Hovercraft

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoc2008

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Ok for my science fair project for my school I plan to build an R/C hovercraft could anyone tell me what I will need like for engines and radio? Also could you tell me good ideas on ways to run it.

bump has anyone read this yet

But you see I was thinking, what if it was nitro powered? Would it work with a nitro engine, or would it be to heavy to lift off. If I used a helicoptor engine I might be able to do it. And then I would just hook up two motors to rotors and have a central unit and use my radio and it may work.

Do you want an all out hovercraft with the air skirt underneath it and all? or just maybe something that will float above the ground on a cushion of air powererd by a few propellers? Maybe if you rigged up 4 props (2 front 2 back, evenly spaced like a square), in cages like an airboat, that would be belt driven with pulleys, that might work. They could engage when your clutch kicks in. For a second channel of your reciever you could hook up a servo that would engage 2 more props on the back that would actually propel the craft. for the steering, you'd have a 3rd channel that would rotate slats (like vents in a car) that would direct where the air would flow, creating a way to steer it. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm................

dang, now that I think about it, that would be just like a remote control lawn mower.........

man, I've got an extra t-maxx and GT chassis laying around....if I only had the extra cash for some micro servos and more supplies.........

Last edited:
Lol yea I was thinking more on the lines of cushion and have like a nitro helicopter engine to power the air cushion and then have like a little airplane motor on the back connected to a belt to power two propellers or maybe just one then have 2 servos that are connected to a string thats connected to the flaps and have them on a y connector to have them turn at the same time.

strings...nah man, use a thinner gauge linkage wire. you'd only need one servo: connect the linkage from the servo horn to one side of the flaps, then connect that side to the other side with another linkage.

Yea but how could I hook up a nitro engine to a propeller to power the cushion and what engine should I get?

similarly to how you do in a touring car....clutchbell attatched to a spur gear attatched to a pulley system. It could work!!!

Could you show me a diagram I don't quite understand because the blade is facing horizontally.

As far as an engine, well this is a project type of thing, so I'd go with whatever you've got extra laying around. If you don't have anything laying around, I'd just get something cheap. If whatever you decide to build works out and you decide that you want more out of it, then look towards performance and spend some more cash.

Do you have to break in helicoptor and airplane engines?

crap....how do I post a pic??

put image tags around the url

I drew a diagram up and have the .bmp on my computer....how do I post the pic?
I have no clue what Image Tags are, or how they work.

can u send it to my email

Last edited:
Could someone help me figure out how I could some how get my hovercraft rudders to turn and one engine to shut off so I could turn real easily?

bump Can anyone help me with this?

they look like this [img ------- [/img]
download your image in your gallery first then open it, clik on the pic and go to propereties, copy the url and paste it in between the image tags like above, dont forget the back slash on the second tag or it wont work, good luck!

Last edited:
I guess I know nitromaniac has me on his ignore list.

Back