Tamiya f350 high-lift build - completed!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notorious J

DESTROYER OF RC PLASTIC PARTS!
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
Just started this kit. Won it on a local hobby store's Instagram auction. Really well crafted and super detail including this first part of the build, a 3 speed transmission. Replaced all included bushings with bearings and I'll run the stock motor to start just to get s feel for the truck.
IMG_20220314_090526.jpg

Interested in seeing this build

Can't wait to see more of this build. I love these Tamiya trucks!

Interested in seeing this build
I'm so pumped to put it together. Been more than 30 years since I put together a full kit. Hardest part is deciding on the paint for the body and what size new tires to get. Love the 3 speed transmission idea, just hope it holds up with time.

Looking forward to seeing this, never seen a Tamiya on the inside.
The kit has about a million pieces. Took a good hour and a half to assemble the transmission, mostly because if you miss one step, it takes eight steps to correct lol!

love to know how the transmission works out

love to know how the transmission works out
I just figured out how to connect the servo that controls it to my Flysky FS GT5. Theres a 3 position switch on the side of the controller which will make changing the gears a breeze. Well, it will in theory anyways. I'll find a way to f it up like I always do.

I just figured out how to connect the servo that controls it to my Flysky FS GT5. Theres a 3 position switch on the side of the controller which will make changing the gears a breeze. Well, it will in theory anyways. I'll find a way to f it up like I always do.
I just setup a GT5 on the Ryft with a 2-speed on channel 4. I just set it so middle and bottom position are 1st gear, and flipping the switch up is 2nd gear. Works great. I have another truck I setup the 4 wheel steering on too. Awesome radio for the money.

Thank you sir. My next recommendation would be a live stream if you could. :D ;)

I would do full air ride lay it out make it functional my 2 cents

Thank you sir. My next recommendation would be a live stream if you could. :D ;)

Agree.

I wanted a f350, but at the time got a 10.2 due to prices.
That sounds like fun but I'm not much of a talker like so many of the big names in rc. Plus then everyone would see how many mistakes I make before I finally get it right☺️

We all make mistakes, it's part of it. One of my favorite builds was watching @FastEddy years ago do a page by page video series building the HPI Baja 5B. It was really cool seeing the kit come together.

As long as you keep the pictures coming I'll be fine. Don't worry about me. :D

That sounds like fun but I'm not much of a talker like so many of the big names in rc. Plus then everyone would see how many mistakes I make before I finally get it right☺️
Believe me... I know what you mean. So many times my son and I get into making a vid, and things don't go well. And not being live, it means the work to fix the mistakes can be fixed in editing.

We thought about doing the Ryft build we are doing in a live stream, but we had about 15 minutes worth of problems just putting the transmission halves together, because the bearings didn't want to stay in their counterbores when positioning everything.

On top of that, using a non-rtr servo for the shifting duties meant a few trial and error parts needed to be printed until I found a design that worked. That took a couple days.

What I would like to figure out is how to setup a discord channel so everyone can be in voice chat, and be able to overlay that into the YouTube live recording, so everyone can chat in the video. That way, there could be multiple sets of eyes and ideas helping with the builds 😉

Fwiw, it took me 2 or 3 tries to get my 10.2 tranny right. Sometimes I still put stiff together to realize I left a part out right in front of me!

Fwiw, it took me 2 or 3 tries to get my 10.2 tranny right. Sometimes I still put stiff together to realize I left a part out right in front of me!
We put the Ryft diffs together and forgot to put the top bevel gear in the diff. I had to tear them back down and put them in. You can see the gears in the build vid if you look closely 😁🤪🤣

Back