His & Hers Duratrax Evaders Builds

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks man!
love tinkering with them.
side note, ever figure out what happened with those oil seals?
nope, the guy sent out new ones, never got delivered, asked the mailwoman, waiting to see if anything turns up. at this point, theres a motion industries 30 mins away,at this point, I'm gunna shoot em a email to see if they have skf seals in my size and (if they had em in stock) just go over there, buy some, and ask for a refund for the original seals. its quite ridiculous

Last edited:
most of the parts should be in today, sadly a few items got delayed, and might not be in until Monday, wheels, and brake disk should be in Monday. spur gear, tires, brake hub, and a few misc pieces should be in today though.

welp, kinda feel.... err.... after digging through a few sites like tower etc, all said 2.2 stadium truck tires on the tires name and description. so i ordered them, thinking hey its a Stadium truck tire these will fit... figured that "2.2 Stadium Truck" tires, with an "ST" designation embossed in bright white would you know.... fit 2.2 STADIUM TRUCK wheels? guess not?? ,
get them in, look a bit short and thin compared to my buddies RC10GT rears, definitely smalller, compare to the tires we got with the evaders guess what, same damn size... look at the fine print at the bottom, goes saying 1/10 truck, 1/16 summit/revo, then all the way at the bottom says fits 1/10 buggy rear....
i mean cmon.... i guess i could have dug harder, but really shouldnt have to, to confirm a "2.2 stadium truck tire" should fit a stadium truck wheel. it shouldnt be that #$%$ difficult for them to name the tires for what they are.

anyways.... guess i have an extra spare set for the one that's staying a buggy...
probably going to try to find some gladiators or go for some calibers.

Last edited:
I used to run losi step pins when I had a xxx-nt. Also ran them on my 4x4 hpi NitroMT (predecessor to the MT2). They got a lot of forward bite. Not a pavement tire though, that would eat them up in a blink!
2005-0101-NMTRight.JPG

Can't believe that was almost 14 years ago!

have been seeing similar tires to those, i just know with knobby tires like that for these as soon as anything gets hardpack they seem to disappear quick, kind of why i like the gladiators, have a pretty heavy pin layout and are quite thick

ran them on my nephews RC10GT with a picco .12, got some pavement time for a few tanks and still look about brand new. more or less why i was so excited about the tires i initially ordered because they had a decent tread pattern being a cross between a pin and standard tire.
i try not to run on pavement much but right outside my house where i run the rigs when i can't go into the mountains or anything is pavement and i narrow stretch of dirt.
frustrating having to dig through the SC tires now too haha seems to have taken over any other type of truck so they are always first, have to dig pages deep unless i have a part number.
gonna have to wait a bit to order another set of tires, hopefully gonna be able to snag a body too, guess the XXXnt and the XXt bodies fit great on the nitro evaders.
thanks for the tip though gonna have to keep a look out for some if i can't find another set i like.

got pretty lucky yesterday went to check the LHS to see if they had any tires for 2.2 and had one set left, set of Jconcepts Pin Downs Med Soft compount, was all the way on the back of the shelf, they didnt even remember it was there, enough dust on it the tag was almost unreadable. should get me through till i find something else, seem to be a hard enough compound they wont disintegrate so soon. glad i accidentally ended up ordering 2 sets of wheels front and rear.
was able to run the yellow evader last night, one of the fronts came unglued so cut it short, but was a blast to run around.

Well have a bit of progress, wheels came in, for both the one that is gonna stay a buggy and and the ST ones, the st fron tires came in today as well, still waiting on the mail for the brake disk (rc10gt does not fit without modification btw it's a bit smaller diameter hex). Didnt realize it but the fronspindle between the st and the bx is also slightly different shape as well, extends further out to clear the wheel, luckily had bought the st ones anyway. As it sits the rear is going to be about 1/4inch narrower than the front until I get the a-arms and driveshafts for the ST version. (Front st arms are proving difficult to find supposedly the xxt ones fit but atm dont have the funds available anyway). I ordered a CF rear shock tower for the rc10gt as well and it does look like I am going to be able to make it work if I feel the need to.

Got about halfway through gluing the buggy tires before I ran out of glue so going to the lhs tomorrow to get some more. Need to find a front shock tower as well so I can put front body mounts on the rig.
Didnt realize just how soft "soft" compound tires were, they were seriously not joking lol. Could not imagine a super soft compound. Hoping to get the brake disk tomorrow and should have them ready to go by the weekend!

finally got the brake disk in on Friday, so was able to get that installed and was able to run the truck/buggy this weekend a little. the Jconcept tires pin downs and carvers are super grippy! i am loving it! i do think its a bit over-geared for grass running as I'm still running the buggy clutchbell (17T for the buggy, 15T for the ST). so a new clutchbell will probably be in the future, on pavement/gravel it seems to do well though. going to be ordering some new o-rings for the engines soon though as i think the ones in it are allowing some sort of air leaks. fuel tank on mine definitely still has a small leak though patch job did not last long. couldnt figure out the wandering tune then remembered it was the one with a tank i tried repairing.
should be coming in this week!
was really awesome as last night me and the lady were both able to be running nitro rigs at the same time, and were both able to burn through a whole tank without anything breaking! she is definitely learning how to run them really quickly! i still help her by tuning it, but showing her what I'm doing as i am doing it so she can learn.
new Rx/Tx should be coming in today. was having her use my old JR Racing Xs3 controller from the LST until i could get her a new one.

finally got the brake disk in on Friday, so was able to get that installed and was able to run the truck/buggy this weekend a little. the Jconcept tires pin downs and carvers are super grippy! i am loving it! i do think its a bit over-geared for grass running as I'm still running the buggy clutchbell (17T for the buggy, 15T for the ST). so a new clutchbell will probably be in the future, on pavement/gravel it seems to do well though. going to be ordering some new o-rings for the engines soon though as i think the ones in it are allowing some sort of air leaks. fuel tank on mine definitely still has a small leak though patch job did not last long. couldnt figure out the wandering tune then remembered it was the one with a tank i tried repairing.
should be coming in this week!
was really awesome as last night me and the lady were both able to be running nitro rigs at the same time, and were both able to burn through a whole tank without anything breaking! she is definitely learning how to run them really quickly! i still help her by tuning it, but showing her what I'm doing as i am doing it so she can learn.
new Rx/Tx should be coming in today. was having her use my old JR Racing Xs3 controller from the LST until i could get her a new one.

Nice ,it is more fun when you have someone to run with ,me & my wife use to run together as well ,infact ,
the one Mgt is hers ,with the bug body ,she is the one who did the paint scheme on it ,I just put a new engine
on it an still needs to be broken in ,mine still needs to be put back together ,it is not broke ,I tore it down for
maintance!

It seems just not too long ago ,that Duratrax still produced those style buggies ,are they still alive in business?

Nice ,it is more fun when you have someone to run with ,me & my wife use to run together as well ,infact ,
the one Mgt is hers ,with the bug body ,she is the one who did the paint scheme on it ,I just put a new engine
on it an still needs to be broken in ,mine still needs to be put back together ,it is not broke ,I tore it down for
maintance!

It seems just not too long ago ,that Duratrax still produced those style buggies ,are they still alive in business?
they are in the hobby, but no longer making cars, mainly accessories, paint, batteries/chargers, and wheels/tires. (they really need to rename their Stadium truck tires to buggy tires, that also fit 1/16 cars lol)
that had the evader EXT and evader EXB rigs for awhile there, but those were a cheap version of the original evader, had bushings in place of bearings, no foams in tires etc. still decent trucks but a few shortfalls imo to keep costs down.

they are in the hobby, but no longer making cars, mainly accessories, paint, batteries/chargers, and wheels/tires. (they really need to rename their Stadium truck tires to buggy tires, that also fit 1/16 cars lol)
that had the evader EXT and evader EXB rigs for awhile there, but those were a cheap version of the original evader, had bushings in place of bearings, no foams in tires etc. still decent trucks but a few shortfalls imo to keep costs down.

I had a street force back in the day ,Duratrax was always a good economical way to get started in the hobby an
they also produced their own upgrades ,my friend across the street bought his sons both a electric truck & buggy ,
I think they still have them ,they never got rid of their toys ,the dad has the original Traxxas 4-tec an even still has
his 80's RC10 buggy with a new $60 dollar modified brush motor!

I checked at Towers ,an they still have some parts ,heres the link!....:cool:

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVSEARCH=duratrax+evader

I had a street force back in the day ,Duratrax was always a good economical way to get started in the hobby an
they also produced their own upgrades ,my friend across the street bought his sons both a electric truck & buggy ,
I think they still have them ,they never got rid of their toys ,the dad has the original Traxxas 4-tec an even still has
his 80's RC10 buggy with a new $60 dollar modified brush motor!

I checked at Towers ,an they still have some parts ,heres the link!....:cool:

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVSEARCH=duratrax+evader
They definitely were a great way to get into the hobby, tbh no idea how they were able to sell them as cheap as they did, been able to do the stress tech guarantee, 2 year engine warranty, and sell parts so cheap. Iirc they and their parts were cheaper than the rustler, the aluminum was a bit spendy comparatively, but not outrageous.

They definitely were a great way to get into the hobby, tbh no idea how they were able to sell them as cheap as they did, been able to do the stress tech guarantee, 2 year engine warranty, and sell parts so cheap. Iirc they and their parts were cheaper than the rustler, the aluminum was a bit spendy comparatively, but not outrageous.

Did you ever see that Hong Kong RCdamper aluminum candy store for the MGT.'s?

Wish I had someone to run with..... Might need to get one of these little rigs or something like it to just screw around when my Baja breaks (which it always does ?)

Wish I had someone to run with..... Might need to get one of these little rigs or something like it to just screw around when my Baja breaks (which it always does ?)

LOL....like 1/5 scale Baja?....I may have to buy a diaphragm kit for mine now ,it sat too long!...:hungry:

LOL....like 1/5 scale Baja?....I may have to buy a diaphragm kit for mine now ,it sat too long!...:hungry:
Yep a 1/5 Baja 5b converted to 5t with a clone team chase roll cage (had to get the clone since the original tc was out of stock), and I'm now building a 70/71cc engine for it, my thread is on large scale forums (ran by the same Woodie as here) the thread is called "Custom 70cc engine build" in case you want to check it out ? here's pics of my truck
IMG_20190512_194230_009.jpg
Also didn't know you bad one, 5b,5t or 5sc? Picssssss ?

i definitely recommend it! so much fun to cruise around! dont know if i like them more than my MGT's or LST, but completely different driving styles and different running.
sometimes a bit frustrating knowing that you could go over the terrain in the 4wd MT, but at the same time half the fun is the challenge.
i will say though if you are planning on getting a 2wd 1/10 nitro, i would have to recommend an AE RC10GT, as they were and still are so popular. so many aftermarket parts and parts availability even still.
that said as far as the evader itself is just as fun and similar enough to the RC10GT where it will scratch that itch.
bit cheaper to work on than the 1/5 scale as well ;)
have yet to run a 1/5 scale though, but one of these days i will get one. been reading a bit into the King Motor baja 1000 (2wd truck) dont think i would have the patience to do what you are with the engine though!
you could probably get a final parts list and sell kits for 70cc engines haha!

i definitely recommend it! so much fun to cruise around! dont know if i like them more than my MGT's or LST, but completely different driving styles and different running.
sometimes a bit frustrating knowing that you could go over the terrain in the 4wd MT, but at the same time half the fun is the challenge.
i will say though if you are planning on getting a 2wd 1/10 nitro, i would have to recommend an AE RC10GT, as they were and still are so popular. so many aftermarket parts and parts availability even still.
that said as far as the evader itself is just as fun and similar enough to the RC10GT where it will scratch that itch.
bit cheaper to work on than the 1/5 scale as well ;)
have yet to run a 1/5 scale though, but one of these days i will get one. been reading a bit into the King Motor baja 1000 (2wd truck) dont think i would have the patience to do what you are with the engine though!
you could probably get a final parts list and sell kits for 70cc engines haha!
When I'm ready Ill deffo look into the rc10gt! The km bajas are not bad, mine was a rovan but they are very similar. The difference between rovan and km is, km has a smaller engine but more aluminum/bling, rovan has more nylon plastic (not the brittle crap, nylon flexes) and has a bigger Engine, up to u which one you want but I opted for the rovan. I was thinking about making a build-it-yourself kit of my 70cc, all the parts would be premade and ready for assembly, just not assembled and the buyer would assemble it, and I would have a pre built version for people who don't have time/don't want to assemble the engine. The un assmebled version would be cheaper. I don't know if that will happen but just cool to think about, maybe I'll make it happen someday!

Yep a 1/5 Baja 5b converted to 5t with a clone team chase roll cage (had to get the clone since the original tc was out of stock), and I'm now building a 70/71cc engine for it, my thread is on large scale forums (ran by the same Woodie as here) the thread is called "Custom 70cc engine build" in case you want to check it out ? here's pics of my truck
View attachment 119122
Also didn't know you bad one, 5b,5t or 5sc? Picssssss ?

I didn't know it existed ,but I don't really mess with mine ,even though ,I did use to build & repair those types
of engines ,probably because I am burned out on them as I became the local towns small engine repair guy!

Mine is only the 23 size ,been wanting to up the size engine ,but ,it wont really be any good with out a 2 spd trans ,
all the power would be in vein with out the proper gearing!

I have been looking into a 2 spd set up though ,I did however ,installed a dual ring pist ,an did
a couple mods to it a while back!

Back