Help with charging batteries plz

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetlou069

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hi I'm new to nitro rc cars i need to charge the batteries for the servos but i dont no how long , same for the glow plug , servo battery are 1700 mah 6v ni mj rx battery n the charger i use for it is a acdc adapter direct plug in input 120v 60hz 1.5w output 6 vdc 100ma but theres a light on it n when i plug the battery it turn in ( does it mean when battery is fully charge light turns off ?)
Go plug is ni cd sc 1600mah 1.2v charger input ac 110v 120v 60hz output dc 1.25v 170 ma ( again this one hase a light) how long do they take to charge n will the light turn off when fully charged thx

The rule of thumb I use for rx batteries is charge 1 watt per 1000 mah. So 1700 mah would charge at a rate of 1.7w,
What model of charger are you using? Sounds like it may have an automatic shut off but don't rely solely on the auto shut off. Check your batteries frequently while charging, its normal for batteries to be warm while charging but not hot. Unplug your charger immediately if your batteries are hot in your hand. I think my batteries take about 30 minutes at the most after initial charge.

Glo plug igniters, if you have a 1600 mah battery you should be charging at about 160 mA

Your charger should get you by but a variable rate charger will get you charged much quicker.

Last edited:
Hi I'm new to nitro rc cars i need to charge the batteries for the servos but i dont no how long , same for the glow plug , servo battery are 1700 mah 6v ni mj rx battery n the charger i use for it is a acdc adapter direct plug in input 120v 60hz 1.5w output 6 vdc 100ma but theres a light on it n when i plug the battery it turn in ( does it mean when battery is fully charge light turns off ?)
Go plug is ni cd sc 1600mah 1.2v charger input ac 110v 120v 60hz output dc 1.25v 170 ma ( again this one hase a light) how long do they take to charge n will the light turn off when fully charged thx

Its just a box u plug in wall n theres a wire its not a good one but cheap one the model number is 10214 ofna

from fully flat (5.4v), your Rx pack will take about 20.4 hours, this is worked out by 1700/100x1.2 = 20.4 hours

(1700 is the mAh of the battery, 100 is the mAh of the charger and the 1.2 is a rough figure to take into account energy loss through heat.)

for the glow igniter, it would be roughly 11.5 hours to fully charge from completely flat (0.9v)
( 1600/170x1.2 = 11.5 hours)

The advise given above is correct, stop charging when the battery starts to get hot, the reason they get hot is because the battery is fully charged and the input from the charger is just being converted to heat.

I would recommend a better charger that has a delta peak cut-off, and is able to charge at 0.5c ( 800mah for the glow igniter and 850mah for the RX pack) The reason for the higher charge rate when using a delta peak charger is so the delta peak is not missed as is quite likely at lower charge rates (0.1 - 0.3c)

Thx you but that little red light on the charger is it just a light to tell its charging or when battery is full will it shut off ??

I very much doubt it will auto cut off, its likely just a trickle charger going by the specs you provided. 100mAh is not enough to provoke a reliable delta peak signal. I would hazard a guess the light just lets you know the battery is connected and charging.

I agree with Gavin...Sounds like its just a el cheapo overnight charger. probably doesn't shut off and really doesn't need to since 50-100mah is a common trickle charge anyway. just stick the batteries on in the evening and by the next day the'll most likely be charged. I also agree with gavin that you should get a delta peak charger. can be a cheap one as long as its a delta peak charger. something like THIS