Help with a more precise remote

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minotauro

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Looking for some advice, on how to achieve more precise control of a 1/10 scale electric r/c car. I am a film student, and for our project, I need to place a small cam on an R/C, (osmo pocket 2), and provide a controlled low shot with an R/C vehicle. I will also need to take this outdoors, in grass, off-road etc. I purchased a low cost r/c truck, bezgar hm101, however I'm finding the original remote control to be far from precise, even with the throttle trim all the way down, it's still extremely difficult to get anything resembling controlled movement.

I'm wondering if there is anything that I can do to remedy this with the existing vehicle, perhaps a better remote control unit, or an upgraded control board for the truck. Or going with a different r/c vehicle all together. Thanks in advance.

Looking for some advice, on how to achieve more precise control of a 1/10 scale electric r/c car. I am a film student, and for our project, I need to place a small cam on an R/C, (osmo pocket 2), and provide a controlled low shot with an R/C vehicle. I will also need to take this outdoors, in grass, off-road etc. I purchased a low cost r/c truck, bezgar hm101, however I'm finding the original remote control to be far from precise, even with the throttle trim all the way down, it's still extremely difficult to get anything resembling controlled movement.

I'm wondering if there is anything that I can do to remedy this with the existing vehicle, perhaps a better remote control unit, or an upgraded control board for the truck. Or going with a different r/c vehicle all together. Thanks in advance.

I would do a Spectrum set up ,with a 3 channel rec. ,if you get into racing ,you will need that 3rd channel
for a transponder to count your lap!..:thumbs-up:
You should be able to get a set up at Horizon hobby for $ 129.00

Here is my Speky!

i personally hate Spektrum unreliable at best and they have no best .. any fly sky radio just pick a unit with the amount of channel you need.

What do you mean by controlled movement? Is it too jerky when starting and stopping? Is it too fast? Since you are making videos, it would be a huge help to see one showing the problems you are trying to solve.

Getting nice, fluid motion with an RC car is going to be hard. You can get a remote that has the ability to adjust the exponential so the ramp up from a stop takes longer. Most hobby grade remotes should have that option.

Good hobby grade remotes are Sanwa, Futaba, and the higher end Spektrums.

There are a lot of cheaper remotes as well. Flysky remotes will have some adjustments you can play with. The GT3 and GT5's have the exponential adjustment. As far as cheap ones go, these are the only ones I would recommend.

As far as vehicles go, you picked a basher, meaning it's made for going fast, jumping, rough riding, etc. They have soft suspension that is made to handle rough terrain.

If you need speed, and aren't concerned with going over really rough terrain, a buggy would have a lower center of gravity, and be a bit more stable during throttle movements and cornering.

Then there are rock crawlers. If you don't need the speed, there are lots of options here for navigating various terrains. If you are thinking along the lines of moon rover type footage, this is what you want.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the advice. For controlled movement, I was referring to really jerky starting and turning, meaning as soon as throttle kicks in, it just goes, like an on/off switch, there is no ease in option. And with turning, it's also not very controlled, as in any small amount of turn input, gives me almost full lock side to side. I understand that I won't get extremely fluid movement, however, perhaps one of the remotes mentioned above will give me the ability to adjust the controls. I found several of the models mentioned above, the gt3 and gt5 remotes in particular, they both come with RX units as well, I'm assuming I will have to connect the RX receiver to the remote control car body as well?

Thats because you bought a cheap POS. Not trying to be mean or hurtful just honest. You need something with a sensored motor set up in it to get the smoothest starting and stopping which isnt going to be cheap. Otherwise look at the Traxxas VXL kits. probably work fine and not be as expensive. They'll certainly turn better

Thanks for all of the advice. For controlled movement, I was referring to really jerky starting and turning, meaning as soon as throttle kicks in, it just goes, like an on/off switch, there is no ease in option. And with turning, it's also not very controlled, as in any small amount of turn input, gives me almost full lock side to side. I understand that I won't get extremely fluid movement, however, perhaps one of the remotes mentioned above will give me the ability to adjust the controls. I found several of the models mentioned above, the gt3 and gt5 remotes in particular, they both come with RX units as well, I'm assuming I will have to connect the RX receiver to the remote control car body as well?
Yes. You will have to use the receiver in the car. How many wires are on the servo? If it has 5, you will also need a servo. Does the current setup have an ESC and RX all in one unit? If so, you will also need an ESC.

I apologize for the lack of details, my problem is the abrupt start on the vehicle, where it just starts moving at a fairly high rate of speed, and the less than accurate steering control, where the inputs don't necessarily reflect the reaction of the vehicle. I need to be able to start the vehicle from almost a crawl, and ramp up the speed progressively, and hopefully have something that resembles semi-accurate steering inputs.
Yes. You will have to use the receiver in the car. How many wires are on the servo? If it has 5, you will also need a servo. Does the current setup have an ESC and RX all in one unit? If so, you will also need an ESC.
The r/c is in my car, il have to check, here is the unit that I have https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YXSCZD4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I apologize for the lack of details, my problem is the abrupt start on the vehicle, where it just starts moving at a fairly high rate of speed, and the less than accurate steering control, where the inputs don't necessarily reflect the reaction of the vehicle. I need to be able to start the vehicle from almost a crawl, and ramp up the speed progressively, and hopefully have something that resembles semi-accurate steering inputs.

The r/c is in my car, il have to check, here is the unit that I have https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YXSCZD4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yes, I looked up the car. I won't be as blunt as Grey, but yeah, you get what you pay for.

Understanding you are a student, I assume you have limited funds for this. Are there no grants available for your project? I would talk to your school and ask. Maybe there are some available to you. When I was in school a couple years ago there were lots of grants I could apply for.

As it is, you are left with either spending another $50-$100 or so (depending on answers to questions I asked about servo and ESC), or buying a complete RC that comes with better components already.

How fast do you need to go?

Yes, I looked up the car. I won't be as blunt as Grey, but yeah, you get what you pay for.

Understanding you are a student, I assume you have limited funds for this. Are there no grants available for your project? I would talk to your school and ask. Maybe there are some available to you. When I was in school a couple years ago there were lots of grants I could apply for.

As it is, you are left with either spending another $50-$100 or so (depending on answers to questions I asked about servo and ESC), or buying a complete RC that comes with better components already.

How fast do you need to go?
For this particular projector no grants are available. I am okay with spending another $100 or more, and I would be okay with returning this r/c truck and getting something with better components. As far as speed is concerned, not very fast at all, I would say 25-30mph is max, I need more low speed control, than high speed ability. Preferably the same size as the r/c truck which I currently have, given the increased stability over rough surfaces. I've looked at more expensive options, that come with a brushless motor, however all of them advertised speed as a main advantage, which I don't need. I paid $110 for this r/c truck, I'm okay with spending $200-300.

This is another truck I looked at, however, the highspeed option really turned me away,

https://www.banggood.com/ZD-Racing-...1T&akmClientCountry=America&cur_warehouse=USA

If it were me, I would be looking at an Arrma, Losi, or Associated RC. Even though they advertise speed on them as well, they will have FAR better electronics in them and will move at low speeds as well more smoothly.

If it were me, I would be looking at an Arrma, Losi, or Associated RC. Even though they advertise speed on them as well, they will have FAR better electronics in them and will move at low speeds as well more smoothly.
Any particular models?

Any particular models?

This is a search for 1/10 RTR models with a price range from $200-$299. You can adjust the filters to find the right vehicles... have a look and let us know what looks interesting.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/search?q=1/10+rtr&pmin=200.00&pmax=300.00&srule=best-matches&sz=24

Note:
If you find a Kyosho at Tower Hobbies you like, they will allow you to use a coupon on those. If you sign up for a Tower membership for like $10 I think, you will get access to higher coupons. And I should have mentioned Kyosho. For the money, you won't find a better RC IMO 😉

I am looking at the rival mt10, I'm assuming that I will need to purchase the transmitter and battery separately.

Last edited:
A "RTR" means ready to run. It comes with everything except the battery and charger.
Oh that makes sense. The listing for the associated mt10 listing, they don't show a transmitter, and I'm curious if the one that's included will have adjustable settings. I might just follow your advice and sign up for their membership, doesn't hurt to save a few bucks with coupons.

The RTR radios don't have many options other than trim and dual rate. But even so, you are going to be much better off than what you have.

If you go with that Rival, expect to spend another $100+ on a battery and charger. I assume all you have currently is a LiOn pack and USB charger that came with your truck?

The RTR radios don't have many options other than trim and dual rate. But even so, you are going to be much better off than what you have.

If you go with that Rival, expect to spend another $100+ on a battery and charger. I assume all you have currently is a LiOn pack and USB charger that came with your truck?
Correct, the charger and LiON batteries that came with it. Would using lower MAH batteries give me better speed control? less throttle

Correct, the charger and LiON batteries that came with it. Would using lower MAH batteries give me better speed control? less throttle
No, the mAh of the battery is the capacity of the battery. The higher the mAh, the longer the run time. Like having a bigger gas tank vs a smaller one. The cell count, which is represented by the S, such as 2S, 3S, etc is the voltage. The more voltage, the more power, ie faster.

Motors and ESC's are designed to run with a certain range of voltages. If you want to slow the vehicle down, run the lowest cell count for the car. You can also put a smaller pinion and bigger spur gear in to slow it down. You can put smaller diameter tires on it as well.

Going with a brushless RC, you are going to be running LiPo batteries. This will require some understanding of LiPo care and charging. You will want to watch some vids, do some reading, etc, before you buy LiPo's. They are very safe if you are educated, or very dangerous if you aren't. It's that simple. So make sure you understand what you are doing before buying one.

I cannot provide any more help than these guys can by far. Just wanna put in a good word. These guys are top notch. They can get you with some help to right at where u wanna be. The easiest cheapest (best option for budget I should say) way. So just saying don't derail from advice given if u can. I see lots of ppl ask questions then wanna but this or that.....no need here.

Sry. Just wanted to help

Back