homemade onboard igniter

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macguyver

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
well..here it is ....i am tired of having to put the igniter on the plug each time i want to start my BB Revo ...so i decided to make myself an onboard igniter ....i used the battery holder off an old alarm clock , a switch from an old computer power supply and a glow plug wire i got for a couple $$ off ebay .

first , i had to modify the battery holder so that the batteries are in parallel instead of in series ...so that i get 1.5v from 2 AA batt..instead of 3v

then i made a mount out of an old clothes hanger so i can mount the batteries over the front shocks .....glued the wire on the batt holder with shoe-goo ..secured the switch on the edge with some JB-weld ...then i sprayed all around and under with black plasti dip

hooked up the glow plug wire , and there it is :D ...i know its not the prettiest thing ...but it does the job :D...and most important , NO MORE igniter to carry :D...now i just have to reach through the hole in the windshield and flick the switch :D

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
3v is quite a bit for a glow plug. I don't know that there would be any negative affects of that but it shouldn't have a problem getting it turn over :)

Now there's a Macguyver project. I hope you were able to use the ball of naval lint you got for your birthday.

3v is quite a bit for a glow plug. I don't know that there would be any negative affects of that but it shouldn't have a problem getting it turn over :)
its at 1.5v ..not 3v ..i modified it so that the batteries are in parallel ;)

Now there's a Macguyver project. I hope you were able to use the ball of naval lint you got for your birthday.

I'm saving that for another project ;) :hehe:

I found a pen spring and a paper clip in the pile. I hope you didn't need them for anything really important.

Good job nothing wrong with that don't worry about looks your not in a car show. (Thats Thinkin!):)

Last edited:
lol...thats ok , i have plenty of those ;) ...but i am missing a toenail clipping :hehe:..lol

It's in the mail. ;)

I like it! I've contemplated doing the same on my revo. Just one less thing to carry in my pocket. I'd suggest you use some decent NiMH cells though. 2 x 2600mah will last a long friggen time as a heater. I use an AA heater now and it lasts longer than my old NiCAD heaters ever did. I actually timed them to see... wish I could remember how long they last, but I know the NiMH 2600mah AA lasted far longer.

It's in the mail. ;)

I like it! I've contemplated doing the same on my revo. Just one less thing to carry in my pocket. I'd suggest you use some decent NiMH cells though. 2 x 2600mah will last a long friggen time as a heater. I use an AA heater now and it lasts longer than my old NiCAD heaters ever did. I actually timed them to see... wish I could remember how long they last, but I know the NiMH 2600mah AA lasted far longer.

cool :D thanks olds ..your the best :cheers:

ya ..i have better batteries for it ..i just used these ones to test things out ;)

i remember seein photos of a tmaxx that had an on board ez starter linked to a servo, that would save a lot of time running after it to start it, now just come up with something that will put it back on its wheels after a flip

what did you use to hook to the glow plug?

Here's the one I just put together a couple of weeks ago...

Sav36.jpg

That long round thing is a 14,000 mAh battery.

Remote lock-on ignitor connector from the airplane section.
IgnPlug.jpg

IgnCap.jpg

IgnHeadFin.jpg

IgnWire.jpg

what did you use to hook to the glow plug?

its a glow plug connector i got on ebay for a couple $$$ .. i think the brand was a ''dubro''.

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

Here's the one I just put together a couple of weeks ago...

nice work Rolex :D .

..i see a plug hole where your switch is ...is that for the power supply or do you have an on board battery ???

Dubro makes airplane parts and accessories.

The battery is the long, round silver cylinder held down with zip ties in Tygon tubing. I trimmed it with Chrome sticky back foil.
The switch, when in the center, is off. Toward the bumper it lights the plug. When pushed forward it's to charge the battery with a jack in that hole.

Dubro makes airplane parts and accessories.

The battery is the long, round silver cylinder held down with zip ties in Tygon tubing. I trimmed it with Chrome sticky back foil.
The switch, when in the center, is off. Toward the bumper it lights the plug. When pushed forward it's to charge the battery with a jack in that hole.

aha ..i see ...nice work ...i was wondering what that shiny cylinder was ...did a nice clean job ;)

Man that looks great mac nice job, if I were still into nitros I would fancy that idea indeed!

The first one I did was similar to yours, but then the bling kept adding up. You can see the charge jack on this one to the right of the batteries.
The big F size battery I have now weighs in at just over 8 oz.
I quit worrying about weight long time ago. :hehe:

SwitchT3.jpg

Back