Help with esc

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zachattack30412

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I am controlling the EZrun 18a esc from an arduino. I tried many different sketches and the most I could get it to do is vibrate. I read that a vibrating motor could be a broken phase, So I detached the motor and measured each phase of the esc while it was running with a multimeter. The blue/orange phase and the yellow/orange phase both outputted around 4 volts, but the blue/yellow phase outputted 0 volts. Is this a broken phase on the esc, If so can I fix it or do I need a new ESC?

The esc is more than likely ok its just not sensing and signal from a standard radio.. are you sure this esc is Arduino compatible? as in will it see the Adriano control signal as a radio frequency?. Have you done a Adriano to esc calibration yet? sorry I'm not a robot person but I do enjoy a good challenge fwd neutral brake have to be pre programmed into esc to see signal to know what to do.
user manual.it tells you how to calibrate /program esc
https://www.hobbywing.com/products/enpdf/EzRun60A.pdf
it might say 60a in link but there is a 18a part

I have calibrated it according to the instructions before using this code, and I used the program card that came with it to program it the right way. How do I know if it is arduino compatible?
I have added my arduino code.

#include <Servo.h>
Servo ESC; // create servo object to control the ESC
int potValue; // value from the analog pin
void setup() {
Serial.begin(9600);
// Attach the ESC on pin 9
ESC.attach(9,1000,2000); // (pin, min pulse width, max pulse width in microseconds)
}
void loop() {
potValue = analogRead(A0); // reads the value of the potentiometer (value between 0 and 1023)
potValue = map(potValue, 0, 1023, 0, 180); // scale it to use it with the servo library (value between 0 and 180)
ESC.write(potValue);
Serial.println(potValue);
// Send the signal to the ESC
}

I really dont think you know what calibration is.. you have to physically hookup the esc to -,+ and frequency.. from electronics. then you need to start esc (i think while holding program button in then send the signals the esc it is looking for. forward. Brake. neutral position on Adriano.. turn esc off then test it by taking wheels off and surface hit light forward .test all things forward stop or reverse and neutral position..
how to calibrate a ezrun 18a esc..all i could find was this link might help
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...rch?q=calibrate+a+ezrun+18a++esc+&FORM=HDRSC3

yes that esc is Arduino compatible. look down in the calibration section... on this link..

http://techmonkeybusiness.com/programming-and-calibrating-the-ezrun-18a-escs.html

Had balmaki and orange chicken 3 days ago with egg drop soup..

I did calibrate it the right way, following the tutorial, and still the same result. This may have been a result of accidentally having the esc plugged in backwards(My battery, esc connector or adapter was soldered backwards, but I fixed that a while ago.) Is this because of poor soldering on my part, or is the esc fried from having it backwards?

more than likely that esc is fried due to reverse voltage.id try another make sure voltage is correct b4 powering up,all the facts up front would have saved alot of time and undue stress.

Ok. This is strange though, because the lights still light up and it still tries (but fails due to broken phase) to use motor as beeper. Is there any chance that there is maybe just a short circuit or something else I can fix, or do I just give up? (I know it seems ridiculous to be trying to fix a $20 esc, but I am just 14, and don't have much money, so I would prefer not to spend it)