Hot batteries.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitratex

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have a pro boat impulse 31 with a brushless and 60 amp esc that I programmed to run NiMH batteries I'm useing dual onyx 5000 mah NiMH one has gotten hot and cracked the outer shell.
Is this normal do I need to be concerned about it??
I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT ELECTRIC RC OR BATTERIES.

---------- Post added at 8:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:33 PM ----------

attachment.php

---------- Post added at 8:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:35 PM ----------

attachment.php

---------- Post added at 8:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:36 PM ----------

Picture
attachment.php

---------- Post added at 8:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:36 PM ----------

I'm trying to post a pic but I'm not doing someone right

Another picture

Another picture attempt
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 112
Yea you gotta love auto correct. I've sent some crazy messages before

Sounds like you're pulling to many amps outta those NiMH packs. Id switch to High output NiMHs or NiCDs. NiCDs are typically able to shell out more amps than NiMH. The drawback to NiCDs is they require a little more care, as in cycling them instead of just charging them.

You could also switch to Lipo. Lipo would also improve your run times.

Yes I believe that is what ill be doing. At the time of purchase I didn't a extra 120 bucks to throw at batteries so I just threw 60 bucks at them instead. Since this one battery is taking its clothes off it should have been in dollars.
You think there could be anything wrong with the battery it won't take a charger now either my peak charger charges it for like 8 mins then stop.

You might want to try the 3 cycle routine. If that doesn't bring it back then it's time to go LiPo.

---------- Post added at 2:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:22 PM ----------

You might want to try the 3 cycle routine. If that doesn't bring it back then it's time to go.
If the cell under the split wrapper has swelled, it's toast.

Um so what's the 3 cycle routine ???

---------- Post added at 3:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:23 PM ----------

I hdtvthevfeeling I'm walking straight into a joke on this one

---------- Post added at 3:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:23 PM ----------

Wow I've got to start proof reading my posts.

If I'm correct its the discharge/charge cycle that some chargers offer. Mine does but I've never done it.

Lol....believe it or not, no joke here. :whhooo::\

Use the charger set to charge/discharge or if you don't have that use discharge. When it's discharged, make sure it's at room temperature, then recharge. Same thing, check the temp, let it cool if it has to, and do it again. Charge and discharge at normal settings. Do not boost them but let it discharge without a major load.
Do it 3 times and your battery might come back to a good life.

I don't think my charger will discharge the battery it's a ascend by radient it was 70 bucks at hobby town

Just looked it up. You're right.

Specs-
Heat Sensor: No
Connector: Tamiya, Mini/Micro plug
Weight: 350 grams
Max Charge Rate: 6 amps on 2S Lipo (DC) or 4 amps on 2S Lipo (AC), 4 amps on 3S (DC) or 3 amps on 3S (AC)
Max Cell Count: 3S Lipo, 8 Cell Ni-Mh
Cell Chemistries Supported: NiCd, NiMH, LiPo, LiFe
Model Memory: No
Discharge Mode: No
Balance Charger: Yes
Balance Plug: JST-XH (2 and 3S)
AC/DC: AC and DC
Warranty: 90 Days Limited

I've sent a email to duratrax customer care. Hopefully they will replace it. Hopefully

if they replace it, you might be stuck again. i guess you could sell it and buy a lipo.
Lipo's can be sometimes less expensive than nimh's.

Well they sent a replacement battery. Off to the river.