to offend.

I play with simulation games (like assetto corsa, dirt rally...), using racing wheel, but sometimes I like to use an xbox gamepad.
If the gamepad worked like a wheel (direct input), 5mm of movement of the stick corresponds to 400° rotation of the steering wheel. The car will be undriveable, I try.
The only way to use it is to add filter (to smooth the input), velocity sensitivity (to reduce the max wheel angle with the speed, so, for example, 5mm of stick movement at 20 km/h is 400°, at 100 km/h is 150°) and other parameters.
Usually in game these parameters are default and hidden, in simulation games you can modify and remove it.

Now, my question: RC cars are real life cars... smaller, but obey to the physic laws like the bigger one. And they are controlled using a radio controller similar to a gamepad.
So, in the radio controller, there are parameters like the one in racing games? or the input is direct at each speed?
If the answer is the second, how is it possible to control the car? maybe the car is setted to slide more and so the input is smoothed by the car, and not by the controller?
Thanks
My brain melted trying to answer this but, the controllers are like steering wheels but only about 180 degrees of movement. The transmitter sends the signals to the receiver then to the ESC for throttle or to the servo for steering. I believe the transmitter handles almost everything except the ESC which translates the transmitter signals to the receiver to throttle. My brain right now: 🤯

Both
Cheaper radio control systems are 1 to 1. How ever much you move a control results in an equal move in the model. More expensive ones can alter that so you can change how sensitive a control is at center and make it react more and faster the father you turn it.

The RC transmitter works a lot like a gamepad. Movement of the knob and trigger is proportional. You can actually connect some RC transmitters to the PC and set them up in some games/apps. Like Drone and RC Plane sims.

Thanks
Hello that's one heck of curiosity. And like PUG above my head hurts. But as WVned above said. Rc's is a direct connection from controller to reciver. But this article will explain the complete answer for you sir👍

https://science.howstuffworks.com/rc-toy.htm

Exponential rate is where the servo movement is not directly proportional to the amount of control stick movement on your transmitter. Over the first half on the stick travel, the servo moves less than the stick. This makes control response milder and smoothes out level flight and normal flight maneuvers.

Dual Rates consist of Low Rates and High Rates. Low Rates make the aircraft less responsive (i.e. easier to control), and High Rates make the aircraft more responsive (i.e. harder to control). Dual Rates are typically controlled by a toggle switch on an R/C transmitter.

These are more common on aircraft radios. One of mine will do exponential on the steering channel.

I found something recently on my DX5C I didn't know it had, servo speed. Came in handy when I was getting used to my maxx 4s on 6S. I didn't want dual rate or exponential, I wanted to slow it down, which it did allow me to do. I'm back to 100% though, but was cool to be able to adjust that in the transmitter.

Thanks for yours answer.
So, the controller-wheel movement could be 1:1 or exponential, but does not vary with speed, correct?
This because in racing game, the faster the car travel the lower the wheel steer, at same stick movement.

They are independent from each other. No correlation between speed of RC and steering exp.

Our cars have no idea how fast they are going. A few have telemetry but that only tells the driver how fast the car is going.

Back