Help with rock crawler purchase

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BamaFan

ROLL TIDE!!
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok guys need yall honest opinion on what is the best 1/8 scale rock crawler. Or do I need to go 1/10 scale. I'm completely new to rc rock crawling but it looks fun. I'm a nitro guy all the way so I will need everything for electric. Steer me in the right direction into what I will need as far as whats the best batteries to run and chargers etc. I really like the toyota body set up or the all out rock crawler with weighted wheels. I want this thing to be a beast so lets hear it guys whats my best choices out there right now. My budget is between $350-500 just to get started. I know I will spend more than that as time goes but I'm capping it at that to see if I will really enjoy it that much. Thanks guys I'm open to all suggestions.

Your gonna need to figure out a few things first. You had mentioned the Toyota body (does look pretty cool set up as a truggy) but also a comp type crawler. They are two different beasts in themselves. Do you want a capable "realistic" rig to scale crawl with or a full out comp type rig primarily for just difficult rock formations? My experience is it is near impossible to find a capable rig to do both. Also when looking at a comp type rig you have MOA (motor on axle) or a shaft drive type rig that can be used. Typically the moa is more competitive but I've seen plenty of VERY capable shaftys do just as well.

Part 2 of this is the quality you have in 1\8 is minimal at best as well. You have a couple to choose from but they are from the likes of exceed, Redcar and other inferior (my opinion) manufacturers. I would suggest you look into either Axial or RC4WD for 1\10 scale rigs. Axial and Losi are good comp type rigs that are shaft drive and a Berg or Axial XR10 for a comp MOA type rig.

Opinion wise I prefer the AX10 platform for a shafty comp rig
A Axial XR10 for MOA
And either RC4WD or Axial for a scale type rig

Thanks man for your info. I was checking out the rc4wd. That thing looks like a beast. whats my best options on battery and charger. It says 2s lipo plus charger. Do I need two 2s lipo batteries? What mah should I buy? 5000?

Last edited:
I have a comp rig, an SCX 10 Rubicon, and a Wraith. Out of all of them, IMO the Wraith is the most fun. It splits the line nicely between true scalers like the SCX platform, and 2.2 comp rigs due to being much, much wider than the SCX platform and having the wheels exposed which yields unimpeded articulation and a lot of steering lock. You can buy a stock Wraith and have tons of fun and still have money left over for batteries and such. It has a few weak links, but it's one of my favorite rigs, and with the right motor / driveline upgrades it makes a pretty fun basher as long as you don't expect something that it's not.

I use a 5000 mAH 2s or 5000 mAH 3s batteries in my SCX-10/JK and get run times in excess of 30 minutes on each with a 4600kV brushless.

I have a Bully Based MOA comp crawler for sale. PM me if you're interested. I bought it from Slowngreen here in the forums but never really got into crawling.

I still prefer to run a brushed setup in my SCX but with a 2S 5000mah battery. With such a minimal power draw I see runtimes upwards of an hour of straight abuse with no hiccups. I would recommend if you have the funds to get 2 or 3 batteries of your choice. Theres times where Ill go for a hike with my rig and will go all day with just a couple of parts and 2-3 batteries to keep me running.