Hobbywing max10 SCT (4000kv) thoughts and how it is

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
So what I did last night is I took the system out of the slash and put it in the rustler. The system is very powerful. Also I had been running these: XT90-TRX adapters for my battery. So far they are working good no issues so far. After running the car for 25+ mins the motor wasn't that hot which is good. I am still running the stock settings but will probably be needing to change them. Also since I had been running on 2s I might upgrade to 3s soon. Hobbywing states that the ESC can do up to 4s but I don't think the motor can do it since it is a higher kv motor.

PXL_20221015_221221657.jpg

PXL_20221015_221226158.jpg

PXL_20221015_221229690.jpg

Also to note, I am using the included pinion gear that came with the system. I believe it is a 21t pinion, 48 pitch and 5mm bore to fit the motor.

I run HW also but honestly can remember which one is the 4000kv. I have found however that 4s is kind of pushing it for a 1/10 scale rig.
I keep my Stampedes on 2s which is plenty for me. Once in a while I jump up to 3s when I feel froggy. :)

The motor is limited to 3S max. 1/10 scale kits are generally perform very well on 2S. On 3S you start to push the limits of the electronics. You have to gear down a lot on your pinion in order to keep the motor cool enough. If you get a system that can handle 4S you're going to find it starts becoming hard to find something that will fit plus it becomes harder to secure a 4S pack in a kit that wasn't designed to carry more than a 3S pack. Even if it does fit the motor will be a lot lower kV and even though you're running on 4S you're not really getting any better performance out of it because of the lower kV rating. If you mod it enough to fit a massive pinion on it then you may get back performance but at what cost? You could have done the same thing on 2S or 3S with gearing changes. Just my :2cents:

Back