Hesitation issue with my stampede

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
those dont have a punch control do they? for some reason i though VXL was a mamba re-badge but do not quote me on that.
might have been a setting got messed up?
The vxl-3s doesn't have much for settings. I think there are 3 modes, forward/brake only, forward/reverse and training mode which is f/r @50%. I have one in my eJato from my stampede 4x4 vxl.

The vxl-3s doesn't have much for settings. I think there are 3 modes, forward/brake only, forward/reverse and training mode which is f/r @50%. I have one in my eJato from my stampede 4x4 vxl.
thanks for the clarification on that. dont know much about the traxxas esc's except for the xl5 and even that i hardly knew anything about, just ran it the way it was till it smoked out lol.

And how did the servo act when you had it plugged into Channel 2, and were controlling it with the Tx's trigger?

Steering servo acted fine when I controlled it with the trigger.

I still think it's a receiver issue. If it was esc, multiple esc/motor combos wouldn't be doing the exact same thing. The receiver seems to be the "common denominator" and the starting point for troubleshooting. From swapping the channels if the steering worked fine on trigger, the transmitter is sending the signals fine.

If it doesn't fix it he can prob just return it but pretty sure that'll fix the issue. if I'm wrong, I'm wrong and not too proud to admit it. ;) But at least he'll know its oddly enough two bad escs and won't be guessing any more.

New rx was only $15. So it’s worth a shot. Not sure now much a new vxl esc costs but I’m sure it won’t be cheap

for some reason i though VXL was a mamba re-badge but do not quote me on that.
Nooo, no no no. Not that. Lol. Not even close.

Also, let us know if a new receiver solves ur issue. Spektrums are good systems when they work but they have had some accounts of people getting some glitchiness at times.

Also props to @D3MON for killing an xl5. I’ve never seen it done before to be honest lol.

Also props to @D3MON for killing an xl5. I’ve never seen it done before to be honest lol.
it was definitely due to die, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.
esc case had been snapped in half and reglued, then snapped in half the other way, reglued it again. half the heat sink fins were bent. i know we had at least 150 battery cycles on it over a summer. went through at least 15 titan 12t, (was a rustler with Aluminum A-Arms in the rear and running 2.2 Mashers.) was heavy for that truck.

Last edited:
it was definitely due to die, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.
esc case had been snapped in half and reglued, then snapped in half the other way, reglued it again. half the heat sink fins were bent. i know we had at least 150 battery cycles on it over a summer. went through at least 15 titan 12t, (was a rustler with Aluminum A-Arms in the rear and running 2.2 Mashers.) was heavy for that truck.
Yup that’ll do it. Me and a friend built a high power brushed rustler that uses an xl-5 on 4s

Nooo, no no no. Not that. Lol. Not even close.

Also, let us know if a new receiver solves ur issue. Spektrums are good systems when they work but they have had some accounts of people getting some glitchiness at times.

Here was the culprit
EC97A027-3920-4874-B8A4-A771ADEBA6E9.jpeg

Replaced with
20FB127D-C06D-484E-A03F-BEF0B019E7C8.jpeg

The range on the dsm2 rx is crazy.

All patched up

Now that I am wheeling like crazy. I have some sort of grinding sound now.
I believe I have my slipper set correct, and my gear mesh but it’s been a while since I’ve messed with one. Just going off YouTube
To me it sounds like either I stripped out something in the trans or my stock drive axles.
Let me know what you guys think

I still think it's a receiver issue. If it was esc, multiple esc/motor combos wouldn't be doing the exact same thing. The receiver seems to be the "common denominator" and the starting point for troubleshooting. From swapping the channels if the steering worked fine on trigger, the transmitter is sending the signals fine.

If it doesn't fix it he can prob just return it but pretty sure that'll fix the issue. if I'm wrong, I'm wrong and not too proud to admit it. ;) But at least he'll know its oddly enough two bad escs and won't be guessing any more.
I missed the part where he said he had it on two esc's. When your right, your right!

Sorry about sending you a bum receiver @Mattyfats420. I thought it was ok as when I have electrical things having issues, once I confirm it, I take off what parts I can use, then throw it away so I don't try using it again. Glad you got it sorted out.

The older single wire DSM receivers were horrible for me for range. Some had good luck with them, but I did not, regardless of transmitter (DX2,3,3.0,3R). As a final attempt, I bought the cheap orange knock off DSM2 receivers that had a coaxial antenna. My range went from 50-75 yards to 250+ further than I could see to really operate. Then they would die on me after about 6 months and I was replacing them with the spektrum SR210 as it was the cheapest OEM receiver I could find that had a coaxial antenna. They seemed to last longer and go just as far as the orange ones.

Glad you got at least one part figured out and fixed bud ;)
Not sure on the grinding sound without hearing it though. Someone else will have to solve this mystery for ya :D

Glad you got at least one part figured out and fixed bud ;)
Not sure on the grinding sound without hearing it though. Someone else will have to solve this mystery for ya :D

It’s more of a clicking during hard acceleration

Is the pinion gear shimmed correctly to the driven gear? I think that model has a slight gap. Try using a thin strip of notebook paper, crank it through the gears, and if it comes out looking like an accordion, you did it right. Any slits that punch through = too close. Too flat = too far away.