Hey gearheads:

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteelCityNitro

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
So I'm finally getting an inspection on wed on my 95 corvette. I have a few issues that I'm resolving now, but one that I'd like a few suggestions on is when I try to accelerate, the engine hesitates a little and then goes like hell. I've narrowed it down to maybe being dirty injectors, or stale fuel. I added some fresh high test to try and balance it out.. but no results. I don't think it needs new plugs and wires, since it only has 44,000 miles on it. When the car hesitates, there is a cloud of black smoke and then it goes.

O2 sensors will cause a rich engine as well. We had a Pontiac that the service light did not come on but the O2 sensor was bad.

My car has done that almost since I bought it with 17K on it. Only hesitates when I'm in OD and coming onto an on-ramp (heavy acceleration). Mines a ford 4.6L. Have read quite a bit that it may be weak coils... since I'm not at 100K, thinking of replacing the plugs and may replace all 8 coils at the same time to see if that's it.

I spent close to $700 over the period of a year or more, and no one could get it right. Took it to another shop just to fix it and sell it since I was fed up with it. Temp sensor was telling the computer that the engine was ALWAYS 5 degrees. Very cold, mix very rich.
Cost me $102 and I kept the car. It runs like new.
Also a Ford. 5.0 HO.

Temp sensor is an issue with alotta stuff in this case. also, check your egr.. early to late 90's, GM had an issue with EGR clogging up n sticking open. caused alot of isues on the 4.3 motors. and by alot, i mean I've taken apart over 200 GM's and cleaned the EGR and re-installed them having solved the problem that no one had tried.

Should u take it apart only to find a hung-up EGR, typically throttle body cleaner will take care of the problem. free it up, and clean it up. Then...to prevent this from happening again, cuz it will, when you go to replace the gasket, either 1. buy the gasket with the screen on it OR 2. super glue a "kitchen Sink spigot screen" over the hole...thus preventing shmegg from gettin into the valve.

One way to TRY and see if it IS INFACT your wires, which, i wouldnt doubt one bit, is to take a bottle of water in a spray bottle, and wait till dark. Then open your hood, turn out all lights, and spray down your wires with water.. see if you can see any arking. Under a hard load, spark will take the quickest, easiest path out.. and in all honesty dood..prolly wouldnt hurt to change plugs n wires..yes..its a Mo-Fo..i know. lol

Just be glad it aint newer..cuz the 2000 and newer ones are soooooooo horrible to change..dist cap is behind the water pump...thats right, in between block and water pump..typically that style one starts to miss about the same time the water pump takes a dump! lol

anyhow, give it a shot..let us know!

I just really hate the idea of screwing around with this car.. you pretty much have to be a gynecologist to do anything under the hood, even though it's practically the whole front clip.

Does it have OBDII? I can't remember the year it started to be in all the cars.
If it does, you can plug in a reader. It might tell you something even though the check engine light isnt on.

Does it have OBDII? I can't remember the year it started to be in all the cars.
If it does, you can plug in a reader. It might tell you something even though the check engine light isnt on.

96 GM started obd2..

---------- Post added at 7:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 7:39 AM ----------

I just really hate the idea of screwing around with this car.. you pretty much have to be a gynecologist to do anything under the hood, even though it's practically the whole front clip.

Pittsburgh eh!? lol hello neighbor! I'm from Kittanning..ring a bell? lol On another note, yah..wish i was a gynecologist, but ill settle for being a good mechanic instead. LOL

96 GM started obd2..

---------- Post added at 7:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 7:39 AM ----------

Pittsburgh eh!? lol hello neighbor! I'm from Kittanning..ring a bell? lol On another note, yah..wish i was a gynecologist, but ill settle for being a good mechanic instead. LOL

Ah yeah, I've been through Kittanning I dated a college chick from Greenville who had family there

LOL RALPH.

You can check to see if it's an obd II by looking at the plug. I'm sure it's not, but GM had some 95's with obd II. Basically they ran out of 95 parts and started using 96 stuff to complete the 95 orders.

I'm going to let the garage mess with this one for now, maybe they will get it taken care of... if not then I will get my hands dirty

It absolutely HAS to be connected to the computer to show the error code. Without that, you can change parts for days without a solution.
Do NOT go to a mechanic without the proper testing equipment. You'll be wasting time and money.
You can also disconnect the battery for 10 minutes so your car's computer can reset itself. It will probably run perfectly for several minutes. If it goes back to the same problem it IS a sensor. Nothing else.

Last edited: