Hobao Hyper TT Roller vs Team Magic E5 HX ARR vs other suggestions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tow_glinka

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi guys,

So, I have a BRCC and I love it :D .
But now I'm searching for a second truck to compliment it with.

I want some type of 1:10 scale 4wd offroad vehicle (Monster Truck, Truggy, Short Course) that on the one hand can be bashed together with my BRCC, but on the other is not too similar so I can justify the purchase to myself (so no, another Arrma 3S BLX won't do).
I want a Kit or Roller as I'm going to use the electronics out of my old Fury BLX (and run the car on 3S only).

I was thinking about getting one of the above stated cars, can anyone tell me what he thinks about them / what experience he had with them? I'm also open to other suggestions (but not Pro-Line / Tekno, that's too expensive).

P.S.: I wanted to ask my lhs for advice, he generally gives good suggestions....but at the moment he said I should go Traxxas if I want the best quality I stopped listening...

Greetings from Germany ^^

I had the Redcat tr10mte same truck as the tea. Magic, awesome truck as long as the center diff upgrade is done. Regret ever selling it. Very durable, I jumped the crap out of it. I only broke a ring gear due to not putting in the center diff. I landed on the front wheels and had the throttle pinned.

@Notorious J Thanks man, I've seen that thread, but that is not the same Truck the Team Magic is built on. And I can't find the Truck in Germany, so I would have to order it from Italy.

@Dstashak Thanks, that sounds awesome. Especially because I would get the ARR Version from Team Magic, which comes without electronics, but with the Center diff, the steel Skidplates and the aluminium Shock Towers, Shocks and Body Mount already installed.

Also a quick info, I think I won't go the Hobao route...I would have to either order the car and spare parts from England, which will mean a lot of shipping cost and waiting for the parts. Alternatively I could buy them from my lhs....that has to order them from a supplier from England (even the supplier doesn't have the parts in stock...which means waiting a few weeks for spare parts).

So, if I get a 4wd Truck, it looks like I would get the Team Magic. But at the Moment I'm also thinking about a 2wd Monster, but I'll open a new thread for that (If I get a 2wd now, I'll get a 4wd later, so info about the Team Magic or other suggestions are still welcome).

I have 2 of the TRMT10e, 1 I kept stock & another I put a 4s system in. The stock setup of the Team Magic variant has a better HW system but is fairly slow. The car comes undergeared but the motor is 4000kv which is a bit on the high side so you can't go for a higher pinion w/o temperature issues. The motor is limited to a 3665 can. The Redcat had driveline issues which were corrected that I don't think were present with the Team Magic. But both have ridiculously weak stub axles. They can bend & break with a good tumble. The ESC is the same in both cars & is very reliable. They should of went with a lower KV motor which could produce more torque & allow for more pinion sizes.

@Megasty
Okay...are the stub axles that big of a Problem?
Also, the stock electronics don't matter that much, if I buy the Team Magic I'm going to buy the Roller Version.
I would either put the Combo out of my old Fury BLX in it (BLX80, 3600kv) or buy a new Hobbywing Combo...but do you mean limited to a 3655 (which comes stock) or a 3665 can, or in other words, will a 3660 can fit? If not, that would be a bummer (even if I put the Fury electronics in it for now, I was planning to put in a Hobbywing Max10 SCT and a Hobbywing 3660 can in some time later).

@Megasty
Okay...are the stub axles that big of a Problem?
Also, the stock electronics don't matter that much, if I buy the Team Magic I'm going to buy the Roller Version.
I would either put the Combo out of my old Fury BLX in it (BLX80, 3600kv) or buy a new Hobbywing Combo...but do you mean limited to a 3655 (which comes stock) or a 3665 can, or in other words, will a 3660 can fit? If not, that would be a bummer (even if I put the Fury electronics in it for now, I was planning to put in a Hobbywing Max10 SCT and a Hobbywing 3660 can in some time later).
I haven't broke a stub axle after heat treating them but b4 then, I went through 5 between the 2 trucks. It's limited to a 3660 can, I had to get the truck in front of me to make sure. I have a 2400kv 3660 in the 4s truck & it's about 1mm away from the servo. Also the motor absolutely needs to have a 5mm shaft with or w/o the center diff. The drivetrain of the truck is pretty robust & it will break any 3.5mm shaft.

@Megasty How do you Heat Treat them?

Well, if it needs a 5mm shaft I might hold off of it for now, as I can't use it with my Fury electronics then, and buying a Hobbywing Combo and the Truck together won't fit in my Budget at the moment. I might buy it later down the line (on the other Hand, I might add 100€ and buy an Outcast instead, so if I buy it it will be a lot later).

I might buy a 2wd Truck for now (look at my other post https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/traxxas-stampede-2wd-alternatives.9822/ ).
Now, I know, you shouldn't buy 2wd just because you can't afford 4wd, but I have 2 good reasons:
1. I specifically want a 2wd in my fleet. If I don't buy a 2wd as my second Truck, it's going to be my third.
2. When I bought my Fury a few years ago, my girlfriend has never driven it. But after getting my BRCC in late 2018, she has driven it, and had a lot of fun. So...the moment I have two trucks, we can go bash together, so I really need two trucks. :D

All you need to heat treat them is a small plumbers propane torch (can be used to un-loctite screws too), a pot, a quart of 10w30 oil (regular oil - not synthetic), pliers, & a pair of thick leather-palmed gloves. You need to disassemble the CVD until you just have the axle. Hold the axle with the pliers, heat it for a minute, then dunk it in the pot of oil, heat it again for 30 seconds, then dunk it again. Repeat with all 4 then let them cool off b4 reassembling the CVDs. This works on any steel part, making it stronger w/o making it more brittle - especially the sintered stuff.

I don’t know much about the truck but figure I could say I have a HoBao Hyper GTE 1/8 on road car and I have to say the build quality of it is amazing and solid. I can’t wait to get it all figured out and finish it. Hobao makes some good quality rc I think personally but looks like either of your choices you can’t go wrong by what others have said

@Megasty Thanks a lot for the Input. :)

@Megafandrew
Thanks. I might not get the Hyper TT (because like I said, having to wait weeks for spare parts is a bummer), but I was actually thinking about getting the Hobao Roadcar or Buggy in one or two years (These get importet into Germany => spares aren't that big of a Problem).....so thanks. :D

Last edited:
@Megasty Thanks a lot for the Input. :)

@Megafandrew
Thanks. I might not get the Hyper TT (because like I said, having to wair weeks for spare parts is a bummer), but I was actually thinking about getting the Hobao Roadcar or Buggy in one or two years (These get importet into Germany => spares aren't that big of a Problem).....so thanks. :D

Ya I don’t think you would go wrong with the Magic and ya Hobao seems harder to find parts in Canada also. But good idea the 1/8 onroad car handles the imperfections in ashphalt much better then a 1/10 does so that was a big deal for me. Good luck on the choice and enjoy it!