Hobbywing 3660 4000kv power

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC MAN

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
Hi guys

I have just brought a second HobbyWing MAX10 SCT ESC with the 3660 4000kv motor.
does any one know how much power it will produce on 3s in watts. It doesn't say it anywhere on their website or it's max amps either.
Any help would be appreciated. 😀

4000k on 3 cell is not a wise decision at all to many kv..
it will produce enough power to give you A great smoke how with possible flames... unwise to run a high kv motor on 3 ell.. id say 3200kv max on 3 cells. anyway do what 1 wants I have no idea lol.40 years in this hobby has taught me NOTHING....

Hi guys

I have just brought a second HobbyWing MAX10 SCT ESC with the 3660 4000kv motor.
does any one know how much power it will produce on 3s in watts. It doesn't say it anywhere on their website or it's max amps either.
Any help would be appreciated. 😀

In order to calculate wattage all you need to do is multiply voltage times amperage. What are you trying to figure out exactly? That motor you bought will run fine on the ESC if thats what you are wondering

In order to calculate wattage all you need to do is multiply voltage times amperage. What are you trying to figure out exactly? That motor you bought will run fine on the ESC if thats what you are wondering
NOT ON 3 CELLS

NOT ON 3 CELLS
with proper gearing it can run 3S. The motor is rated up to 3S and the ESC rated up to 4S. Granted he'll have to run a fairly small pinion but theres no reason it shouldnt work. granted I wouldnt go trying to run it through grass on 3S but dirt, gravel, or street should be fine.

Worst case scenario if I'm wrong and the motor runs to hot he can always drop back to running 2S.

I Know what the watt rating is but i dont really understand it. Is it a torque thing or is it a Speed thing so would more watts equal more speed?

I Know what the watt rating is but i dont really understand it. Is it a torque thing or is it a Speed thing so would more watts equal more speed?
It could but its not a direct measurement of speed or torque, its just there to help you figure out the various electrical aspects of you build. For example if you have a 160A esc and you want to make sure your motor isnt going to pull more than 160A then you could take the Wattage and divide it buy the pack volatge you're running to determine the amp draw. At least unloaded anyway. For example if the motor was 1500W and you're running it on 3S (11.1v) Then you would know by dividing 1500 by 11.1 that the amp draw of that motor will be approx 135A max and you would be theoretically safe to run that.

That being said dont get to caught up on that cuz pretty much any 1/10 scale motor will work with any 1/10 scale ESC providing you dont exceed the max lipo cell count for them. Same goes with 1/8 scale or any other scale for that matter.

Thanks for the example it helped a lot! I know that that example was just explaining the watts BUT...

In your example doesn't an esc have a peak current rating. So if you were running a motor with a max amps of 150 and you were running a 120 amp esc with a peak current of 830amps you should be alright. Because the motor will only ever draw around 160 amps [depending on your load] at 100% throttle and the esc will be able to handle that for about 20-40 seconds and if you have ever driven a really fast Rc car which motor will draw that many amps you will know that you can't really hold the throttle down for 6 seconds!

Back